SMB / SAMBA share inaccessible

Hi guys,

Possibly related to the upgrade to 0.53.1 but I can’t be 100% sure. A hass.io soft restart via the web interface often fails for me, so I have to unplug the power cable; I came back from 5 days away from home and had to do this, then upgraded, and then the samba share was no longer accessible. That being said, it could also be related to a Windows 10 update.

I can see hassio in ‘Network’ on Windows 10, but I just get the error:

[Window Title]
Network Error
[Main Instruction]
Windows cannot access \\HASSIO
[Content]
Check the spelling of the name. Otherwise, there might be a problem with your network. To try to identify and resolve network problems, click Diagnose.
[V] See details  [Diagnose] [Cancel]
[Expanded Information]
Error code: 0x80070035
The network path was not found.

If I try and do a ‘net use’ from the command line, I get “You can’t access this shared folder because your organization’s security policies block unauthenticated guest access. These policies help protect your PC from unsafe or malicious devices on the network.”.

I don’t have any username and password set in the SAMBA config, but I don’t recall setting one before. If I try and specify one, the log file errors like so:
check_ntlm_password: Authentication for user [APerson] -> [APerson] FAILED with error NT_STATUS_NO_SUCH_USER

Any ideas?

Thanks!

When restarting hassio from the ui be sure to use the option in the hassio menu, not the config page option

1 Like

I’ve upgraded to 0.54 but the problem persists. I cannot access the share.

How can I help troubleshoot this? What log file should I be looking at, and where would it be located? Via the web front end, at /dev-info there’s no reference to anything SMB related.

The config is:

{
  "workgroup": "WORKGROUP",
  "name": "hassio",
  "guest": true,
  "map": {
"config": true,
"addons": true,
"ssl": false,
"share": true,
"backup": true
  },
  "username": "root",
  "password": "removed",
  "interface": "eth0"
}

I’ve tried with and without a username/password, and it is running via eth, not wifi.

Thank you.

The summary appears to be: Windows 10 is blocking access to the share when a username/password isn’t configured on Hass.io but when a username and password is, Hass.io will error saying that the username doesn’t exist. So then, how do we create accounts under Hass.io to support authentication to the SMB server component? Using root doesn’t appear to work.

Hi, I just updated my machine today to Win10 Fall Creators Update and can no longer access the SAMBA from my hassio 0.54 install. Previous Win10 versions may be using SMBv1. This is now removed from Fall Creators Update.
I am still troubleshooting and it was appearing that my default [Windows Credentials] username were being passed to PI instead of prompting for credentials. I’m still troubleshooting, but this may be a path to look down: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4034314/smbv1-is-not-installed-windows-10-and-windows-server-version-1709

~Bryan

Hi randomusername,

I got the exact same problem not able to connect to the HASSIO-pc through the network environment on Windows 10. Did you find a solution for the connection problem or username/password problem???

I realy hope you did. It already cost me a lot of hours figuring out what to do. Hope to hear from you.

Thanks a lot.

Greetingz Arpi

Hi @randomusername,
I got the exact same problem not able to connect to the HASSIO-pc through the network environment on Windows 10. Did you find a solution for the connection problem or username/password problem???

I realy hope you did. It already cost me a lot of hours figuring out what to do. Hope to hear from you.

Thanks a lot.
Greetingz Arpi

Please see: Samba addon fails on fresh install - run PowerShell as an Administrator. Fix is not good in terms of security but it’s the only way I could get it to work.

I’m having the same problems (unable to access shares) but from my Mac. My problems started when I implemented duckdns and let’s encrypt. Can’t SSH either, so I seem to be locked out of any config changes now. On the plus side I can access my HA via the Internet, but really need this fixed or I’m going to have to start over. :persevere:

It could correlate with an update to Hass.io as well, but I don’t think that’s it, as I was making config changes up until duckdns…

I don’t have an id/password for access. I use an encryption key and guest access.

Thanks @randomusername for you answer. I think i’m gonna work arround samba until this problem is fixed.

I have the same problem tried but nothing woked

Well It seems I have the same problem when trying to reach my Hassio on a Windows machine using Samba. Searched on the web and came across a lot of possible sollutions like enabeling and disabling Samba via regestry etc. but nothing seemed to work for me.

At least, the root of Hassio was unreachable. It turned out that when I made an network share directly to a sub directory, it worked.
It’s however not ideal, but it’s something at least.

So I made 2 network shares of the Hassio directories I use the most in “my computer” and directed them to “\local-IP\backup” & “\local\config”.

I’m not good at explaining a lot (I tend to lack the patience for it), but here’s what I did. I hope it helps you.

I tried to connect via file explorer, and was denied. Windows prompt gave no explanation, although there was a code (0x80070035). A quick Google search led my to this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG3iND6Ts6k

I followed the instructions, but still nothing worked. I realized that the log file was showing an IPV6 denial, which is strange because we don’t have IPV6 out where I live. I went back into my network and disabled IPV6, refreshed my desktop, and voila! I was able to connect. I’m still learning my way around this world, so this may or may not be the answer you are looking for, but if it is, I’m glad.

Run through this today, I also disabled IPV6 from my network card and it solved. Not even needed to restart desktop.

I have just gone through multiple threads, and as of MAY 2021, I am able to get into the HOMEASSISTANT network folder on WIN10 (OS Build 19042.985) by doing the following:
-enabling SMB 1.0 in optional features
-using the following configuration in HA/Samba (add your computer logon data, remove the +, make sure you have the apostrophe surrounding the password field):

workgroup: WORKGROUP
username: +your Windows logon user+
password: +‘your Windows logon password’+
allow_hosts:

• ‘*’
    veto_files:
  • ._*
  • .DS_Store
  • Thumbs.db
  • icon?
  • .Trashes
    compatibility_mode: false

It seems Windows is too stupid to prompt you with a logon window, and just blindly uses your Windows username and password. I found no way to actually fix this behavior, so you just have to set Samba in HA to use the same login info. Stupid I know but whatever…

1 Like

Have you tried enabling insecure guest login in windows?

Guest access in SMB2 is disabled - Windows Server | Microsoft Docs

I was not able to do this, because (I guess?) my Windows username is my e-mail address. At least that is what the log of the samba add-on tells me and the addon does not like special characters ("@") it seems.

Nevertheless, I was able to access the samba share by connecting to a network drive. There you can pick the “log in with other credentials” or something along those lines and it prompts the login window for me again and I can connect. Only downside: it looks ugly in the explorer.

Maybe this is helping someone. Cheers.

2 Likes

Hi all,

Had this same scenario today; I wanted to add a heap of files for a new integration, and didn’t want to do it one-file-at-a-time using the HA console (on a PC running Win10 Pro). I got it working by firstly enabling the SMB/Samba client on the PC (in control panel settings), rebooting the PC and using FileExplorer to connect to my Homeassistant server.

At this point I had the non-descript error, but on a second access attempt was asked for login details. Login/password were ones I must have set up when I started using HA a year ago and added Samba - not my HA or Windows credentials. No exposing Windows credentials or enabling guest accounts, so it can be done!

Windows logon and password did the trick for me. thanks!