SmartIR - Control your Climate, TV and Fan devices via IR/RF controllers

Not sure whether this is due to a change in HA climate platform, or specifically to this one, but ever since maybe a week or 2 ago I can’t say “Hey google, turn on the air conditioner”. She complains this mode is not supported, where it used to work fine.

So now i have to say “hey google, set the air conditioner to cool” or “hey google, set the air conditioner to off” which doesn’t feel like natural language.

Anyone experience this too?

Actually I resolved my issue by syncing my devices with google home. To do this say “hey google sync my devices”. The on/off commands now started working as was the case before.

There must have been something changed with the climate platform for google assistant in one of the recent HA releases

Is anyone using the SmartIR component with a window AC that has a “dumb” remote - the remote I have only allows me to turn the temperature up/down, the fan speed up/down, change the mode, etc. and sends a unique code for each command.

I am not sure what you mean, my remote for my brand new reverse cycle A/C does that as well

Hi everyone,

I have created a json file to be able to control my A/C unit via an IR blaster that is controlled (MQTT) by tasmota using the IRHVAC command. I’ve done this by embedding the (escaped) json message inside the smartir json file. I want to share this, in case it could be useful for other people since I’ve tried to get this working for days now, but I am not sure if it fits? because I am not sending the IR code, but a json string like

"{\"Vendor\":\"Gree\", \"Power\":1, \"Mode\":\"Cool\", \"FanSpeed\":\"2\", \"Temp\":20}"

for example. So could anyone that’s involved in development maybe tell me if it is okay to add this? Because I am unsure if it fits the project but if the dev(s) give me the OK I will put in a pull request. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi @Vassilis I have finally (after moving house) gotten around to getting this set up using the devices codes you kindly provided however the component isnt turning my amp on, so I can’t test (to my knowledge) any other aspects. There is no error in the log, just nothing happens when I press the power button in the HA GUI. Any ideas of what to look for?

My old INI file

The json that you gave me

smart_ir.yaml (package)

smartir:

switch:
  - platform: broadlink
    host: 192.168.0.71
    mac: '34:ea:34:b2:fa:43'

media_player:
  - platform: smartir
    name: Onkyo Amp
    unique_id: onkyo_amp
    device_code: 7010
    controller_send_service: switch.broadlink_send_packet_192_168_0_71
    power_sensor: binary_sensor.onyko_amp_power

EDIT: I turned the amp on with the normal remote and this media player then displays the other options such as volume control and input select, however none of the controls seem to be sending a signal via IR

1 Like

Haven’t used this component for a while… But when I say “Turn on Living Room AC” google assistant thinks its done it but i get the following log error

2019-04-21 11:17:09 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Future exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py”, line 57, in run
result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
File “/usr/src/app/homeassistant/components/homekit/type_thermostats.py”, line 250, in update_state
if isinstance(target_temp, float) and current_temp > target_temp:
TypeError: ‘>’ not supported between instances of ‘NoneType’ and ‘float’

Component is defined as

climate:
    name: Living Room AC
    device_code: 1280
    controller_send_service: switch.broadlink_send_packet_IP_ADDRESS

Downloaded the latest codes from smartir and restarted… still same error.

Do you have a temp sensor defined? It looks like you dont have one or the sensor is in the wrong type.

What should it be? I have a few thermostats defined but I don’t see any relation between them and AC in my config

climate:
  - platform: generic_thermostat
    name: Living Room
    heater: switch.living_room
    target_sensor: sensor.temperature_158d0001fa985e

Add

temperature_sensor:

With your temperature sensor.

Sorry don’t understand what you mean. I don’t really have a temperature sensor as such. This is a Broadcom IR which simply switches on and off the AC. Could you paste the code block what you are suggesting?

Is it

climate:
    temperature_sensor:

I suspect you need a temperature sensor, hence the error about type None. Just use the same one as the other thermostat you’ve got.

climate:
    temperature_sensor: sensor.temperature_158d0001fa985e

Thanks @callifo

This has removed the error… But google thinks its turning on/off the AC but still not working… Must be something else now.

@brent0np When I go to create the config for SmartIR, it seems like I have to set up for each combination - e.g. Fan Speed High, Temperature 75. My remote doesn’t work that way, it’s simply turn the temperature up or down one degree at a time. Does that make sense?

Hello,

I have updated the component but now I’m getting this error:

ROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.config] Invalid config for [climate.smartir]: required key not provided @ data[‘controller_data’]. Got None.

Can someone help me?

1 Like

do you have the data controller set as per config

climate:
    name: Office AC
    unique_id: office_ac
    device_code: 1000
    controller_data: 192.168.10.10
    temperature_sensor: sensor.temperature
    humidity_sensor: sensor.humidity
    power_sensor: binary_sensor.ac_power
1 Like

I have the same issue, I was prompted to update the component so I did and after a restart and upgrade to 0.92 I get the same error.

You need to change the config to include controller_data

climate:
    name: Office AC
    unique_id: office_ac
    device_code: 1000
    controller_data: 192.168.10.10
    temperature_sensor: sensor.temperature
    humidity_sensor: sensor.humidity
    power_sensor: binary_sensor.ac_power
1 Like

Thanks, that was it.