Switching from OpenZwave (Beta) to Zwave JS

OK, thanks. I will try. Hopefully, devices remains untouched.

If you renamed things, that will be lost and you’ll have to rename again. Otherwise the devices themselves should be the same.

1 Like

Hi Petro,

Nice tutor! Can you tell me how to do follow and will there be a improvement to do:

1. Im using Zwave2MQTT, fast, stable, when HA restart Zwave is still running
  2. There is now ZwaveJS2MQTT, is this better, faster, any other things to do a migration?
  3. If its better to migrate how to do this:
  • a) Install Zwave2JSMQTT Add-on.
  • b) Write down all settings inside the WebGUI, or export settings?
  • c) Stop Zwave2MQTT, disbals auto start, disable watchdog
  • d) Start ZwaveJS2MQTT, import settings or fill in all settings I write down?
  • e) Will I get the whole network back as it is? Will all entities be replaced by new entities?

Maybe you can help me out with this?

Sorry, I’ve never used Zwave2MQTT so I’m not sure what settings it has.

If you’re not running hass.io and don’t have the community add ons, how do you run this? I don’t see a docker container listed here and don’t see it in HACS.

You need to run the zwavejs2mqtt docker container.

And it’s no longer hassio - it’s now HassOS.

Just wanted to say I followed this and it went smoothly (mostly).

It found all my nodes and brought them in, even a couple battery ones I had to mess with to get them to wake up. However, I do have a lingering couple of problems.

1 - I have a garage door tilt sensor that it talks to, but doesn’t identify the model or the manufacturer (Ecolink TILT-ZWAVE2.5-ECO in this case). It gets all the entities from the sensor, but has the main one wrong (as it, it thinks it being open is a checkmark and being closed is an empty circle)

2 - I have Zooz switches all over the house. It identifies most of them, but some it doesn’t want to show the vendor/model. It does have all the Z-Wave config values though.

So I guess my question is how to get JS Z-Wave to properly find the make/model of these devices that are in its database. Re-interview doesn’t do it (so far)

Hi, probably easy to find if you know where to look. If I move over to zwavjs and I currently use for some devices the “ozw.scene_activated” to catch certain button presses in node-red… will that be a lot to change? And how?

customize it if the binary_sensor device class is not to your liking.

You’d have to reinterview it, if you’re using ZwaveJS2MQTT you can do this easily. Last I checked, this does not exist for the official ZwaveJS addon. If the device contains all the information, the juice isn’t worth the squeeze. Just keep it as is because all you gain is a new unqiue_id and a manufacturer.

It’s covered in the docs… you should know this by now :wink:

No because I do not have zwavejs yet :slight_smile:

So I need to rebuild also my nodered logic to catch the right numbers there? Derived from zwave_js_value_notification? In “what” is this sent?

(Trying to eliminate all kinds of issues to face after migrate)

The comment was about checking the docs, not about knowing the information.

I have no idea how your node red logic is set up. Assuming it’s set up based on the ozw scene activated event, then you’ll switch the event and event data over to zwave_js_value_notification event and it’s accompanied data.

1 Like

Petro, 1 more question, just to be sure…

When I do the switch (it’s a pretty big change). And I want to “double rename”, thus the new JS entities to the old but then do the correct naming after.

I want to change the entire device name, like this:

Then “all” entities automatically follow that naming convention. Is there any “zwave” risk in doing so?

You have little faith. All that does is rename your devices. It’s the same for every integration.

Faith comes after experience…

Yes, but that’s not all, I have used it on a test homeassistant instance… and if I do that all entities do follow that name (I like that)…

@petro did you even get the Eco Link tilt sensor to working. Mine device should one Binary Sensor but it does not get shared to Home Assistant so its unusable.

I have two of these and I can’t get them recognized by zwavejs2mqtt. Any ideas?

I have 2, they both just worked after pairing out of the box

so your suggested would be to take remove the two nodes (tilt sensors) , move over to ZWaveJS and then add them back.

I have them working with zwavejs2mqtt. If that’s what you’re using, then you should be able to make it work. I would wager that you’re somehow screwing up the pairing process and you aren’t keeping the device alive long enough.

I’ve had them working on all zwave integrations in HA btw