State of zwave light bulb without power

Hi,

Im having trouble figuring out how to handle the following in the scenario:
I have a z-wave light bulb which work fine from home-assistant. The problem comes when the light is turned off by the wall switch i.e the power to the light is cut. Home-assistant still presents the light as on (last state) while it should say off. I’ve set up the light to be polled by z-wave in home-assistant. Has anyone experienced a similar scenario and solved it?

I have a similar issue with GE z-wave light switches. When manually turned off HASS still represents them as being on. I’ve tried changing polled settings and the polling frequency but with no luck. Would also be interested if anyone has been able to solve this.

You could manually put the state after automation

in this example i set the option of a input_select after a shell command

It’s not the best solution but it works …

- alias: "Active alarme quand j'arrive"
    trigger:
     - platform: state
       entity_id: device_tracker.hokagegano_r7sf
       to: 'not_home'
    action:
      - service: shell_command.alarmsemaine
      - service: input_select.select_option
        data:
          entity_id: input_select.alarmselect
          option: "semaine"

If the ZWave device has no power it can’t report itself to be off, and it is not necessarily a valid assumption by the ZWave controller that the device is off simply because it can’t contact it. The controller will try to reach it several times and eventually give up and mark it as dead - but that is still not necessarily off, just out of contact.

Regarding the GE Switches - that is a different issue - the problem there is that they cycle down over a period of 3 seconds and home assistant polls them after 2 and finds them still on - there is a thread about it here.

1 Like

Unfortunately I have made that change to the coding of the zwave.py file but still haven’t seen any change when the switch is manually turned off.

Ok, but the way i’m using the light bulb must be fairly common. Both through zwave and good old on/off power switch. Wouldn’t it be possible support it somehow, like maybe have a setting for zwave devices that if it’s set=true makes home assistant present the light as off if it’s not responding?

It’s not how its intended to work really. If you have that requirement (to automate AND use the switch manually) you should put the smarts in the switch and not the bulb. or provide an alternative way to physically toggle the switch (e.g. Hue’s dimmer controllers are a good alternative)/ I had ZWave switches but I have now moved to Hue and use the controllers. I still retain the original switches as they are a good failsafe, but I put guards on them to prevent accidental switching.

Having said that, you could always try asking for it as an enhancement.