Smoke & CO Detectors

Thanks @Robb
I just bought one of these plus the Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5 - so adding was quite easy. I just discovered the smoke sensor does not have S2 security, can you confirm or am I doing something wrong? (I’m new to Z-Wave…)

I dont use security yet. still have to figure this one out tbh

Hi srk23 - this looks like a great solution… this may be a very basic question, but did you go directly from each of the relays on the Ei414, or some component to step-down the voltage in-between? I assume it gives out voltages greater than 3.3V?

Thanks in advance.

Direct from each relay to ground and an input pin on the ESP board.

1 Like

Hi - apologies for another question… on a steep learning curve… did you have any issues with fluctuating voltage? I’ve found that I’m not getting 0 volts on the normally open terminals, and so am getting sporadic alerts in HA. Did you use pull-up resistors or something to control this? I’m using an ESP8266 with esphome…

Interesting - I’ve never had that issue. Mine seems rock solid.

Is use

mode: INPUT_PULLUP

On the sensors but no additional resistors.

1 Like

If you have an HA interfaced alarm system with wireless , Encore makes a set of audio sensors (Firefighter series) that listen for both the smoke and CO alarms, and acts as 2 wireless sones (one for each type of alarm). I use them with my Nest protects so my Elk M1 system can know if the smoke alarms are going off and trigger a fire alarm to the alarm company.

Here is some good commentary on the device: Encore Firefighter FF345 - Smoke Detector Takeover Module for Honeywell and 2GiG Wireless Systems - Alarm Grid

Interesting… This Encore device looks just like the Ecolink ones, which also called Firefighter… Ecolink has both z-wave plus and zigbee versions.
Firefighter Z-Wave Plus Wireless Smoke/CO Audio Sensor - Ecolink (discoverecolink.com)

Question, though, Ecolink (or Encore) is US-based. So if the audio listeners would listen to the alarm… Does the alarm sound the same in US and in Europe?

Well here’s what mine sounds like…

Hi all, thanks for the info. I was also scrolling checking Smoke detector? - #14 by mwav3 where also the First Alert Zwave, using with zwavejs2mqtt was suggested.

Does anybody have experience with the Google Nest Protect V2? Some google search hits didn’t made me clear how well this is supported bij HAS?

I currently have non-smart smoke detectors, the HAGER TG501A powered with 230V and a backup battery and linked together but they are not very reliable. The same issue as @Robb they went off multiple times in multiple nights (cleaning them didn’t help).

So for me a 230V powered solution (with optional backup battery) would be preferred because the power is already available (just replacing the current Hager ones). But if there is a better option out there with accu then that’s fine.
Requirments:

• Smoke detection
  • Heat detection is preferred (probably more reliable then only smoke?)
  • Carbon Monoxide detection is not mandatory (within a few months I will no longer use natural gas and my natural gas connection will be eliminated).
  • Serine somehow (speaker with warning voice is also OK) linked
  • Integrated PI/motion detector would be nice

All advises are welcome, thanks!

Hi srk23, would you be able share some more info on how you did this (I’m very much a beginner here). I’ve got an Ei414 and an esp32 spare to try. or is it as simple as you’ve stated - wire up the Commons to ground on the esp, NO’s to other Pins on the esp and then do the esphome stuff for each pin?

Simply connect the relays directly to a GPIO pin and ground.

In ESPHome:

binary_sensor:
  - platform: gpio
    pin:
      number: GPIO23
    name: "Smoke alarm"
    device_class: smoke
    pin:
      number: GPIO21
    name: "CO alarm"
    device_class: safety
    pin:
      number: GPIO19
    device_class: problem
    name: "Fire service"
1 Like

excellent, thanks! I wired this all up tonight and it seems to be working - I’ll give it a test when the kids are at school and not asleep :rofl:

@grayfrost90, @srk23,

I don’t suppose either of you would be so kind as to sketch up the wiring schematic and post? Just so I and future readers get it right :smiley:

Thank you!

This is pretty neat. I am looking at interfacing to my Aico system and come up with an idea of using a single RBU to present status to my Texecom alarm panel (also Home Assistant):

In an ideal world I would like to bring back the status for each device. I know that when you press buttons on the Ei529RC the alarms sound in turn so there must be some kind of “intelligence” on the Ei529RC “Interconnect/Control” line. I am thinking that this might work if anybody knows what the protocol/signal is?

Bit late to the thread but in a similar position where a small extension forces a hard-wired system to be installed and want to make sure it’s something I can integrate with HA even if this is added later.

Would love a bit more of an idiots guide to this setup if possible with the Aico range. I believe I have an understanding of what’s being done but as we’re talking about fire alarms it’s not something I’d want to get wrong.

I would need an Aico EI414 RadioLINK - would anyone be able to confirm which specific sensors you’ve used with this?

I’d be looking to get an electrician to fit all this and then I could connect via an ESP8266 myself once building work completed for the HA integration via ESPHome. I’ve not used this before but think from the info above I should be good to go.

Is there a recommended ESP8266 board/supplier you use as I’ve just had a look at there seems to be many options on these.

Thanks

Did you find a suitable smoke detector eventually? I have a few that need to be replaced.

This is interesting. I followed up and read about Popps sensor, and found this bit:

It is possible to deactivate the alarm on all smoke detectors to which the alarm is sent, but not on the triggering smoke detector. To do this, you must find and eliminate the cause of the alarm.

Can you also silence alarms everywhere?

I have a kitchen with false alarms, girlfriend can’t reach the ceiling - I’d like a remote silence button :slight_smile:

Don’t use these… I’ve had them for a little over 3 years and had to replace all of them multiple times. They have an issue where they tend to go bad for no reason because of the method they use for smoke detection. And when they go bad, they false alarm.

I decided recently to replace everything with Nest Protects; couldn’t be happier.

Can recommend these!