Smoke detector?

I just bought this First Alert Zwave, using with zwavejs2mqtt

It exposes all these sensors/attributes, and works local:

Update- I don’t currently see it on Amazon, but it is available on the ring website. Since it’s zwave, it doesn’t need the ring hub and would work with a zstick running zwavejs

1 Like

That looks nice - and would get rid of the stupid Ring listening thing that never seems to work. I’m assuming no remote shutting it up if there is a false alarm? My broomstick and vaulted ceiling routine is getting old :slight_smile:

Lol. Unfortunately not, it just operates as a sensor and doesn’t have user initiated tests and silence controls.

Is this the “Z-Wave JS” Add-On what you’re referencing? And if I try and use a “Aeotec Z-Stick Gen5” that I’ve never used, will that matter?

There’s this add-on:
… and then there is also this one under the community add-on:

Between these 2, I (and I believe Tim also) would actually recommend the latter.

2 Likes

Agree, use zwavejs2mqtt- It has more features. I have the Aeotec zstick gen5 and it works well with the detector and zwavejs2mqtt

Except if you use an rpi4, there are some compatibility issues, but they can be worked around

1 Like

Oh - that is not happening - I am not an “open it up and solder something on to it” type of guy :rofl: . - Just bought the Aeotec Z-Stick 7 USB stick (ZWA010) instead and will call it a day.

I believe someone said a powered usb hub between the rpi4 and zstick gen5 would work to solve the issue as well instead of soldering, but it’s an odd problem for sure. Something about power draw specs being off.

I hear you on the vaulted ceiling thing. Some of mine are over 20 ft up… absolutely no way to reach in the event of a nuisance alarm…. (I went with the nest protects)

Hi all, thanks for the info. I was also scrolling checking Smoke & CO Detectors - #42 by nappyjim

Does anybody have experience with the Google Nest Protect V2? Some google search hits didn’t made me clear how well this is supported bij HAS?

I currently have non-smart smoke detectors, the HAGER TG501A powered with 230V and a backup battery and linked together but they are not very reliable.

So for me a 230V powered solution (with optional backup battery) would be preferred because the power is already available (just replacing the current Hager ones). But if there is a better option out there with accu then that’s fine.
Requirments:

• Smoke detection
  • Heat detection is preferred (probably more reliable then only smoke?)
  • Carbon Monoxide detection is not mandatory (within a few months I will no longer use natural gas and my natural gas connection will be eliminated).
  • Serine somehow (speaker with warning voice is also OK) linked
  • Integrated PI/motion detector would be nice

All advises are welcome, thanks!

I use Nest Protects and think they work perfectly fine using the HomeBridge/HomeKit integration

Thanks @liamstears I was already checking them but was not shure if the v2 also was supported. Which functions are exposed?

@roelos the only downside of Nest Protect is that it is communicating via the cloud, and that there is no local API. If you have the wired Nest Protect (230V), the integrated occupancy sensor will be exposed to HA as well. The only downside is that it will stay ‘triggered’ for 10 minutes after first motion, which is an API limitation.

See iMicknl/ha-nest-protect: Nest Protect integration for Home Assistant. This will allow you to integrate your smoke, heat, co and occupancy status real-time in HA. (github.com).

Hi @imick thanks! I’m think I’m going to try the wired version, I need to check first if I can use the existing wires (that should be the case). Do you know if heat detection (besides smoke detection) is also supported? Best regards and thanks.

Yes.

How did you get heat status? How are yours integrated? (I’m using homebridge)

See my post above… I shared a link two posts above your comment :-).

The problem with heat detection for home is that it is often too late. Smoke comes much sooner than the fire.

I am thinking about replacing my old Yale (433MHz) domestic smoke detectors with a set that comply with the Scottish 2022 legislation even though I’m not in Scotland. These must be interlinked but I would prefer wirelessly than wiring through my pre-technology house. Ideally I would like to monitor the alarms with HA but I do not know of a suitable product. Looking at the ‘Must Haves’ in the first post, I do not want hard wiring as it will be too difficult to install and I don’t think that the ability to override alarms from HA is something that I should be able to do as that might encourage silencing alarms when a real emergency arises.

I can do WiFi (compatible with HA) or RTL_433 and MQTT (my own broker server) configured at present but I would prefer not to have Zwave or a separate hub. Whilst I have devices using ESP8266/ESP32 with sensors linked to HA, I do not want a home build solution that probably does not comply with ‘the rules’.

I’d appreciate suggestions or recommendations that the HA community may offer. TIA

@apemberton did you come to a decision on what you want to do?
I am in a similar situation, my existing home doesn’t have hard wired smoke detectors, but it would be nice to have some interconnected smart’ish detectors that I don’t need to put a lot of effort into supporting.

I’m leaning toward WIFI based devices. Couple downsides I see with this approach is; what happens when my network/internet goes out, cloud based API’s and companies breaking any integrations I have setup.