Success! IKEA Trådfri bulbs paired to Hue hub without IKEA Gateway

IKEA Trådfri was actually announced on the September 26, 2016; so it’s very possible :wink:

1 Like

Ok thanks for the info!
Just surprised that Ikea still has original stock sitting on the shelf in their stores after over a year.

Hi,

Manage to connect with Hue lights a E14 one (1801). But not the E27 (1710).
Touchlink works but no pairing, super frustrating. Can it work with the old firmware ? and buying a gateaway for updating one bulb is too expensive…

Help needed

What’s IKEAS return policy… just saying :wink:

Yeah I know but it means going to the store…

I have just taken the kit with the dimmer (1715) with the touchlink (flashes) but then can not find it. I can not do anything? I bought it in the online store and to give it back to him I would have to pay the shipment (it’s not worth it)

Just found this. Thanks for all the info. With the GU10. How can you take it close the hub when the bulbs are attached to the ceiling and my hub is on the other side of the room? Any advice?

Thanks!

Buy a cheap (garden) spot lamp with a wall plug or a long network cable.

Quick question, if I set up the trådfri system (including gateway) and add an extra remote switch (the round wireless remote ones) could I use them as switches in HA? For instance I would like to use a switch to control a RF or Zwave dimmer … is this possible?

I tried to add the switch directly to HA (zha) but it shows up as a binary switch and does nothing when I press the buttons.

binary_sensor.ikea_of_sweden_tradfri_remote_control_feee403c_1 off friendly_name: IKEA of Sweden TRADFRI remote control
level: 0

FDoesn’t mention anything in the Tradfri components docs about supporting the switches, I know the hue ones can be however via a 3rd party component so maybe the same can done from the Tradfri ones.

Thanks for the input. Maybe I will return everything and convert to Hue. I get 20% off tomorrow so that might be a good deal. The hue hack looks cool :ok_hand:

I recently struggled for a couple of days to get Tradifi candelabra lights to work with a Hue bridge, so I thought I’d share what finally worked.

Equipment: Hue Bridge, 4 E12 Tadifi Candelabra bulbs (without the IKEA hub), a medium bulb (E26) to candelabra bulb (E12) adapter, Hue Essentials app for Android.

I found instructions through several other forums that led me to this solution, which worked surprisingly well given the immense struggle I had prior to this solution.

I moved a lamp that required an E26 to E12 adapter (medium socket to candelabra socket - purchased from Home Depot). I used a lamp because it was portable and I could move the bulbs near the Hue bridge which apparently is an important step.

I downloaded the Hue Essentials app for Android. I used this app because it provided an ability to add lights using TouchLink. Its not clear what this does or why it is important, but it works.

I moved the lamp to the Hue Bridge. I added my light bulb (one at a time - not sure if this is necessary, but it worked) with the medium to candelabra adapter. I placed the Hue Bridge directly above the light. I then turned off and one the light 6 times and waited for the light to flicker. This apparently resets the settings on the bulb.

I open the Hue Essentials app, chose the menu option (i.e. 3 horizontal lines in a vertical configuration). I then opened the All Lights tool and selected the add button at the bottom.

I scrolled to the bottom of the window and chose TOUCHLINK. I’m not sure what this does, but it was in the directions I found. I waited until the light dimmed and chose the SEARCH FOR LIGHTS button. At some point the brightness returned while the app said that it was still searching. I found that the light bulb was added even though the app said it was searching. I did these for each bulb separately (presumably you could do this with all bulbs at once.

While there may be efficiencies to the process it worked for me without adding the bulbs up to 15 times, which I read in other sites as a likely requirement. It worked the first time, each time.

2 Likes

I recently added some more tradfri lights to my setup.

To confirm my initial experience, you absolutely definitely must have the tradfri light within a few centimetres of the hue hub or it will most likely never work.

I even managed to add a tradfri dimmer (the one that rotates) to the hue network, then added a tradfri bulb to the hue network, and then linked that dimmer to one of the bulbs. Surprised it worked but it’s been fine the last few weeks.

1 Like

You absolutely don’t have to be close to the Hue bridge. I just moved all my bulbs (around 30) to Hue, and not a single one was physically moved. I started with the bulbs closest to the hub and moved throughout the house from there, resetting bulbs (7x off/on) and started a search in Hue & Me (Android). If a bulb initially didn’t get picked up, a couple of power cycles did the trick.

I also got mine to work with Hue bridge with no problems. But how did you get it in Homekit ??? I can only see my philips lights in home app??

Just curious. When you say ‘I added a remote the Hue network’ do you mean it showed up in the Hue app and/or HA?

I used touchlink to add the tradfri dimmer to my hue hub, but it doesn’t show up in the hue app at all. Once you’ve added the tradfri dimmer to the Hue zigbee network you can then pair the dimmer to any bulb or set of bulbs on the same hue zigbee network. If you don’t pair the dimmer to hue first, then pairing with a bulb will knock that bulb off the Hue network.

This worked great several months ago with four tradfri dimmers, but the battery died in two of them last month and they fell off the hue network. I couldn’t for the life of me join them back onto the Hue network (hue had some big updates in the meanwhile) , so it was the final shove I needed to move everything to deconz and I haven’t looked back.

For those who encounter the same thing - try to reboot the hue bridge - worked for me. e27 opal 600 (1.3.002) was blinking while lampfinder do his work but didn’t connect. After i’ve rebooted the hue bridge - it connected from the very first try.

Bought a few GU10 (LED1739R5) today which I had trouble finding in the Hue app (even when the bulbs where 2 cm from the hub). After 15 tries I found this thread and decided to try the Hue lights (Lamp finder) app. When trying the Touchlink option I managed to add all the bulbs!

1 Like