Smart deadbolts, the Australian edition

Speaking of smart deadbolts… Has anyone had joy with:

August Home ASL-03, AC-R1 Smart Lock Pro + Connect Wi-Fi Bridge Bundle, 100, Silver

and integration with HA. I see there is an august module for HA. I think the only issue is it does support z-wave but is US/EU which is no good here.
It’s got wifi through the bridge(yuk why couldn’t they integrate it) so i’m guessing it should all be okie dokie.

I like that it also supports bluetooth proximity unlocking as well which others don’t seem to do well ?

It’s either that or the Yale256 but that doesn’t do bluetooth proximity, only config from what i can see. It also has no key in case the battery dies (but it does have an extra 9v battery backup apparently). This is a bit worrying being 15 floors up and i wouldn’t fancy abseiling down to the balcony should it go nipples north. Chances are remote though.

I can see from some of the above posts the yale256 integrates in to HA.

Any comments on the above 2 smart locks (themselves and HA integration) would be most appreciated, especially the august smart lock pro gen 3 as that’s a $400 international purchase i’d prefer not to go through the rigmarole of returning.

Thank guys

August is a cloud device according to the docs. I’d be worried about more than running out of battery. What happens when August do a google and ditch their api? Or simply go broke? Or do a data dump to the world and expose your door to everyone in the world? Or as simple as the power is off in your building and you have no internet because the router has no power?

Insecure security is as useful as the description suggests.

1 Like

A Sonoff SV controlling a cheap fail secure strike lock (like this) on your exisiting door lock means easy WiFi control, HA intergration with Tasmota and secure door in the case of a power lose - just use your key as normal. Total cost if you are handy with a drill and 12v wiring is about $30. VERY cheap and non cloud based solution.

LOL didn’t we have this conversation in another thread this week?

We sure did :wink:

Cheers for the replies fellas, appreacited.

@nickrout
I wasn’t aware the august was a cloud service… But that’s a moot point anyways if HA can connect to it over WIFI / Z-Wave … or am i missing something ? I’d most likely firewall off the device like lifx and harmony etc. Unless you really want the remote notifcations etc from their app. But HA (and vpn) would do that anyway right ?

Please tell me if im incorrect before i take the plunge.

Re: battery. The august locks bolt on to the back of your existing deadbolt.
Apologies, I neglected to mention that, I only mentioned that about the Yale. So if you get bat flatteries you can still manually unlock as normal. It would be somewhat crazy to install a battery only operated lock in a high rise :slight_smile:

@kanga_who
Are you joking? My cat could kick the door open using that type of strike, might as well leave your front door open and automate it that way. :laughing:
This is probably one of the reasons why smartlocks are made as deadbolts. :+1:

Any further info would be most welcome.

Cheers

@nucy999 yeah, I was joking. All I ever do on these forums is post for LOLs.

I can’t see the part in your OP where you mention you have a 150kg Cat that is capable of taking a 5-10m run up to kick a door down. Please link that to me if I have indeed missed it.

The lock I linked too is a cheaper lock, but still has a break force of 500kg. You can get these locks with well over 1000kg breaking force. If you have a neighborhood full of 150kg cats that often like to randomly take run-ups and shoulder-charge peoples front doors, then using a lock like this is the least of your problems.

Perhaps do a little research, these locks are used in millions upon millions of office buildings around the world. They happen to stop almost all most cats.

3 Likes

Ah I see, your brother is your father.

Whilst your reinforcement of the 12 dolla chinese lock with a 500kg rated force could’ve been a turning point for my decision… No gary.

I ended up pulling the pin on a Smartlock pro with network dobalacky:

and a

Which is bump resistant, pretty solid and listed compatible with the above smartlock.

I’ll report back ont he experience after it arrives…if anyone without webbed toes is interested :hugs:

Ohhh no, I’m so offended!

That actually made me laugh though, good job. If you don’t like the suggestion someone makes, just say it’s not for me. This isn’t some teen forum where we call each other names.

