Sylvania Smart+ WiFi

Any machine, doesn’t have to be on HA host

Hm, I was able to pair 2/4 with no problems, but the other 2 are really giving me a hard time. just keeps timing out. what mode was your bulb in when you paired? Ive tried the fast flashing mode as well as the slow flashing mode

I just power cycled them all a few times and they started flashing fast. I think if they are flashing slow they are still connected to something. I did get that with one bulb that I had forgotten to remove from the Sylvania app first, and it showed online on the app but was flashing slow. I removed it from the app and power cycled a few more times and it started blinking fast and then I was able to connect. I do believe I had to power cycle one more time after the first connection attempt failed though (even with it flashing fast).

Thank you @quagmirert for posting your method with LocalTuya! I was able to get all 4 of my bulbs working after resolving a few issues. Adding my bulbs to the developer account worked every time. Ensuring that the bulbs were in the fast flashing pairing mode and deleted out of the Sylvania App was key. The problem that I was having was controlling the bulbs with HA. The key enumerated after pairing SOME of the bulbs to the developer account is not the correct key needed for local control. Not entirely sure, but there must be a difference between the key and the local_key. Simply running the tuya-cli wizard command enumerated a different key than the original pairing output. After changing this in the configuration.yaml file, HA was able to control the bulbs without a hitch.

Just catching up with this chain. If I understand it correctly, individual will need to create a Tuya Developer account which would cost $300 at some point! Just confirming because that is a pretty steep ask, why not just get Philips hue lights at that point.

I manged to get one light connected using the “Linking a Tuya device with Smart Link” section. But I can see how it’d be technically easier to link it to Tuya Smart or Smart Life instead, plus you get the added bonus of having cloud & local access.

This whole process has been pretty spotty for me though. Using the previous method, the one light I connected manged to connect after about 7-8 tries, I’d get timeouts or the light would half connect (Turn white then time out before registering with the cloud). When it finally connected tuya-cli failed, it didn’t output an id/key pair, but it was registered on my developer app. I was able to pull the key manually using tuya-cli wizard.

For a second bulb, I wanted to try using the phone app. For the life of me, I can’t seem to get this to work. I set the bulb to fast flashing (pairing mode), not slow flashing (access point mode). The app sees a bulb ready to pair, I tap “Go To” and wait the 1 minute or so, it always times out, however the light does turn white.

I’ve also tried access point mode with a little more luck. When I try pairing with that mode, the light also turns white, but the app tells me “this device is not supported by this app”.

I also tried the Smart Life app with similar results.

@quagmirert did you have to do anything tricky to get these to work in the Tuya app? What version of the app are you using & what kind of phone? I’m wondering if maybe there was an app/firmware update that kills our ability to pair these to the Tuya app.

It would be awesome to get a custom firmware working on these. I’d gladly ditch all this horribly hacked together cloud junk for a piece of hardware I own fully.

I was unable to find any Sylvania bulbs on this list - I assume they’re not directly compatible with the current Tasmota firmware.

I’ve been trying to make some progress through this with the Sylnvania Smart+ WiFi bulbs that I have… One thing I am really confused about – when the bulb is in pairing mode, it has no WiFi configuration on it. How is the Tula-CLI suppose to be able to find the bulb when it’s not on the WiFi Network my computer is on?

I know the sylvania app does find the bulb in pairing mode – but this confuses me as to how just as much :wink:

Running the Tula-CLI link command with the proper API keys and secrets – i can see it sending SMARTLINK packets out, but nothing seems to come back in (or devices found rather). Not sure what I’m missing here.

@ChrisWeiss The Sylvania Bulbs are using the WB8P Tuya Module and therefore are not compatible with Tasmota. Tasmota is explicitly for ESP8266 devices.

1 Like

@Q001 you want to make sure that your computer is on the same network that you will be joining your Smart Bulb on to. The actual network doesn’t matter for the pairing process. As I understand it, the pairing process actually occurs via direct communication. The Tuya-CLI will broadcast out using your WiFi Card and exchange information with a bulb that is in pairing mode. The information exchange will give the bulb the network information and then it will find the bulb on the network.

Yeah - after enough tinkering I was finally able to get them to register in Tuya developer – and then was able to import the bulb via the local Tuya repo… But I couldn’t control it for the life of me. Keys and IDs were correct (checked 'em numerous times and it would fair to import when wrong). After hours I finally gave up and returned those 4 bulbs. Have some LUMIMAN bulbs coming in. Hoping they are a bit better.

following to see how this turns out, I used “linking a tea device with smart link” method and got them to connect and register, but can’t control them, similar issues. Past the return window but would really like to get these bulbs working! Its interesting that this product is walled off from Tuya/Smart Life even though the lights are based off of that.

Quick update – Returned the Sylvania bulbs and did purchase the LUMIMAN bulbs. These work SOOO much better than the sylvania ones. I was able to easily add them to the TuyaSmart app (instead of the app the instructions said to use). From there I was able to use the default Tuya integration in HA, give it my login credentials for Tuya and the devices showed up.

The don’t come across with the correct feature set, so I did have to modify the entity config for each bulb and change the feature from a 3 to 19.

Only drawback to this is that controlling the bulbs in VERY sluggish at times. Next I’ll have to work on trying to use the Local Tuya Repo. Hopefully that goes smoother this time.

Okay. Tried to use Smart Link, but getting this error:

× Device(s) failed to be registered!
Error: permission deny
    at OpenAPI._client.got_1.default.extend.hooks.afterResponse (C:\Users\Kende\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\@tuyapi\cli\node_modules\@tuyapi\link\node_modules\@tuyapi\openapi\dist\api.js:68:31)
    at EventEmitter.<anonymous> (C:\Users\Kende\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\@tuyapi\cli\node_modules\got\dist\source\as-promise.js:87:38)
    at processTicksAndRejections (internal/process/task_queues.js:97:5)

Has anyone else gotten this? Has anyone else worked around this?

@KTibow my guess is that you don’t have the necessary permissions in Windows. I believe the Tuya API needs to be able to control the Network Stack so you most likely need to open a Terminal with Administrative Privileges.

I ran it on a Mac and didn’t have any issues.

Ended up returning them and buying some NiteBird ones, but thanks for the tip.

What integration are you using with the NiteBird bulbs?

LocalTuya for the ones that work, some randomly don’t work, or are on the extender’s wifi, and for those I use Tuya cloud

I tried too, but I am getting this error ?

× Device(s) failed to be registered!
Error: Timed out waiting for devices to connect.
    at TuyaLinkWizard.linkDevice (C:\Users\krona\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\@tuyapi\cli\node_modules\@tuyapi\link\index.js:117:17)
    at runMicrotasks (<anonymous>)
    at processTicksAndRejections (node:internal/process/task_queues:96:5)
    at async link (C:\Users\krona\AppData\Roaming\npm\node_modules\@tuyapi\cli\lib\link.js:47:19)

Can someone pls help me ?

You’re using the sylvania bulbs and are getting these problems, right?