Smart deadbolts, the Australian edition

I can’t remember the exact number but I recall there being some serious $$$ involved! (I’d say worth it if it works out properly!)

Hi guys,
What is the best deadbolt today to use with home assistant? Preferably keyless lock with pin code or fingerprint support.

I’m looking to replace my mortice lock with a smart mortice lock.
Looks like my options jump from $300 for cylinder locks to $800 for a mortice - and i’m not sure they work with home assistant!

For $800, I could replace my door and get a cylinder lock with Zigbee.

Have you come across any options that i’ve missed?

I got a couple of these.

Also got a $5.00 iTead pre-flashed zigbee USB dongle for my RPi and used the Zigbee2mqtt integration to configure it in HA.

Installed the locks, powered them up and they were discovered immediately. The only thing I need to get working is the battery level. It is reporting and appears in the Developer Tools “States” list, but does not display on Lovelace. Shouldn’t be too hard to figure out, but isn’t a high priority at the moment.

1 Like

Entities only appear in lovelace if you program lovelace to include them (unless you are using the auto generated lovelace, but many people aren’t, because they want their own dashboard.

Hi Nick

Yeah, I’m using the auto-generated Lovelace. Haven’t got the requisite skills or courage to customise it at this stage of my learning curve. Will get there eventually but at the moment it’s a case of “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.”

I’ll probably get around to making a duplicate of my HA and having a play with it on a spare RPi, so I can’t do any damage. lol.

This a good philosophy :slight_smile:

Does the battery appear as an entity, or as an attribute? If it is an attribute you can make an entity out of it and it will then appear. Let me know if you need help with any of that!

Oh and you can set up lovelace so you have the autogenerated version and a custom version.

Hi again. It is an entity “sensor.back_door_lock_battery” which has an attribute “battery”. The attribute contains the battery level as a percentage (currently “90”) There is a similar entity for the front door lock, which also has a “battery” attribute.

I was just researching how to make a custom card that will display this information (and getting thoroughly confused in the process.)

Could you do some more detail? Best way might be to click the entity in dev-tools/states and then copy/paste the attribute and state info to the forum.

Hi. Here is a screen shot of the Dev. Tools relevant info. I did it this way because it shows the “link quality” sensor and attribute, which does work. Maybe you can see something obvious that makes the battery sensor and attribute not display? The only significant difference I can spot is that there is no “icon” attribute for the battery sensor.

Hi. The solution to this turned out to be simple, if not elegant. All I had to do was create a group using the sensors for each battery. Restart HA and voila! A card with the sensors and values. I would have preferred the state, link quality and battery level to be on the same card, but I can work on that later.

Thanks for your help.

Can anyone comment on the Kogan SmarterHome™ IP54 Battery Powered Fingerprint Smart Wi-Fi Door Lock at as https://www.kogan.com/au/buy/kogan-smarterhome-ip54-battery-powered-fingerprint-smart-wi-fi-door-lock/ $299

Does anybody have experience with these, it seems pretty cheap, and what is compatibility with HA like?.

It seems to fit all the things I want it to do.

Can you pls share a link to where you got the USB dongle.

You buy the itead dongle from itead: https://www.itead.cc/smart-home/cc2531-usb-dongle.html

However it is probably not the best thing to buy now. Get a zig zig ah "Zzh!" (short for "Zig-a-zig-ah!") open-source hardware licensed Zigbee USB-stick based on TI CC2652R

1 Like

If you use ZHA instead of Zigbee2MQTT then you can alternatively buy and hack ITead Sonoff ZBBridge

This seems like a good option from Gainborough and is a proper deadlock/deadbolt.
https://www.gainsboroughhardware.com.au/en/freestyle.html
https://www.gainsboroughhardware.com.au/en/products/gfs8951aur.html

Be awesome if this can be integrated to Home Assistant.

Adding this here too to expand the list :slight_smile:

Yale Unity Entrance Lock is compatible with HA!

I just installed it today with the intent of integrating it as a HomeKit lock but I was able to use the built in August integration to handle it via the (optional) access bridge.

It’s a (really) expensive lock but I was able to get it on sale last week from JB so that took a little sting out of it.

2 Likes

Hi all,
Long thread and a lot changes so forgive me if I’ve skimmed the last two years, summary seems to be:
Only Xiaomi lock is listed officially as integration, but recent reports suggest the $~890 Yale Unity lock works too?

I was browsing and saw this at Bunnings: https://www.bunnings.com.au/lockwood-zigbee-digital-deadbolt_p0092400

For about $290 @rusty_away suggests the Lockwood Zigbee, and for those of us with Conbee or Zigbee2MQTT this seems like:

1. the cheapest way to get HASSIO and this HomeKit
  2. The best battery life possible

Keen to hear other thoughts

Edit: @sparkydave thanks I re-added the link after the forum warned of re-posting

I think you missed the link…

Cool. The most recent review looks promising!