Switching from Zwave 1.4 (Deprecated) to Zwave JS

Yes, I tried a few times.

Hello there, you mention, on April 5, about Association groups.

That the way I had 4 Inovelli LightBulbs (LZW42) associated to a red dimmer switch (LZW31-SN) with Z-wave 1.4

Now I switched to z-wave JS, I don’t see anywhere to control those associations in z-wave js.

Also, the lights used to transition over a period of time to reach brightness, they don’t anymore. Just goes on/off.

Also If I try to control a single Lightbulb, everything is fine. But when I try to control all my 4 lightbulbs in that room, there’s such a lag. can take up to 10 seconds until all 4 lights turn on/off. I guess with association this would solve this. What you think?

One more thing, I see you mentioning also about zwavejs2mqtt. What I’m not understanding is, I have Z-wave JS addons, what will the z-wavejs2mqtt will bring more? Can I run both at the same time? What’s the purpose if you can?

Thanks in advance

It’s not in the UI for Zwave JS yet. You can access it through zwavejs2mqtt.

That depends on your hardware.

You shouldn’t have any noticeable lag in relation to your last setup. If your lights support group association, it should make it work faster. I’m not sure if you can call this yet from home assistant. I’ve been out of the zwave loop the past ~3 months.

zwavejs2mqtt is a community managed addon that is more mature than the zwavejs addon. Because of this, the UI for it is more fleshed out and contains more functionality. The underlying communication to HomeAsisstant is identical so it will behave the same way as zwavejs2mqtt. Think of it as 2 competing softwares that do the same thing, both with a separate UI.

No, one or the other.

Thanks. Now that I have Z-wave JS addons installed and all setup. What would be the steps to change it to Zwave2mqtt addon instead?
Can you give me main steps?

Thanks!

I guess I did not have a network key for my ZWave setup. How can I get one now if I want to switch to ZWave JS?

.storage $ cat /config/.storage/core.config_entries | grep network_key
"network_key": null

Just leave it blank

Thanks I will try that

Hey, did you ever try zwave-js again, or are you still on ozw1.4? I’m thinking of migrating, but after reading the above posts, not sure I want to. I have a lot of the Zooz 4-in-1 multisensors, and if they don’t work, that would break a LOT of stuff. Please let me know if you’ve had any success.

I have a Zooz 4-in-1 and it is working fine in Z-wave JS. I had to re-interview it after the transition, but its working as it should for a while

I did update and everything went smoothly. The 4 in 1 works fine.

Thanks guys. I pulled the trigger last night and they all showed up correctly after several wake-ups. Having the binary sensor is nice. I had to create my own based upon the Burglar value under OZW.

This is such an awesome guide – the time it takes to pull this together is much appreciated. I finally took the plunge to convert having had some time this weekend. I didn’t update the wiki but here are some notes:

7.2: I did NOT restart Zwave JS during this process. The only items I had problems with are battery-powered, and monitoring the logs is helpful. What seems to happen is they go back to sleep (or just have comm errors?) during the interview process. I just continually woke the devices until the interview seemed to complete.

My fire/CO detectors are notoriously finicky. For these I did the re-interview node (select the device from the ZwaveJS integration, then re-interview device from Device Info). I had to wake it up, then hit re-interview, and after a few seconds pull the battery tray and re-wake it up – multiple times for the interview to complete.

Running through all battery-powered devices as above, then deleting the integration and re-adding it was adequate. A lot of progress has been made on ZwaveJS – all my devices (29) work as expected, with an odd attribute naming change here and there.

Ended up here seeing its nagging β€œnew device ZwaveJS” after the last core update.

Is there a summary of things that are working/not on the ZwaveJS? I know I’d read a few things that sounded incomplete before?

In particular, I’m worried about these:

• Yale deadbolts - GUI to easily read which user-codes are in which slot and update; read/set options easily with drop-downs
  • Inovelli Fan+Light dimmers, including LED bars, read/set options easily with drop-downs, as well as set LED blink patterns/colors from automatons

fan/light/dimmers are fine. LED bars are a pain in all softwares that exist due to the method that innoveli used to implement them. Fortunately, there’s many people here and on the innoveli forums that have solutions. Just search for them.

