Suggestion for an ESP32 custom board project

Hello,
I would like to ask some suggestions for a project I am building.

I am designing a custom board for an automation of a garage door. The board needs to have its own program that handle the sensors and the door without the need of home assistant so ESPHome is not suitable.(I think that’s how it works, correct me if i am wrong).
The board needs to communicate with home assistant to send its state or even receive command to change its state but also it will have and an RF 433 receive to receive command from remote controller.

So, is there any libraries for communication with home assistant or any guide/documentation that can help me.
In short, how can my esp32 custom board talk with my home assistant server?

Thanks in advanced. I hope this is the right section to ask that.

What makes you say that?

Esphome supports automation on the device. See https://esphome.io/guides/automations.html

Also please read the category topics before choosing one. In no way was this a “community guide”, the description of which is:

The Community Guides section is a place to share guides/tutorials with our community. Every post/topic in this section works like a Wiki and can be edited and improved by anybody.

That’s what I thought… If i use the ESPHome should i able to have the flexibility to add custom components, interrupts etc… eg. i want to talk with a decoder like this.

I am a little confused…

Well that’s quite a bit different to handling:

But yes you could do it with a custom component in ESPHome.

I have several devices I’ve coded on microcontrollers that talk to Home Assistant. They all use MQTT to communicate with Home Assistant. There is a quite good MQTT library for esp microcontrollers. Mine don’t use ESPHome for a variety of reasons. I’m in the process of adding autodiscovery over MQTT to my esp libraries. How much experience do you have coding?

1 Like

I have experience in coding with C but i couldn’t find resources about HA… I think i am going to do it with MQTT as well and use ESP-IDF and FreeRTOS for my project… I never used MQTT library i just know the basics concepts of the protocol so it will be a good project to learn.