Grow up.

1 Like

:+1: :+1::+1:

I was only going to give you one thumbs up but 3 thumbs meet the 10 char minimum …

Having installed countless door strikes over many years I agree that those strikes are great. Realistically the door is going to break before the lock does. That goes for any deadbolt too, kick a door hard enough and the door will break at the point where the deadbolt is mounted since there is less material at that point. (don’t get me started on double doors, they kick in far too easily)

@nucy999 if you are that worried about the door being kicked in I would strongly suggest using a security screen rather than wasting money on automated deadbolts, at least the screens (good ones) have 3 point locking, plus open outwards so are much harder to kick in than a wooden entry door… but looks like you bought one so it would be good to hear your thoughts on it anyway so it might help others to decide.

1 Like

But I have a fire door :frowning:

Really? At the top of the integrations page.

IoT class: Cloud Polling

No, it connects to, and is entirely dependent on, the cloud service.

You are incorrect. And as far as I can see from your subsequent responses to @kanga_who, you are also a rude child who, if I were in charge, would be booted from the forum.

2 Likes

Even though i’ve already bought the parts, I thought rather than dismiss kangas comments i’d do some research. I’ve got a spare hour :slight_smile:

I called up a local locksmith who was quite helpful. Kanga is correct decent strikes are rated to 500+ kgs such as the lockwood ES2000 and ES3000 Monitored series. You’d have to get the monitored model. Unfortunately a decent fire rated strike would set you back ~$350. You’d also need a decent mortice lock which would set you back another ~$300.

You’d then have to install it in your door and frame. I’m in a high rise as mentioned and modifying the frame would void the fire rating apparently. Bit of a no no.

These strikes require a 12V DC or 24V A which you would have to hook up. Using a failsafe strike as to not be locked out in case of power failure.

Then connecting that to a sonoff SV which i assume would require programming and integration.

Whilst it seems doable, looks expensive and a lot of work. The August seems to use your existing lock, require little to no modifcation of your door and frame and takes 10 minutes to install.

Cheers

Where did you mention you needed a monitored, fire rated lock in your OP? It helps when you provide all the information.

If anyones interested its black friday and they have a sale on both the smart lock and a supported compatible lock. Note the lock must be single barrel deadbolt, double will not work.

https://www.amazon.com.au/Schlage-Single-Cylinder-Deadbolt-Chrome/dp/B0030ZUC3M/ref=sr_1_1?keywords=Schlage%2BB60N%2Bsingle&qid=1574978856&s=home-improvement&sr=1-1

https://www.amazon.com.au/August-Smart-Connect-Technology-AUG-SL03-C02-S03/dp/B0752V8D8D/ref=sr_1_1?crid=36DGG808TJ4XO&keywords=august+smart+lock+pro&qid=1574978405&smid=A4XRJ8S0WXSO0&sprefix=august+smar%2Caps%2C302&sr=8-1#customerReviews

That’s $312 for both delivered which is better than the $480 i paid whoops… $312 is pretty good for even just to test…
(I cancelled and reordered. Go amazon).

I called August Support and the device supports wifi without the cloud but yes you can use it with there app for remote functionality etc. It is not dependent on internet access.
It also does support z-wave but i’m pretty sure its only US/EU frequency but i was told YMMV so lets see what happens.

Cheers

I’m not Australian (nor kiwi either, nick et al) but I have to say that this thread is one of the most pragmatic and informative threads I read (but don’t contribute to)
Thank you all
Keep on, keeping on ! :+1:

1 Like

You are being silly again. This is the home assistant forum. If you want to use it in home assistant, you’ll be dependent on its connection to the cloud.

I don’t bloody care whether it works locally with your cellphone. To use it in home assistant you need the lock to be connected to the cloud.

Got it now?

Has anyone had much luck with this one? I already have a Lockwood mortise lock in my house so I was hoping this would be a simpler installation compared to one of the Samsung locks.

Happy to give it a go if you can pay for the lock :joy: