Smart Locks compatible with home assistant

Was wondering about current thoughts on locks compatible with home assistant. I would prefer to have something that supports finger print, pins code and some method such as key to access or connect to backup power via usb.

2 Likes

Nuki smartlocks are ingenious, well-designed and don’t require any fitting (you leave the ley in the lock on the inside and the device clamps over it - ideal if you don’t own the property).

There is a HA integration which works and there are keypad and bluetooth options (not sure about fingerprint - I think I read they were working on one). Battery or rechargeable battery pack. The only problem is that they are very expensive - about £250 in the UK.

For a complete deadbolt replacement lock (not one that fits overtop of your existing deadbolt), I’ve had a great experience using the Yale Assure Lock 2 with Bluetooth. The Home Assistant core development team have done an excellent job with the August / Yale integrations, as well as the Bluetooth and Bluetooth Proxy integrations (shoutout to @bdraco), and it’s made my experience next to flawless once I corrected my Bluetooth dongle configuration.

You do have to initially setup the lock with Yale’s Home app, but once that’s completed, the Bluetooth integration is fully local. Bluetooth is, by design, a local point-to-point protocol, so no mandatory cloud connection here!

There is also support for Z-Wave and Zigbee modules for alternate network integration, but they’re tricky to find. There is a Wifi module, but I didn’t opt for this option. There is an HA integration for this option, but I have not tested this.

Yale has suggested they’re working on a Thread module which I’d be interested in, but the current Bluetooth integration is perfect.

1 Like

@EyeBrowse How did you find the key and slot number for the yale lock when you added it to HA? I tried the iPhone method (looking through backup files) but couldn’t find the slot integer. I tried rooting 4 android devices to try the android method but the only Android device I owned that was capable of being rooted was too old to support the lock.

@bphillips921 Install the August integration as well as the Yale integration. Once you login, it should immediately configure the private key from the lock. Once that’s done, you can remove the August integration.

The one clear fault/problem here: there’s absolutely no way to configure this lock without creating an account with Yale / August. You do have so register the lock with them once, and the.man you’re free to call the lock locally via Bluetooth or whatever other method you choose.

3 Likes

I was able to get it working with home assistant, then I did a firmware update on the lock and the connection stopped. I’ll try this way. I forget how it eventually started working the first time, several different methods tried.

Hi everyone, HA newbie here. I’m wondering if Lockin digital locks can be integrated to HA. It does work with Mijia and Apple Homekit. So I’m thinking of getting it to integrate with HA.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005005949703523.html

https://www.interlock.com.sg/lockin-v5-max-palm-vein-recognition-smart-lock.html

Fingerprint option is there for Nuki with keypad 2. Most important thing though to be aware of: Check if your lock can operate with a key inserted at both sides of the door at the same time. Many cilinders can not, leaving you with no backup entry method if the battery dies.
Personally I have a lock with a knob on the inside. With adapters present, also a perfect solution with the current lock, and none of the aforementioned problems.

1 Like

Yes, I put a knob on the inside too. I believe Nuki now sell a lock cylinder which will allow a key on both sides.

Thanks for the info. Does the Bluetooth integration with HA support PIN code creation or do you still have to use their app for that?

Also, do you have your HA instance 30 ft from the front door or do you use some sort of repeater

The Bluetooth integration supports lock actuating the lock (locking/unlocking), and viewing the status of the lock (battery, lock state).

Creating/manipulating/updating codes must be done via the Yale Home app at this time. I purchased this lock knowing these limitations hoping that their Thread module would eventually rectify these shortcomings, but given the delays of this module as well as Thread’s slow and fragmented development, I have accepted that this may never be improved.

My lock is within 20ft of my Home Assistant server, so luckily I did not have to utilize any form of Bluetooth proxy, though this wouldn’t be overly tricky to implement.

1 Like

I had also been waiting for the Matter/Thread module but the initial rollout has been very disappointing.

Have you heard if the Matter module supports the Door Sense sensor?

The Matter over Thread module doesn’t have a release date yet at all, let alone features / technical specifications defined. I would like to think that Yale is strategically delaying its production to allow the protocol and standard to mature to ensure they deploy a quality product with longevity and support in mind - but we won’t know until they actively ship the product.

As always, never buy a product on the promise of future updates/features. You must be satisfied with what is shipped present day as there’s no telling how long a business will support a product or even stay afloat.

From what I have read they have released the Matter version of the lock (shipped with a Matter module) but are not selling the module only for existing locks. When I purchased the locks the feature set (WiFi) was good, however reliability has been poor for my use case (Short Term rental) as the aprox twice per year factory resets (which are the support staff go to with any issue) are not practical and quite disruptive. As a pure residential lock I would be satisfied with it.
For STR I find the less features ZWave module much more reliable.