Switching from OpenZwave (Beta) to Zwave JS

I am moving from zwave2mqtt to zwavejs2mqtt. The trick was to unpair them and pair them back to zwavejs. Now they are working fine.

For some reason they were never recognized at all.

Battery devices require you to wake them back up when switching

Thanks for the guide @petro! One suggestion: under step 9, you have some options steps labeled 7.1-7.4. I did not need to delete, and readd the integration. I simply looked at the devices added, saw the ones that were not named, then individually woke those devices and watched logs to make sure they completed pairing. When they did, the integration automatically renamed them and added the proper entities.

Thanks @petro for this guide, worked flawlessly for my setup !

1 Like

I made the leap this weekend and moved from OpenZWave (Beta) to ZWavejs2Mqtt. It went reasonably well.

I have a hybrid of DIY automation (custom code) and Home Assistant environment, and prefer most things use MQTT, especially sensors (e.g. DIY XBee sensors). I have HA’s MQTT integration.

I only have 20 Z-Wave nodes. I wrote a simple Python script that dumps all Z-Wave entities from HA via the HTTP API. This gives me all node ids, friendly names (I often rename energy meters, etc.), as well as entity_id (ref’d in custom code and HA scenes).

Steps I took:

1. Backup Home Assistant.
  2. Disable openzwave/ozwdaemon container.
  3. Add modified zwavejs2mqtt docker-compose service section to my own docker-compose.yaml.
  4. Start zwavejs/zwavejs2mqtt container.
  5. Connect to ZWave To MQTT Control Panel via [my server]:8091.
  6. Verify all nodes are present and have correct config (took a few minutes); rename nodes manually in Control Panel.
  7. Enable MQTT and HA WS in Control Panel.
  8. Delete OpenZWave (Beta) OZW integration (pausing at the delete confirmation prompt :slight_smile: )
  9. Enable ZWave JS integration.
  10. Reorganize a few entity Areas and verify Scenes and Automations.
  11. Change custom MQTT client to subscribe to zwave/# topics; remove custom MQTT client code to fix issues with Yale YRL256 lock.
  12. Enjoy the extra functionality!

Remaining issues:

1. Honeywell T6 Thermostat shows Celsius instead of Fahrenheit (I’m in the US). Interestingly Thermostat: Air temperature entity shows F correctly. Screenshots:
    wrong_climate_f

correct_climate_f
EDIT: Fixed itself over night. Why??
2. Some of my binary_sensors only notify when triggered (i.e. door opens), and remain in a state of “On”. It’s missing the “Off” trigger. These are AEON Labs DSB29 Gen2 Door Sensors.
EDIT: Fixed by enabling “On Trigger: Send Binary Sensor Report” configuration.

Environment:
Debian amd64 running on i3 cpu.
AEON Labs Z-Stick Gen5
docker.io + docker-compose
docker images:

• homeassistant/home-assistant:2021.10 docker image (2021.10.2 currently)
  • openzwave/ozwdaemon:latest docker image (now removed)
  • eclipse-mosquitto:latest docker image
  • zwavejs/zwavejs2mqtt:latest docker image (added)

Thanks for all the tips in this great community!

Hi all, today suddenly 1 device stopped working in my still active openzwave (beta) and nowadays mentioned deprecated setup.

I have to bite the bullet in the very near future due to troubleshooting on this “old” setup is useless.

I wanted to ask for the latest experiences/tips/tricks… Is the manual still up-to-date?

Looks like the ZWave JS Add-On has some new options. How would the network key from OpenZwave map to these new options:

95% sure it’s the s0_legacy_key