Support for Z-Wave Sirens/Chimes

The Dome Siren device is in OZW already - I know because I added it myself :slight_smile:
Based on the discussion on this post I created a new feature request quite some time ago, that has more votes than this one, that is specifically about the Indicator class being added to HA. Again, I don’t think any OZW changes need to be made to do this.

2 Likes

Ahhh, good to know. I wasn’t sure if it was in OZW as it didn’t populate everything(new to Z-wave.) Does the OZW database automagically get merged into HASS?

I commented on the other post already.

Yes, HA picks up updates to the OZW project including the device database on a somewhat regular basis. It may not always have the very latest, but the Dome Siren is coming through as expected.

Good deal. So it’s just the indicator support part of it/python that needs work then. Thanks again!

Bump… Any progress on this? I was looking at the Dome or other sirens as well to add to my Home Assistant or if anyone has suggestions. I like the idea of chimes too.

Please vote on the feature request here. The latest info is that Open Z-Wave doesn’t yet support the Indicator class and until that happens there’s nothing Home Assistant devs can do.

This indicator class?

Oh, it’s referring to the python wrapper not supporting the indicator, no the openzwave library itself.

Yes, sorry, I should have been more specific. pyozw does not currently support sending the commands related to the Indicator class. The C libraries do correctly recognize support for the class and, as we can see from the header, have the methods we need for set/get.

This (z-wave indicator class) is implemented in 0.80
Check out this post I made to a similar thread & the one I linked to there:

1 Like

Is it possible to adapt this somehow to use Fibaro Siren’s chime?

If it uses the z-wave indicator class, likely yes.

Hey netopiax, did you by any chance figure out how to do the chime? The indicator sensor shows up now but i am not sure how to activate a chime.

Yes - there is a service called zwave.set_node_value you need to use. You will need the “indicator value id” for the siren’s indicator setting. Some additional instructions are in the last few posts in the other feature request thread.

Thanks netopiax, I got it working. For those of you interested here is the steps:

• go to dev-state developers tab, and find your siren indicator for me it was sensor.elexa_dome_siren_indicator (I have Elexa Dome Siren)
  • get the node_id and value_id from attributes column
  • use those parameters along with value:1 to fire off zwave.set_node_value service to get the chime

You can test it out by going to dev-service tab, selecting zwave.set_node_value and firing off this json
the value number 1-10 represents the chime that you will get
replace XX with your node_id and value_id values

{
       "node_id": XX,
       "value_id": "XXXXXXXXX",
       "value": 1
}

Hit call service and you should hear a chime
You can then use this in your automations

1 Like

I know it’s been awhile …but do you by any chance experience repeat chimes when it only suppose to sound off once?
I noticed that out of 5 notification chimes, 1 of them will just keep repeating. Not sure if the issue is with Dome Siren or zwave.

1 Like

Sorry - haven’t run into that…

I can never get this to work with the value_id in a script even when I get the correct value_id from the Zwave area (LIke this:Z-Wave Indicator class support) it always throws the error “Failed to run script… extra keys not allowed @ data[‘value_id’]”

If I remove the value_id I get no error, however it does not change to the secondary tone, it instead will play the primary tone.

The only way I am able to change to the secondary tone is in the Z-wave configuration page, manually selecting the Node Config Options.

What stupid thing am I doing here?

@morrowsend, Looks like you are calling the wrong service, you should be calling zwave.set_node_value not zwave.set_config_parameter. The “value” number coresponds to what tone to play. Make sure you get the “value_id” of the *_indicator sensor that’s created when you set your dome siren.

You also don’t need the action part in your automation, you just need to fire-off that service call and it will play the chime.

Here’s what I tried, with no luck:

I copied this value_id and pasted it into the UI:

After saving and running the script, I get the error :image