Stuck in rebooting loop for Raspberry Pi 3B+HA

My Raspberry Pi 3B+ HA is stuck in reboot loop after the most recent update (2023/12). Ethernet cable connected but no show in the router configuration (meaning the network is not even loaded).

Checking this post, I confirm that my voltage is 2.5A so it should be providing sufficient power.

I was able to film the screens before it reboots. The information slightly change every time it reboots, but generally the keywords are either “out of memory”, “SQUASHSF error” or “Failed to start File System Check”.

Reboot #1, about to reboot

Sounds like faulty storage (SD card?)

Was my initial thought, before i open your Topic Pi-3B, and as you see OS-Agent +1GB , and you have how much RAM , in your Pi 3B ?

Shouldn’t be as I did nothing but updating the system. But in that case is there anything I can do to recover the files?

I honestly don’t know but I will check that. I have been running HA for more than a year and there was no issue at all.

If an update pushed you over the required memory, the easiest way to recover it is to do a fresh install of HomeAssistant (on a new SD card) then restore from the backup.

I believe Pi.3B has 1GB ram, however we don’t know what you have integrated, nor how it’s “running/recording/etc” , it does first indicated “out of memory”, and can’t read " cache " , if you also only have 32gb-sd-card … it could be “combo-failure”, but lately there has been “deployed” some “fixes” for i.e storage of back-ups, logfiles(journals) etc … but a system with i.e alot (logging) and writing to DB (recording), will eventually worn out an sd-card

I unfortunately have not downloaded the backup from the SD card to my computer yet. Can I copy directly from my SD card and where can I find it?

I tried to check the exact tutorial for doing this but got no luck yet…

So it seems to be a memory issue - I have order a new RPI4 and how I can recover from the old sd card.

You should also spend a few buck, on an SSD, you will not regret that, as it also will “speed up” your HA !

Your SD-Card you can “read” in a card-reader from a i.e PC/laptop, from there you can copy your YAML-files, and Backups, etc. ( which you can use to Restore )
Install a fresh HA, and choose Restore from Backup, or finish the installation, and copy a backup, to the backup folder, and do a manual Restore in th UI

The Pi4 needs more power than the Pi3, so you should buy a new power supply as well.

Sounds great I will try that! Thanks a lot!

I got the power with the new board rated at 3.5A and I think it is sufficient?

1 Like