Switch Manager - New refined switch integration to manage your switches

In light.turn_on there is a “Brightness Step” setting. This should allow you do decide from 0 to 100% how much to change the level on each step.

I’m talking about when the light is already on.
With the light on, pressing the dim up or down button the coming steps are quite jarring

Despite the name, the service works even when the light is already on.

can you confirm which setting?

when i set “brightness step” to 10% the power on button no longer functioned at all, so i had to disable that setting again which then allowed the power on button to function.

Brightness step, yes. Not sure what you mean by “the power on button” in this context?

It’s a 4 button hue remote - on, dim up, dim down, off

The one place those brightness settings exist is in the settings for the “on” button which only turns the light on

I think you need to post your configuration in YAML format so that we can take a look. This does not sound right. (You should configure the brightness steps for Up/Down, not for On/Off.)

Correct, but the dim up/down button has no config options other than the action which it increase or decrease brightness

Well, of course to use the light.turn_on service, you need to configure it to use the light.turn_on service instead of a device trigger.

That button isn’t the light on button, it’s the dim button

There is a separate button solely for turning the light on, as I said it’s a 4 button switch

1 button solely for turning the light on
1 button for dim up
1 button for dim down
1 button for turning the light off

When I press dim up or down (once the light is already on) the brightness steps are too harsh

Yes, I know what the Philips Hue Dimmer Switch looks like. And we have been telling you that you need to use light.turn_on with the brightness_step parameter adjust the brightness of your lights by, well, the given step (with a negative value for the Down button of course).

I am using the light.turn_on parameter set on the “on” button, as that’s the only button that I require to turn the light on

The dim up/down should only adjust the brightness if the light is on, thus having the light.turn_on parameter against those burns would be inappropriate, however there is no brightness step parameter to set against those buttons

Well, if you want to adjust the brightness step, you will have to use the service. If you don’t want it to operate on lights that are not currently switched on, you will have to add some conditions around the service call. Fortunately, you can easily do that.

Edit: You might even get around the conditions with some clever templating, see Add action to update light state without turning on - #12 by 123 for inspiration.

I’m not 100% convinced you’re fully understanding the use case and how the switch is configured, maybe it’s me being the idiot in explaining it

All I want is that, whilst the light is on, pressing the dim up or down button results in a less harsh brightness step. At a guess I’d say that each press results in a 20% change

Yes, I do understand. You use the light.turn_on service with the parameter brightness_step for that. If you do not want that call to turn on lights that currently off, you have to filter light group in the entity template (or add some more elaborate conditions around the service call). There is no magic “change all brightness steps” setting to make that work with device triggers.

where do i find the yaml file to post?
i’ve had a look thru various yaml files and can’t see anything that has the switch config in it.

You can change the view to YAML while editing the switch. But it does not matter anymore, what we needed to know was visible on your previous screenshot. You just don’t like the answer.

I just tryed to add a blueprint for the eglo 99099 remote, but for some reason it does not show up in switch manager

Anyone able to help out here?

I have an issue which I can’t figure out. I use a HUE Dimmer V2 via Z2M.
On the press event I have this yaml code configured. But somehow the input select triggers two next’s. In the logbook most of the time there are two entries see below

Logbook

Woonkamer Scenes  changed to Woonkamer Romantisch triggered by service Input Select: Next
20:25:11 - 29 minutes ago

Woonkamer Scenes  changed to Woonkamer Overdag triggered by service Input Select: Next
20:25:11 - 29 minutes ago

YAML

- service: input_select.select_next
  data:
    cycle: true
  target:
    entity_id: input_select.woonkamer_scenes
- service: scene.turn_on
  target:
    entity_id: >-
      {{'scene.' + states('input_select.woonkamer_scenes').replace("
      ","_").lower()}}