Support for linking iBeacons and Eddystone beacons to areas

iBeacons and Eddystone beacons are a great way to do short-range presence detection and are very easy to setup, whether you use an off-the-shelf solution or build your own with something such as ESPHome.
Due to the nature of BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy), it’s a very good solution for room-based tracking (i.e. Home Assistant’s “areas”).

I understand it’s already possible to link iBeacons to zones, but this is not much use for localised presence detection, such as room presence, and there is currently no support for Eddystone-based presence detection whatsoever, that I am aware of.
The possibility to detect when somebody is in a certain room of the home and base automations on that with no need for separate apps and convoluted configurations in Home Assistant would be hugely advantageous, and very powerful for a lot of people.

There’s already good support for iBeacon zone tracking in the iOS compansion as per the docs, so I wouldn’t imagine there to be much work needed there.
I’ve raised a separate FR to request iBeacon and Eddystone beacon support in the Android companion.

I think this feature would open up huge avenues of opportunity for many people and be really appreciated.

EDIT: Added support for Eddystone beacons to the request.

As a newcomer to Home Assistant I am very disappointed – and amazed, frankly – that there is currently little or no support for BLE-based room presence tracking. This is one of the things I expected to be able to use. I have upvoted the feature requests, but as not many people have done so I imagine it will be a while before anything happens.

So, for the meantime, could you please point me (and others) to how to achieve this using “separate apps and convoluted configurations in Home Assistant”? That would be really helpful – thanks.