[solved] Howto delete automations?

Hi guys

After a search, I see that it has been asked a few times but cannot find a way to delete automations?
I have deleted all the automations from the automations.yaml file but they still appear in the GUI.
How can I delete them before recreating them again?

Thanks in advance
Nick

2 Likes

Go into developer-tools/states click on the “circled i” on the left of the automation you want to delete. There will be an option to delete in the dialog box that is brought up.

7 Likes

Hi micque!
That easy… I thought there was something wrong since removing them from the YAML file did not delete them.

THANKS A MILLION!
Nick

1 Like

I got a remark that seems to be a better way to achieve this:

To delete them completely, go to UI/Developer Tools and find the automation you want to delete under ‘Current entities’.
From there, select the circled i and in the new window at the bottom select ‘REMOVE ENTITY’.

This doesn’t work for me. The Delete is grayed out and is inactive.

2 Likes

What if you disable it first?

Go to settings - automation. Click on the pencil symbol (edit automation) In the automation edit - upper right corner of the 3 dots and select remove automation.

21 Likes

Configuration - Automations - Pencil Icon on far right side of the automation you want to delete - 3 Dots top right corner - Delete Automation.

10 Likes

Don’t see this ‘pencil’ icon. Can’t work out how to delete automation

First select one, and go to edit mode.
Then hit the three dots :wink:

OK, by ‘select’ you mean ‘edit’ the entry, and yes I see delete now.

Taa.

I am in the same situation. If I click on the line I get:

When I open the 3-dot-box to the right I get the “This entity (‘automation.panel_store_bad_turn_off’) does not have a unique ID, therefore its settings cannot be managed from the UI.” under ‘settings’. (The other 3 tabs look normal)

When i select the entity on “settings->devices & service → entities” the square box is grayed and indicated as not-editable in the status column.

I haven’t found the automation in automations.yaml. Have performed 2 restarts since it all began

https://community.home-assistant.io/search?q=only%20automations%20in%20automations.yaml%20are%20editable

Thanks, but imho most of the cases in your list did not match well.

I continued to google and somebody wrote something about cached data. Even I already had restarted HA two times - what apparently made it happen in the end was restarting the front end: closing the browser and restarting it and opening HA: the orphan was gone.

Good that you got it solved!

Looking back while remembering the process rather well…

What happened was that I was in the process of combining two automations into one. So I opened one of them, copied (or even cut) the yaml-code to the clipboard and then - while still inside the editor - deleted the automation I just edited. Then I closed the editor.

For me it does not look good deleting an automation while editing it.

May be the delete-function should not be available inside the editor window.