Stopwatch Helper

This would be the opposite of the Timer helper which counts down.

The Stopwatch helper would count up.

Maybe you find this useful. It’s a sensor, not a helper, but just in case:

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/stopwatch-with-start-stop-resume-lap-and-reset/443994

Hi, Thanks for your reply. This is helpful.

I still think my request is valid tho. While I agree a stopwatch feature might not be super helpful for automations, there are community users that want to have full control of their smart home products in home assistant.

The use case for me is a wireless food thermometer. The manufacturers app it comes with provides a stop watch just to keep track of the length of cook.

I was able to implement all of the features from the manufacturers app fairly easily except for stop watch.

Being that HA already has a count down timer, I figured adding a count up stop watch would be pretty simple. Then the feature is available, whether most users use it or not.

Just a suggestion though. If I need to build my own stopwatch with a little help from my friends, so be it.

Thanks!

I wish for one too since I want to measure time between the use of a device.

I completely agree. One is needed. Want to track how long devices are on over 24 hour period (will start/stop throughout the day) - like track how long my air conditioners are on. Very important in southwest Florida. Right now I am using the current timer and it does it backwards which is silly, but at least something.

So, maybe, one timer helper which does both increment and decrement?

1 Like