Switching from Zwave 1.4 (Deprecated) to ZWave JS UI (formerly ZwaveJS2MQTT)

So following this guide, I kinda stumbled on the device name setting. I used to have /dev/serial/by-id/usb-1a86_USB2.0-Serial-if00-port0 in my zwave yaml, for my Nortek husbzb1 stick. I did that instead of say, /dev/ttyUSB1, which could stop working after a reboot. Is there a way I can still use my by-id name? I tried several permutations, but gave up after a while.

Iā€™m noticing that my motion sensor badges intermittently show a circle when thereā€™s no motion (see the badge on the right) and intermittently show the stationary man (badge on the left). The same badge can show both behaviors, so I donā€™t think that this reflects a configuration problem. When it displays a circle, the history says the sensor was ā€œTurned onā€ or ā€œTurned offā€; when it displays a stationary man, the history says the sensory was ā€œClearedā€ or ā€œDetected motion.ā€ The latter behavior is preferable, and I canā€™t figure out why this happens.

For everyone who followed this guide - what version is your zwavejs2mqtt? Mine was on 0.4.0 and zwave core devs are telling me it should be on a more recent versionā€¦ but the add-on isnā€™t telling me thereā€™s any updates available, so I donā€™t know how to update it. I thought Iā€™d just uninstall and re-install but now I canā€™t find any add-ons other than the official add-ons in the Add-On Store. :grimacing:

The latest version of the Z-Wave JS to MQTT Add-on is v0.6.0. In order to see it in the Add-on Store, you need to have the Home Assistant Community Add-ons repository added. Click the 3-dot menu button at the top-right of the Add-on Store, click Repositories, then add the url:

https://github.com/hassio-addons/repository

After that, you should then be able to find the add-on.

1 Like

Thank you. I wonder why it was removed as part of the updates? What a pain.

I migrated from OZW to ZwaveJSMQTT (running as a docker on a different machine on my network) and have seen a big improvement in response time. Thank you devs for the awesome work and you, Petro, for this excellent guide!

One issue I have run into, however, is that my light entities seem to have lost all of their attributes except for friendly_name and supported_features. My NodeRed flows that were using the node_id attribute are now broken. Anyone else have this happen? I searched here and in GitHub but didnā€™t see any mentions of this, so Iā€™m wondering if I did something wrongā€¦

1 Like

I would like to try this out. i.e. switch from Zwave 1.4 to ZwaveJS2MQTT. I just wonder if all my devices will be supported. Especially my Qubino Mini Dimmers! Not sure if we need to wait for this to be completed first to ensure all devices are supported?

Sometimes with these type of devices you need to wake them up manually (usually there is a button the device you need to press) then do a re-interview/refresh, finally you may need to reload the zwavejs integration.

Nodeid is an attribute of the past. What was the use case for the node id?

If youā€™re device has normal command classes, it should just work. Having the config file will just allow you to set abnormal parameters on the device. You can still set them, you just need to know more information about them if the machine file doesnā€™t exist.

1 Like

Hey guys, I had been running just the zwavejs2mqtt add-on successfully since it became available last month or so. Since this last update in March, however, supervisor keeps automatically installing the zwavejs add-on. With both containers trying to access the controller, only one wins out. The one that loses then bugs out and spikes my CPU until I turn it off. Uninstalling the zwavejs add-on is short lived as it magically reappears in a few hours.

Any one else see this?

Something very strange is happening right now.
I have the latest version of both home assistant core and the zwavejs2mqtt add-on and all of the sudden this is what I have on the driver status:

Driver: Error Resource temporarily unavailable Cannot lock port

If I reboot it works properly for, I donā€™t know, a few hours, but after a while every control it greyed out due to the driver failure.

I have a NodeRed flow that listens for multi-taps on my Inovelli dimmers, executes actions (like turning on/off lights in multiple rooms and outside, stopping media media players, etc.) and then flashes the notification LED on the switch to green as positive confirmation that the actions finished (since some of the actions canā€™t be seen from where the switch is located).

To flash the strip, I need the entity but the event only provides the Node ID of the device in the message payload, so I was using the ā€˜Get Entitiesā€™ node to return the entity that matches the device (attributes.node_id = msg.payload.event.node_id). I looked at the complete msg object to see if there are any other attributes that I could use to retrieve the entity, but I couldnā€™t see anything that would work.

Thanks in advance for any ideas or suggestions!

The new set config service accepts entity_id, device_id, or area. You donā€™t need the node id anymore.

Thanks! Iā€™ll see if I can make that work. Really appreciate the help.

Okā€¦ I know its meā€¦ But where/how do I find ZwaveJSMQTTā€¦

Iā€™ve found z-Wave JS in the integrationsā€¦ cant find ā€œZwaveJS2MQTTā€

Is there a repository I need to addā€¦ and where is that if there is?

And just for clarityā€¦ there is a "z-Wave JS " in the Add-On Store that is NOT the one i need correct?

Iā€™m running a plain vanilla version of HAā€¦ NOT a Docker instalation
Thanksā€¦

Aaron

its in the community addons

https://addons.community/

You sir are not paid enough!

Thanks again,

-Aaron

Iā€™m seeing the sameā€¦ but it looks like the fix is just to wait it out

Missed this entirely! But Petro set me straight!
Just didnt RTFM!

EDIT:
I had an epiphany for the items not respondingā€¦ since they were asleepā€¦ I thought power cycling themā€¦ie pulling the battery might wake them upā€¦ It worked!