Switching Z-Wave JS Addons with Minimal Downtime! Z-Wave JS (Official) to Z-Wave JS UI (Community)

Thanks s lot! A perfect guide.
Worked flawless!

1 Like

hello, iā€™m getting creasy with Zwave JS UI, sorry but i just began with
how could i get entity inside lovelace, while i have added a zwave module within Zwave JS UI ?
I have include several but i donā€™t get any entries / entity within HA
I loose perhaps some step

I post here because, i did 1rst add official Z-Wave JS, with that i could get entity with lovelace, but as there is no function to add direct group association, i have added Z-wave JS UI, which migrate old associated devices. But i loose the entity already created with Z-Wave JS.

So i have both problem : have the entity from module include directly within Zwave JS UI and getiing back the entity previously created by Z-wave JS official.

if someone could give me a hand.

Step one, when you say:

ā€¦ does that mean you can see you zwave devices inside the zwave js ui?

If yes, step two, are you able to control your devices / read status changes inside your zwave js ui?

If yes, step three: when you go to Settings ā†’ Devices & Services, what do you see?

step one Yes i could see devices inside zwave JS UI

for step 2, yes iā€™am able to use the module with value 0 or 99 to turn on/off the light wired with the module

step 3 i could see that under settings/general/devices/device

OK. Now go to HA dashboard (lovelace) ā€¦
When you go to Settings ā†’ Devices & Services, what do you see? Is there a Z-Wave JS there? And if yes, is that one newly added after you have switched to zwave js ui, or is that one a leftover link from you previous zwave js?

i have deinstalled all the plugin and add-on, before i have excluded all the modules, restart my HAOS and reinstall 1rst Z-waveJS-UI, ADD/SET connector to port 3000 (which is shown in grey but need to be written explicitly, seems not activated by default), then 2nd install ZwaveJS official and specify WITHOUT supervisor (this will enforce the link via port 3000 to UI)

after this install, with these parameters and in this order, everything get available, any node added/modified either in UI or JS and shown in both plugin, as node are now known in JS, entity associated with node are created in HA, usable by lovelace/script/automate,ā€¦

Thank you very much for the guide!!. It worked flawlessly!!. 62 Z-Waves nodes (mainly Fibaro Dimmer, Roller-Shutters and Relays) from Z-Wave JS to Z-Wave JS UI in 10 min. I didnā€™t even have to restart HA. I do not know if I have to do it or reboot HA after the process!. It seems no needā€¦
Transfer the cache file was easy with your guide. The only difference I noted when I set the Serial Port in Step 4 by copying and pasting the path from the Z-Wave JS add-on it didnā€™t work. I had to select /dev/ttyUSB0 instead of the long path I had on Z-Wave JS (as stated here for Aeotec Z-Stick 7).

The long path (by-id) will not show up in the drop down menu, but you can still set it. Did you try copying and pasting the long path?

Yes, I copied and pasted the long path and received an error. I changed to /dev/ttyUSB0 and it worked. Is that a problem?

Yes, thereā€™s no reason for it to fail unless the path was incorrect. If you have future issues, the first thing to check will be the path, as using /dev/ttyUSB0 can be unreliable since it is possible to change, depending on your installation.

Shall I try again with the long path? Change it and restart the add-on?

This was the path I had on Zwave JS

/dev/serial/by-id/usb-Silicon_Labs_CP2102N_USB_to_UART_Bridge_Controller_7898aae58d74ec118854a35019c2d21c-if00-port0

Home Assistant yellow hardware shows (after installing ZWave JS UI):

This path should work. Do you get some error when you use it? You donā€™t need to restart the add-on if you change it, saving the settings should do it already.

Yes. I got an error. I will try again and let you know.

One more question if you donā€™t mind. Is it normal that Name and Location in the control panel is empty? Can I import it from the integration or do I have to change it manually?. If I change it in the Z-Wave JS UI control panel, will I change nameā€™s entities in the integration?

Today I could update the path with the long path (by-id). I imagine I made a mistake yesterday. Thanks!!

Thanks for a great guide, without this i would not have dared to make the switch-over.
Btw, all my devices (only 7 :frowning: ) became completed, one needed wake-up.
Again thanks for great guide!

Iā€™ve been trying this out and running in to one problem at the very last step. Everything is working fine and I see my Z-Wave devices but once I uninstall the official z-wave js addon I lose all my z-wave devices in HA. They still show up on Z-Wave JS UI but the z-wave integration looks like it gets uninstalled too for some reason when I uninstall the official add on.

Uninstalling add-ons doesnā€™t remove the integration. Make sure you follow step 9 to reconfigure it.

I hear what youā€™re saying but the integration is gone after I uninstall the official add on. Iā€™ve tried it three times now and verified each time itā€™s reconfigured and pointing to ws://a0d7b954-zwavejs2mqtt:3000 and showing connected before I uninstall the add on