Sub Zero integration with Home Assistant

Has anyone attempted or has successfully connected a Sub Zero fridge/freezer to HA?

There appears to be integration to Control4, Alexa and Google Assistant but I’m hoping for a non-cloud/local solution.

5 Likes

+1… just changed out my air filter and thought it would be nice to have this in HA.

+1, even if it couldn’t be purely locally controlled, would be nice to make sure the oven is off when we leave the house.

+1 this would be great. Looks like Control4 and Hey Google both integrate with Sub-Zero. Hoping someone can figure out how to get Home Assistant to work with it as well.

Has anyone found an integration for Sub-Zero Group appliances? We just bought a house with a Wolf Double Oven that is connected via Wi-Fi. It’d be nice to integrate some of the features with Home Assistant.

1 Like

Hi. I have a sub-zero fridge that connects to their app via wifi. There is an Alexa Skill that first requires you to install the Sub Zero/Wolf Owners App on your iPhone or Android to create an account and pair with the appliance. That gets the appliance on your wifi. Then, add the Alexa Skill (not sure if there is a corresponding one for Google Home) and use the OwnersApp logon. Then discover new devices.

Here is the skill documentation.

The skill effectively can tell me, for example, the freezer temperature.

However, even after setting up the skill and restarting HA, HA does not identify the new device. I also couldn’t find any devices in HACS.

I also tried accessing the refridgerator’s IP address via HTTP, but it apparently does not have a built-in web server.
Developers – any advice?

Anyone got HA to work with Home Assistant? I just installed a new Cove dishwasher. The Sub-Zero group app is meh, and the Alexa skill integration is terrible. I’d love to trigger actions in HA when the dishwasher has finished a cycle.

I gather it’s Control4 compliant, but have no idea how to set that up.

TIA.

Hi. I’m going to try to get working, but for some reason I can’t get my fridge to reconnect to the Wi-Fi. Their app connects by BT, but then the Wi-Fi connection fails.

1 Like

I recently reached out to Wolf/Sub-zero support to inquire about API access. They said that they have no intention of releasing an API to use for us to be able to create a component for HA, which is a bummer. Unfortunately, i tried reverse engineering their garbage android app, but it looks like they’re using cert pinning, which throws a bit of a wrench into coming up with a solution that relies on their undocumented API :frowning:

I am looking at the wifi module on subzero frige/freezer and it’s connected with a 6pin RJ11 cable. If it’s uart, we could do something similar to the Mitsubishi mini-split hvac solution. Basically throw their wifi module in the trash (or even better don’t buy it) and use an esp module to translate to mqtt to home assistant. They even make a daughter pcb for the esp that has the 3.3 reg and level shifting from 5v logic on the uart. It gets power from the mitzubishi unit, almost plug and play.

The drawer freezers on these dont close all the way sometimes. It “dings” but it’s not very loud and can’t hear it in another room. We have lost a freezer full of food 3 times in about a year.

I am not the guy to write the integration, but here is a photo.

1 Like

I would crack open the module if someone was motivated enough to follow through with software side.

My module is constantly sending out a Bluetooth signal. I’ve tried to get it to work with BTHome but of course no luck.

It would “sure be great” if we knew what that 6pin RJ11 pinout/functionality was…

I have a refrigerator and freezer, I think they are both 2019 models. The iOS app seems nearly useless, but I think it has gotten better at least about showing internal temperature, but not clear if that is current temperature or set point.

I believe I’ve read somewhat that what the appliance sends back to the cloud is encrypted MQTT – Did anyone ever try a MIT proxy? The certificates are pinned, but it would probably be worth a shot.

Failing that, the iOS app seems to get a bit of status information via bluetooth. I recall some authentication process, where you have to open the door during set up, so maybe at least door open could be reverse engineered from the bluetooth advertisements?

I have a Shelly Plus in the kitchen but so far I haven’t figured out how to do anything with that. With the shelly configured to syslog (udp log), I can see the Shelly is receiving the advertisements, because the MAC addresses match.

A 31 byte base64 encoded string appears to be in the advertisement. I don’t see any obvious ASCII in the decoded string.

The payload that is logged from the Shelly looks like a list of ?, MAC, RSSI, data, ?

{"component":"script:1", "id":1, "event":"ble.scan_result", "data":[1,"00:06:80:xx:yy:zz",-68,"AgEGEQdhqQet0RcvocRL9XP0OQriCf8QEAAGgAi1AQ==",""], "ts":1701890476.78}

I did try to MITM proxy the android app (for a reverse engineered cloud integration), but as you stated, the certs are pinned and Im a bit of a noob when it comes to that, so it was really just watching youtube and trying to hack something together… needless to say, i wasnt successful

I honestly hadn’t thought of the bluetooth route, just because I don’t really have any BT devices, maybe something to play around with a bit more.

A few years back I was able to MITM the app and was able to successfully control my subzero fridge from a python script. There was a hard-coded key in the app which I found by dumping the android APK. I haven’t run the script in a few years (I think the API has changed so it is now broken) but happy to share the code if there might be anything useful in it for anyone working on this. fridge.py · GitHub

2 Likes

@jfried - That’s a good find and Thanks for posting this. I couldn’t really tell with a quick skim of your code, what were you able to do (or look like you’d be able to accomplish) with their cloud API?

checking back in here… looks like a bit of traction and audience is here now.
I’m just starting to dabble in ESPHome for my Rheem (econet) stuff. The RJ11 port is what came to my mind too in hopes something like a M5Stack w/RS485 base might work?

Staying tuned for more…

I was able to get status information from the fridge (mostly was interested in temperature and whether the door was ajar), and was also able to change the refrigerator mode.

2 Likes

@jfried , do you have the key variables to use with the fridge.py script? Or any guidance on where to look in the APK?