Switching from Zwave 1.4 (Deprecated) to Zwave JS

I had the same issue as @SmittyMD

The docker container started in the supervisor does not recognise /dev/ttyACM0 (like old wave did)

The container worked for my by using "/dev/serial/by-id/usb-*********** " replace ***** with whatever you have and give it a go

2021-04-18 19:16:31 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.components.zwave_js.config_flow] Failed to get Z-Wave JS add-on discovery info: Failed to get Z-Wave JS add-on discovery info

im still having an error where it says failed to find discovery info. did you add the integration first or the add on via the supervisor dashboard?

Thank you for this guide. It helped me move to JS successfully. I had to reinclude a few and was able to delete some dead ones via the Zwave2MQTT panel so would like an updated device list. The template doesnā€™t appear to work for JS which I suppose is no surprise. What would the template be to get a current list of devices after moving to JS?

I am trying to upgrade from a RPi 3 to a RPi 4. The RPi 3 had an Aeotec Gen 5 stick, I purchased a new gen 5 stick for the RPi 4 from Amazon (the description said it was compatible with the RPi 4). After about 8 hours of trying, I found a page on Aeotecā€™s website that said that the Gen 5 stick was not compatible with the Raspberry Pi 4. It said that I needed to use a Gen 5 plus instead. I will try to get my z-wave working again after I get the gen 5 plus in on Monday.

This may be the source of someone elseā€™s problems!
Screenshot 2021-04-24 210411

While some folks complain about the myriad of Z-Wave integration options, I think itā€™s good because you have a choice. The official method is Z-Wave JS but I also use OZW 1.4 without issues. That being said, there are some real benefits of Z-Wave JS that will never see the light of day in other implementations that I desire and thatā€™s driving me to upgrade. The speed is the one major factor, but so is being able easily change parameters on my various Z-Wave devices that Iā€™ve been unable to change since switching to HA.

Iā€™ve not had problems but I put mine on a powered USB hub since the power draw of the Gen5 can exceed what the Pi can put out and cause issues. Once I did that I had zero issues.

Hi all.

Iā€™m running a core (version 2021.4.5) installation in virtualenv and was trying to follow this guide to migrate my zwave network to Zwave JS.

When I remove the old integration and reboot, then try to add the new integration, a dialog pops up asking for an URL and is pre-populated with ws://localhost:3000 Of course I have nothing running there, so it wont connect to anything. What did I miss?

You have to run the server. If you arenā€™t running HassOS, you have to manually add the server yourself. People typically use zwavejs2mqtt. Your other option is to just run the server itself but there are typically no installation instructions for that method.

OK. I will run that in docker.
Question, since I also run a separate mqtt server for other devices, is there a way I can use the zwave2mqtt server for all those devices too or will that only work with the zwave devices?

You donā€™t need the MQTT side for the zwavejs2mqtt server. Just turn that off.

In the zwave2mqtt server settings, correct?

turn this on
under settings

Thank you!.. I have the server running and was able to add the new integrationā€¦ migration is now underway.

The zwavejs2mqtt container doesnā€™t have an MQTT broker in it.

Even if you didnā€™t disable the MQTT portion of zwavejs2mqtt you would still need to provide an external MQTT broker for it too.

1 Like

Thanks for clarifying. Got everything migrated now.

@petro Thanks for this awesome guide!
Managed to move all my z-wave integrations into Z-Wave JS
Had some issues as some battery powered devices did only show as non-named nodes - after your guide steps to uninstall Z-Wave JS add-on, re-wake and restart Z-Wave JS integration multiple times they showed up.

Only thing that puzzled me - the Z-Wave JS integration in the supervisor had 3 choices for the USB slot as preselections. none of the shown ones where my actual Z-Wave Aeotac stick.
Pre-selection availabe: /dev/ttyAMA0
real location: /dev/ttyACM1

I needed to go into yaml edit to force the right USB deviceā€¦
After switching back to UI - device field is empty - but it works

My Z-Wave devices now working where Fibaro Roller Shutters, Fibaro Motion Sensors and TKB Socket Switchesā€¦

Thanks nfh - I now also did the step - worked out quite well for me! Fibaros work like charm!

So I took your advice and ended up moving to HA OS and got Zwave JS setup and running well for the past couple weeks, the only issue is one of my devices, a ā€œShenzhen Neo Electronics Motionā€ with Firmware: 3.80 doesnā€™t show any configuration options but it is listed in the ā€œZ-Wave JS Config DBā€, any idea how I can address this?

Did you try to re-interview the device and wake it up manually ?