SOLVED Schlage Deadbolt Z-Wave Connect Added to HA

I do use rechargeable. That’s a good question I should monitor that.

Did you make any tweaks to your Z-Wave settings for pinging? To reduce battery drain.

I’ve had my deadbolts for a year on the same NiMH batteries (I think about 2400 mAH LSD’s). I finally got around to installing HA and connecting it up. Does anyone know how we can get a low-battery indicator? It wasn’t one of the sensors I saw show up. Thanks!

Create a sensor like so (change names as neeeded)

door_lock_batteries_back_door:
        friendly_name: Back Door Lock Battery Level
        value_template: "{% if states.zwave.lock_back_door_deadbolt %}
            {{ states.zwave.lock_back_door_deadbolt.attributes.battery_level }}
          {% else %}
            unknown
          {% endif %}"
        unit_of_measurement: '%'
        icon_template: >-
          {% set battery_level = states('sensor.door_lock_batteries_back_door')|int('unknown') %}
          {% set battery_round = (battery_level|int / 10)|int * 10 %}
          {% if battery_level == 'unknown' %}
            mdi:battery-unknown
          {% else %}
            {% if battery_round >= 100 %}
              mdi:battery
            {% elif battery_round > 0 %}
              mdi:battery-{{ battery_round }}
            {% else %}
              mdi:battery-alert
            {% endif %}
          {% endif %}
1 Like

Does your lock slide into the door freely? If not, that could use up some batteries.

Thanks so much! I really appreciate it. It worked almost as is. I just had to add this before:

- platform: template
  sensors:
    door_lock_batteries_back_door:

I am struggling here. For long, long time, my locks were working just fine, until I moved to version 0.77.2. Then my locks stopped working.
How it used to work: I added the Network Key in the file options.xml, located in the configuration directory for the z-wave [:/srv/homeassistant/lib/python3.6/site-packages/python_openzwave/ozw_config], then you added the node secure, proceed with the manual instructions for your lock and with some luck your lock showed up in home assistant. If everything went fine then you should be able to lock or unlock from home assistant without any additional code.
In your post you are talking about adding the Network Key in the configuration file and then providing an user code to lock, unlock… Is that the new way to do it? Or the way I described is still the way to go?

IMHO, adding the network key to the Zwave configuration is the way to go because it is more portable (moves with your config and no searching in some file somewhere). To re-add your lock, you of course have to exclude the lock, do a factory resetexclude it and add it securely to OpenZwave. While adding, you should tail the OZW_Log.txt file to see the activity to have a level of comfort about what is happening. It sometimes takes a full 2 to 4 minutes for the lock to “settle” depending on the activity on your Zwave network and how close it is to the hub. You will have to add all of your users back, after that.

If you have a Schlage lock, IMO it does not have good user code add/remove support in HA, and I don’t know if it is a limitation of the lock or HA, but it doesn’t work well for managing users. You are better off using the lock keypad instructions to add/remove users at the keypad.

1 Like

Does HA have any support at all for add/remove user codes for this lock? When I look at the zwave panel, it just get random characters in the user codes.

you have to use hex/ascii, If I remeber correctllt, it would be something like this

Code you want: 2468
what you’d put in the zwave control panel
\x32\x34\x36\x38

then click set usercode. if you’re entering it correctly, it will show 2468 in the ASCII section

I

yeah I mostly get \x00 and \x02 which aren’t alphabetic characters.

Once you set the code, it gets replaced with what seems to be random characters, I assume that’s to keep the code hidden. But it does set it. So if you put in something like

\x32\x34\x36\x38

It will set the code appriopiately, you just wont be able to come back later and view the code

1 Like

I cannot get this set from a user code perspective it works for you?

What kind of lock are you using?

I have 4 digit codes for my schlage and this works 100% of the time. Here is a screen shot of what it should look like if you enter it correctly. Then just click set usercode

2018-11-04

So the set user code works, but the get user code doesnt?

I’ve never tried to “get user codes”. I only see an option for set and delete.

I would expect you would not want to be able to “pull” usercodes from the lock for security reasons, right? If you dont know what the code in a slot is, you’d want to change it or delete it. At least that seems to make sense to me.

I’ve always just used the lock.set_usercode service, rather than the Z-Wave control panel:

2018-11-05_23-43-55

What I’ve noticed is that the lock will always return asterisk characters for the code in any given slot after you’ve set it. So you need to write it down somewhere else…

1 Like

Has anyone run into the problem of the Add Node Secure pairing “working” by showing up on the home screen and on the configuration panel, but I actually got a red X on the Schlage Connect?

I followed these directions and responses are not engaging the locking mechanism

What does your OZW_Log.txt say about the network key? Should be in the first 3-5 lines of the log.

I fixed it! I’m still learning and forgot to put the network key in the options.xml file.

THIS!! I too have been trying to get the lock paired in secure mode. I had the network key set in my configuration.yaml, brought the HA and stick within 6’ of the lock, set to pair, and still no luck. Checked my OZW.log and sure enough I was still not in secure network mode. Checked my options.xml file and find that the network key line is excluded out. I enabled it, set the same key in that file, reboot the HASS Pi and paired instantly, (even with the Pi and zwave stick back in its original location 20+ feet away)!!

Wish I saw this post 3 days ago, ha!

1 Like