Sureflap Connect - Pet Door

Nope. I tried removing from HAC. Deleting Sureflap & sureflapbeta folders in Custom_components.
Restart HA.
Then git clone GitHub - benleb/surepetcare: dev branch of the Home Assistant surepetcare integration (this makes a surepetcare folder)
Then add

surepetcarebeta:
  username: redacted
  password: redacted
logger:
  default: info
  logs:
    surepy: debug
    custom_components.surepetcarebeta: debug
    custom_components.surepetcarebeta.binary_sensor: debug
    custom_components.surepetcarebeta.sensor: debug

Restart HA
The cat flap and cat presence entities are unknown. The logs show 2021-05-18 17:40:24 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.helpers.integration_platfo - Pastebin.com

To install the beta, DO NOT put any config into configuration.yaml. Clear that out, restart HA, then go to Integrations - Add Integration - search for sureptecarebeta. (this assumes you have already cloned the repo to your custom components, which it appears you have done)

You will be prompted for username/password (although the prompt has no descriptions).

Once that’s done your devices and entities etc will appear

1 Like

Thank you so much. All sorted now. Working like a charm.

1 Like

I’ve tried to follow this, but something still isn’t right.

1. Removed config lines for surepetcare from my configuration.yaml.
  2. Restarted HA (the old entities are still there after the restart, but are disconnected)
  3. Cloned the beta repo into my custom_components folder.
  4. Restarted HA again
  5. Tried to add the beta via the integration GUI. It’s not listed in either the “Integrations” or “HACS” lists and cant be found via search either.
  6. Stuck. #headscratching

Is the component folder called “surepetcare” ?

Nope. it’s called “surepetcarebeta”

Which is what HACS installed once I’d manually added the repository to HACS and installed it from there.

Try a manual install of the beta. Clone (or download) the repository (find benleb’s link above). It should be placed in / create a folder called surepetcare (not beta) as per my picture. I am not certain that the HACS plugin gets the latest beta.

Mine is installed via hacs and the folder is “surepetcarebeta” in custom components.

I have no idea how others are feeling about this, but this is my personal take on it.

Some how, along the way, this really nice integration has become broken.

However, instead of fixing it in the core release, there is now a dev branch. A dev branch that no-one can definitively say “how” it should be installed. Clone from Github or Install via HACS or some other means.

I appreciate that new features are great and I’m all for that. But, please, for the sake of the wider community at least fix the core version first, even if it only has basic functionality. The Dev version should NOT be the one that users need to install to have a working solution.

2p.

2 Likes

I don’t think you understand how open source free software works.
Developers spend their spare time for free working on something they are passionate about.
There are instructions that others have managed to get working so obviously they managed to fix it.
Getting things added into the main line release is challenging as it needs to be accepted by the upstream HA folks. So a separate development component is the only way to go.

1 Like

People are doing their best. Stop making them want to stop. Uncool dude.

The process is typically:
Core breaks integration.
That integration gets worked and fixed in in a dev / test branch until ready to be merged back with core
Integration is submitted to core team for review (pull request / PR)
Dev branch is merged back with core

So while it was annoying that a breaking change occurred without warning, the current situation is normal and following the ordinary life cycle of code development.

2 Likes

Just to update you - I have now got HA up and running again, and the beta version of SurePetCare is working just fine! Thank you very much for your efforts on this, it is much apreciated! :smiley: :+1:

You can install it multiple ways if you can’t figure it out without being rude to the developer and showing you have no idea how things work maybe home assistant isn’t for you.

Go buy an off the shelf option and stop moaning on here.

1 Like

Helpful comment. Really helpful. :wink:

I made my point, I dont expect everyone to agree. But there’s no need to attack me directly.

On my main page I have a few badges for who is or isn’t at home. Is it possible to get the same type of badge for the cats? At the moment I have to click on them to see if they are home or away.

Screenshot 2021-05-25 at 10.25.54

Hey!
Could you please share you code for “Outside since …” That looks awesome!

Thanks!

Thanks, and no worries, it’s just the secondary status option, with the entity name blanked using a space:

type: entities
entities:
  - entity: binary_sensor.pet_chai_latte
    secondary_info: last-changed
  - entity: sensor.chailatte_last_state
    icon: 'mdi:status'
    name: ' '
  - entity: binary_sensor.pet_lexie
    secondary_info: last-changed
  - entity: sensor.lexie_last_state
    icon: 'mdi:none'
    name: ' '
show_header_toggle: false
title: Pet Status

Thank you!
I see that i don’t have any “last_state” option from my sureflap, i only get “since” and that format displays like this; 2021-06-02T07:21:14+00:00

Will need some digging to get this working. Thank you for the reply!

Hi - I love this integration but have been having some issues with the official release in HA 2021.5.5. I upgraded recently because the integration was failing all together to initialise, after the upgrade new entities appeared my Felaqua water supply, the cat… However there are missing items according to what I’ve been reading above.

The entities I get are…

Cat_flap Utility door Battery Level
Cat_flap Utility door_connectivity
Felaqua Kitchen Battery Level
Felaqua Kitchen_connectivity
Hub Utility room
Pet Leo

But nothing for the Cat Flap itself (so can’t see its state) or any details of the Felaqua feeder, also looks like it doesn’t change the state of the Cats in and out.

I’ve tried removing the integration, the entities restart etc. But all I get back on a restart are the above entities. I’m not keen on using a beta or dev version and am running HA in a docker container.

Is there anything I can check or do to re-initialise it? It seems to be working just not picking up all the entities?

Apologies - if this is somewhere above but I couldn’t see similar symptoms anywhere.