Switching Z-Wave JS Addons with Minimal Downtime! Z-Wave JS (Official) to Z-Wave JS UI (Community)

Sorry, not something I am able to reproduce. Just tried it. Are you sure you’re deleting the add-on and not the integration?

Yeah 100% sure it’s the add-on, when i ran through the steps the first time i incorrectly did the wrong ones and had to restore from a full backup.

I’ve been restoring from a full backup and rebooting after to get everything working again. If it’s any help I’m running the latest HA version on a RPI4 with HAOS 10.0

Home Assistant 2023.4.5
Supervisor 2023.04.0
Operating System 10.0
Frontend 20230411.1 - latest

I’m not sure 100% which of these I did fixed it but eventually got it converted over. I took a full backup just before I did the Z-Wave JS add-on uninstall and then tried to uninstall. Again it removed the Z-Wave integration, so I restored from that full backup and got back to step 9. Before I tried to uninstall again I went in to the stopped Z-Wave JS add-on and reset the defaults in the configuration section. After that I uninstalled the Z-Wave JS add-on again and this time it kept the Z-Wave integration!

Can you still set parameters in the HA entity page when switching over to Z-WaveJS UI?

Yes, there’s no difference in HA when using either add-on.

I did the conversion and all went well.

After I did a NVM backup on my Zooz 700 S2 stick, the network seemed real sluggish and taking its time to be stable again… think has something to do with the soft reset of the dongle after. I will keep monitoring this, but could have to do with that bug it warns about with 700 series. At least I can do backup of NVM now and then though, even if network goes weird after… better than taking it out and hooking up to a PC.

Thanks for the perfect guide!

1 Like

Great guide. I was completely stuck until @NathanCu pointed me here.
Followed it and finally all my Aeotec 3 phase HEM entities are visible and available to work with inside HA. Hallelujah!

1 Like

Thank you for the very detailed guide!
Noticed 2 things:

• in step 2 the menu (vertical ellipsis) button is not directly on the integration, but one step deeper
  • in step 9 there are some additional configuration choices, like Region (this one felt necessary to configure)
    But everything went very smoothly.

Thanks for the Great Tutorial, everything went well.

1 Like

@freshcoast
This was wonderful to have. Was really confused by these switching instructions and your process worked so well.

One update: my tar.gz file had the jsonl files in the \config\cache folder instead of under the \data\ folder.

1 Like

Great job, thanks a lot :grinning:

In my configuration I had to deactivate the soft reset to see the nodes appear

1 Like

Hello
Many thanks for this tuto !

Just to complete and add a possible correction, the .jsonl file from the backup were located on my side in : ZJS.tar\core_zwave_js\config\cache
(instead of \data\cache at the end of the URL).

If it can help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks for the corrections. I’ve made updates to reflect all the latest software.

As of v0.4.0 of the official add-on, the cache files are easily obtained from a user-visible folder. I’ve removed the instructions to use a partial backup and instead rely on using the Terminal and File editor add-ons to get the files, as those are already commonly installed, and the process is still simpler overall.

This also means it’s trivial to migrate from ZUI back to the official add-on, if you ever need to.

1 Like

Really great work - it’s much appreciated!
I fumbled this transition once before following other guides and this one was… just amazeballs.

1 Like

@freshcoast you are amazing! Your tutorial was fantastic, detailed and it worked perfectly for me.
Thanks for all you work, very much appreciated.

2 Likes

I completed this, and it mostly worked but I have 4 devices that aren’t fully adding and stay on the “protocolinfo” stage. They are all battery devices. I’ve tried pinging them and putting them in inclusion mode but they still won’t add. Any idea how to fix this?

If these devices were fully interviewed before migrating, it means some step was missed.

Regardless of that, the battery devices will stay in ProtocolInfo stage until they are interviewed. Pinging will have no effect on a battery device. Check your user manual to confirm the wake up procedure. Putting them in inclusion mode is the usual method, but not always. You can tail driver logs or watch the node’s Event tab to see if any activity is occurring. There should be at least a Wake Up event, and then a flurry of interview activity. If there is none, the wake up procedure is not working.

21:49:50.645 DRIVER « [Node 012] [REQ] [BridgeApplicationCommand]
                      │ RSSI: -61 dBm
                      └─[Security2CCMessageEncapsulation]
                        │ sequence number: 58
                        │ security class:  S2_Authenticated
                        └─[WakeUpCCWakeUpNotification]
21:49:50.647 CNTRLR « [Node 012] received wakeup notification
2024-02-13 21:49:50.647 INFO Z-WAVE: [Node 012] Is now awake
21:49:50.648 CNTRLR   [Node 012] The node is now awake.

When I try to import the zjs.zip file in step 6 using the restore command, it get an error about not being able to open the zip file. “end of central directory record signature not found”

I am able to use unzip from the command line to test and unzip the file. A little googling suggests it may be a python error.

Is it possible to unzip the file manually? I could not tell where I should place the unzip’d files to continue.

Thanks
Milan

You can upload the files individually. The zip file upload is just a convenience.