If you use node red, this palette works great to set the LED patterns and colors, with zwavejs

More info on this thread

I’ve got them working great in the old ZWave but recall reading that something was β€œin progress” for the notification LEDs to work in the new ZWave JS. Didn’t seem particularly hard but want to make sure I don’t lose functionality.

Similarly I thought I’d seen people say the only way to manage locks and such would be a dashboard with X users vs the easy to use GUI in the ZWave Configuration going forward…that’s also something I’d prefer to not lose

I’m already on zwave JS, but now I want to repair everything to use the S2 security. Is there a template for zwave JS to make an export of al nodes and entities? The template for the β€œold” zwave does not work.

Hello, I am new to HASS and bought NORTEK stick. Having issues with setting up Z-Wave. In the Add-On Z-Wave logs I get this:

[00:38:12] INFO: Successfully send discovery information to Home Assistant.
2021-10-11T04:38:14.716Z DRIVER   β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•— β–ˆβ–ˆβ•—    β–ˆβ–ˆβ•—  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—  β–ˆβ–ˆβ•—   β–ˆβ–ˆβ•— β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—             β–ˆβ–ˆβ•— β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—
                                  β•šβ•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β• β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘    β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘ β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•— β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘   β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘ β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β•β•β•             β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘ β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β•β•β•
                                    β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•  β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘ β–ˆβ•— β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘ β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘   β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—   β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—      β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘ β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—
                                   β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•   β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘ β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘ β•šβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•— β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β• β–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•β•β•   β•šβ•β•β•β•β• β–ˆβ–ˆ   β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘ β•šβ•β•β•β•β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘
                                  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•— β•šβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β• β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘  β–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘  β•šβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β•  β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•—        β•šβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•”β• β–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ–ˆβ•‘
                                  β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•  β•šβ•β•β•β•šβ•β•β•  β•šβ•β•  β•šβ•β•   β•šβ•β•β•β•   β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•         β•šβ•β•β•β•β•  β•šβ•β•β•β•β•β•β•
2021-10-11T04:38:14.725Z DRIVER   version 8.4.1
2021-10-11T04:38:14.725Z DRIVER   
2021-10-11T04:38:16.335Z CONFIG   version 8.4.1
2021-10-11T04:38:17.668Z CNTRLR   beginning interview...
2021-10-11T04:38:17.669Z CNTRLR   querying version info...
2021-10-11T04:38:18.968Z CNTRLR   Failed to execute controller command after 1/3 attempts. Scheduling next try i
                                  n 100 ms.
2021-10-11T04:38:20.083Z CNTRLR   Failed to execute controller command after 2/3 attempts. Scheduling next try i
                                  n 1100 ms.
2021-10-11T04:38:22.215Z DRIVER   Failed to initialize the driver: Timeout while waiting for an ACK from the con
                                  troller
Error in driver ZWaveError: Failed to initialize the driver: Timeout while waiting for an ACK from the controller
    at Immediate.<anonymous> (/usr/src/node_modules/zwave-js/src/lib/driver/Driver.ts:795:6) {
  code: 5,
  context: undefined,
  transactionSource: undefined

Under Integrations I have Migrate to Z-Wave JS and when I click on Star Migrating Click on Continue then use the Add-On I get this error:

Aborted
Failed to connect

In .yaml file I have:

zwave:
usb_path: /dev/ttyUSB0

Under Hardware I have:

Please advice.
Thanks

Update: Got it working by Added the following to configuration.yaml:

zwave: usb_path: /dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_HubZ_Smart_Home_Controller_C1300F1D-if00-port0

After running the conversion script all my devices converted and are up and running, however, the entity names did change for my two window/door sensors. For each device, I now have these two:

binary_sensor.door_windows_sensor_any
number.door_windows_sensor_basic

I’m assuming I’m supposed to change number.door_windows_sensor_basic to reflect the number of these sensors I have (2) but not sure how other than increase the number to 2 for both entities. Then if I want to reference one specifically how do I do that. Since each as the β€œ_any” tagged to the end of the sensor.

Finally do I need to customize them to change the device class to window as both of them just show on/off?

Not following you one bit here.

binary_sensor.door_windows_sensor_any is your open/close on that window

number.door_windows_sensor_basic is a slider that you can adjust through the UI. Only you will know what it does as it’s hardware dependent.

Yes