Switching from Zwave 1.4 (Deprecated) to Zwave JS

Hi All, not sure if anyone else is having a similar issue. Looking at the logs for Zwave JS… I see this

It appears that it’s providing the things I would like to know, like the bolt status? Is there any way for the bolt status to be queried and used to update the lock status?

It was necessary to remove the four nodes and add them back in. All nodes are working, but now I need the ability to change the parameter values of some nodes. I hope that shows up soon. Can it be done already and I just don’t see it?

I believe that can be done via zwavejs2mqtt.

I dont see a network key, it is null:

"version": 1,
            "domain": "zwave",
            "title": "Z-Wave (import from configuration.yaml)",
            "data": {
                "network_key": null,

then leave it blank

Ok, will that work? Also, when something went wrong, can I go back… or do I lose everything of zwave?

Yes leaving it blank will work. Secondly, you should make a snapshot before making this migration.

just created a snapshot… Fingers crossed…
Question about rebooting whole system… I run it on a VM… restart VM is enough?

I don’t know. Try it, if you run into errors, do a full reboot. The goal of the reboot is to have the container let go of the USB device. In the past, it wouldn’t let go (Last year). All of that may have changed and a simple container restart may work.

Seems ok, installed it, now If i want to add the integration, should use the Z-Wave JS Supervisor add-on checkmarked?

All went good, the only problem I still have, is that I have 5 toggles for an RGB Led strip…
I guess I need to rethink my automation to set it on certain color…

Just as an FYI…

you don’t necessarily have to delete the old zwave integration before you test the new zwavejs2mqtt system out.

All I did was go to the zwave control panel for the old integration and stop the network. That released the controller and then I started up the zwavejs2mqtt container using the controller.

I did that to allow my zwave devices to start populating in zwavejs2mqtt without deleting my old entities from HA. That way I can slowly get all of my entities added to zwavejs when I have time (in the middle of the night) without affecting things too badly and forcing me to switch to zwavejs right away.

I haven’t tried to add the zwavejs integration alongside the old zwave integration so I can’t say whether that will be an issue or not, tho.

I have been running HA Core in a venv for a long time. It has been very reliable. Automations using between zwave 1.4 devices are virtually instantaneous, such as unlock the door - turn on a light. Anyway it is time to move on. I’ve tried installing zwave-js-server on a test machine and it works okay. I’ve started it on my production machine, with HA stopped, and zwave-js-server runs okay and shows status of the devices on the network. I have not tried to implement in production because my current system is working fine, and feedback on zwav-js is mixed. I installed both zwave-js and @zwave-js/server via npm. The files ended up in node_modules/.bin. I put a service file in /etc/systemd/system to start it. HASS found it in the integrations, and it loaded fine. The only thing I did different for testing on the production machine was pass it the security key in a configuration file. If you wish I could provide more details.

Thanks for the note. My guess is it’s worth creating a separate post on this with a bit more detail and linking it from the original post here (I believe anyone can edit the first post).

Personally, I spun up a spare Raspberry Pi and toyed with the “official” version with the Host, Supervisor and Core. I did have to create an add-on that isn’t available for a service I need, but with this one-time effort I no longer need to maintain all these things manually and can now use the add-on store. I actually still prefer maintaining my own system but HA seems to require more effort more frequently than typical.

I started the painful path of renaming all my devices.
Unfortunately this new integration does not identify the instance of each entity that belongs to a multi entity device such as those Fibaro FGS223 double relay that I mentioned earlier.
I’m still not sure how I am going to be able to properly name these entities, as I cannot tell which one is which, besides the toggle itself (and even for that one I need to turn on and off to identify which one is it).

I also noticed that the entities for these multi entity devices differ from what I used to have in the deprecated integration. I had an Energy and a Power meter for each switch, but now there are three different energy related entities, but only the “Electric (kWh)” is duplicated (meaning one sensor per channel on the double relay), whereas the Energy Consumed (kWh) and Energy Consumed (W) are single sensors.

So, what happened to the individual instant power sensors? How can I make them available again?

Well, 200+ entities after I finally renamed nearly all my entities :slight_smile:

I still have to rename all my battery operated devices (several Fibaro window/door sensor and two Fibaro flood sensors). I already woke them up by using the TMP button, but for some reason they are still listed as “Node xx”. Is there anything I can do to make these devices recognized faster? If not, then what do I have left to do, just wait for them to wake up on their own?

I also miss a control panel to refresh the network, for example, or configure the parameters of a device. From what I understood, I can use zwavejs2mqtt for this purpose, but I need to stop the zwaveJS add-on before starting the zwavejs2mqtt, right? And in that case what will happen to my entities, will the remain the same, no matter what add-on is currently running, or will it be a problem?

I think this is because the old Zwave imported each switch/watts/amps as a separate device. ZwaveJS imports it all under one device and its not obvious which entity belongs to each switch.

Have the same issues your having with Quibino Relays. Luckily I’ve only got 3

In the old ZWave integration these multi-entity devices were imported as single device (single node ID).
Anyway, with some trial and error I managed to rename eveything. Nonetheless, in these multi-instance devices I’m missing some sensors that I used to have with OZW. The default names for the entities are also different, but I guess this is just the result of a different feature catalog.

Hi All,

I am having an issue with Z-Wave JS.
I have a Remotec ZXT-600, which is a Zwave to IR climate control. In OZW 1.4 (Z-wave integration) it works perfectly. Shows up with its Temp Sensor entity and also the Climate entity, whcih is the part that actually controls the A/C unit.
In Zwave JS (and as a note, also in OZW 1.6 beta) only the Temperature Sensor is detected. The climate control part is not detected.
The same thing happens with the Remotec ZXT-120, which is the older version of the same device.

Any advice?

Edit: I have excluded and re-included the node with no change.
Edit 2: Fixed in 2021.3.0b6 (and apparently prod 2021.3.0) Just found this information somewhere else
I do have an issue where the ZXT-600 doesn’t seem configured right as HA won’t grab the actual set temperature, but reported this as an issue on github. Likely a device config issue.