Symfonisk remote connected to ZHA but not working

Hi all !
I’m a bit new to HA and I’m trying to use an IKEA Symfonisk (rotating knob) to control my lights. I managed to connect it through ZHA. However I do not read any outputs neither when I use automation blueprints (ZHA - IKEA Symfonisk sound controller for lights (the spinny one)) nor when I check the events in the developpers tools.
I tried to use a local quirk as suggested in a thread (IKEA SYMFONISK Sound Controller has no actions (ZHA) · Issue #71355 · home-assistant/core · GitHub) but it didn’t change anything.
Any idea how to make it work?

Thanks a lot

1 Like

Hi.
Have you tried removing it from HA, resetting and then adding back?

Hi !

I did several times yes. Before and after setting up the local quirk also.

Same problem for me!

1 Like

How are guys getting the knobs paired? I bought 4 of them today but can’t pair them. I’ve tried the 4 click and single click but HA doesn’t detect them. I know I’m doing something wrong but. It sure what the proper method is.

Thanks in advance!

Add me to the list. I bought a bunch of them today as they are being discontinued, but while I can also easily register them in zha, there are no events fired.

@Bwopito This may be a long shot, but after several hours I finally got mine to work, and then I had several cases where I seemingly got it to pair but did not get any events. It seems like it was just a case of a very sensitive pairing process.

What I did in the dnd was to first click 4 times on the pairing button. The Symfonisk flashes red a few times, goes dark, and the comes back with a constant red led. At this time I held it up just next to the dongle (Conbee II), so close that it physically touched, and then started the pairing process in HA by clicking add device.

The pairing process went through seemingly as every other time, but now the events were suddenly coming in. On the successful pairing I did not use the custom quirk, but also tested ghis earlier.

It seems like a lot of superstition but maybe it is worth a try :slight_smile:

I bought 2 Symfonisk remote controls and had to figure out that 1) the documented 10 sec press on the button doesn’t seem to do anything 2) the 4 rapid button presses are required to make the device ready to pair (it’s a factory reset). 3) an extra button press seems to initiate the pairing process.

The first device paired quickly (once I figured out the factory reset step). However, the second device took well over 10 tries to eventually pair. There must be some race condition that prevents a smooth pairing.

So the next day, my devices were unresponsive. Even when they were working, the volume control experience was marginal. You had to turn them A LOT to get any kind of volume response. I am returning them to IKEA and buying some candles instead :angry:

1 Like

Has anyone found a solution to this at all? I’ve got 4 of these and cannot get any events from them.