Sorting out ideas

Hello to this HA community,

I am new to HA and I see that HA has a great potential, so I want to learn how to use it in my projects.

But I have some doubts about how to install HA.

Mainly, the systems I integrate have KNX, so I want to install KNX integration, but to configure integration, as I see, you must have the add-ons File Manager and to install add-ons, I must have a Supervised version and to have a supervised version on my Raspberry PI 4, I must install Debian 12 and I can only have on my Raspberry PI, HA Supervised, ie, I can not have another docker with for example grafana or node red, and that has me a little confused.

The doubts that I have are:

To install the Add-ons, is it necessary to have Supervised?

I see that the add-ons are great and I would like to use them, but it strikes me that they can not be used without Supervised, why?

My other question is: if I install on my Raspberry PI, Debian and HA Supervised, why can’t I install other dockers, what’s the problem?

Thank you all for your help

Hi :wave:!

Yes, and more preferably HA OS. Supervised is some kind of in-between solution imho - I’d not recommend it.

Because Addons are essentially Docker containers. So HA needs full control over that environment → Supervisor.

Not really. You can just edit the configuration.yaml file you mounted in the Container installation from the host (or by SSH, or whatever you prefer).

See https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/configuration/

If you use Home Assistant Container, you can find configuration.yaml in the config folder that you mounted in your container.

1 Like

Ok, so, for Raspberry PI installation, it offers me:

• Home Assistant Operating system
  • Home Assistant Container
  • Home Assistant Core

If I install the first option, will I be able to use add-ons without having supervisor?

And if I install the first option, can I use the same Raspberry to install other things like MQTT or NODE REd?

Ok, you are right, I am looking at a list of the dockers and now I get a new one which is: homeassistant/aarch64-addon-configurator:5.6.0

Yes, I have read that I can do it with the configuration.yaml , but it was to have a separate file for knx and thus have everything more organized.

Why if I install other dockers, HA gives me a warning and won’t let me install the add-ons?

Thank you very much for your time.

No. Addons always need a Supervisor. And HA OS ships with a Supervisor.

You can install Docker containers next to HA on a Container installation. But you’d have to do the configuration yourself. There are topics found here covering the most common containers.

You can install both as Addons.

You can mount as many files as you like in a Container installation. I don’t see where this would not work.

This was already answered. HA Supervisor needs full control over the Container environment.

Incredible, I had not seen that in the add-ons was node red and grafana.

I have installed them and grafa installs fine, but node-red does not start, but that is another matter.

farmio, I thank you very much for your time and your explanations, you have clarified my doubts.

To have the add-ons I will leave on my raspberry PI, debian 12, since it is the only one that has allowed me to install Supervised and with it the addons.

Thank you very much farmio

:+1:
for a long term solution I’d still strongly recommend using Home Assistant Operating System instead.

Thank you very much, I will make a copy of the sd card image and try the HA OS.