Synology - ConBee - deconz

i thought because it cannot use usb, and requires ser2tcp…my mistake :thinking:

Donot think it does, z2m zha etc. go straight to the stick but in some (!) cases you may need ser2ip/tcp…e.g. I have my rfxcom on another machine and then I user ser2ip to manage it.

@Elkiaer if you have setup docker to run on ‘host’ and you followed the instructions of Mario then you should be able to use ZHA and connect to the stick…without deconz. Now I myself am z2m as it covers more (for the moment)
When you add ZHA it should show you the stick(s)

Why not use Virtual Machine Manager and install supervised version of HA from OVA on Synology? Bonus is that you can pass-through any USB device, as drivers are required on guest OS level, not DSM (which does not support Conbee).

Yep…that is an idea too… I am OK with docker and like that more than HAOS…subjective a bit :slight_smile:

Thanks for all the input

I am new in using HA, have used it for 1½ month, so what is best to use, deconz, z2m or ZHA I do not know.

Right now deconz is not a opportunity because there is no USB driver for it, I had try following the guidance on webpage “Synology: How to Add USB Support on DSM 7 – Marius Hosting” with no luck, the right drives is not made.

So, what to use z2m or ZHA?

What is the easiest to setup with good guidance? And can I run it through Docker on my Synology?

vingerha you mention that you use z2m and you know many others use ZHA. Before I did try deconz I saw that ZHA was an alternative.

Can you help me a little bit here :blush:

Sorry for the late input, but I was to a football game yesterday and had 6 washing machines with football clothing after wood; we did win so it was not that hard :blush:

Here is my Hardware taken from the Synology; here you can also see my ConBee2.

I prefer Z2M as it supports wider but ZHA will grow too.
My first suggestion is to make sure that you can connect to a zigbee device with your dongle

Option 1: make sure that your container works, it SHOULD work if you followed the instructions to the letter.
Can you confirm that your container is on ‘host’ ?

If so, when in HA > Settings > Devices > add the ZHA integration and try to add the conbee adapter either with /dev/ttyACM0 or /dev/ttyUSB0 … I am not sure where your plug is

Note that along the instructions…each restart requires re-doing some of the steps. My NAS hardly restarts (only with firmware upgrades)

Option 2:
So you could setup HAOS via the VMM setup, this would avoid toying around with containers yourselves (in HAOS these are called addons) and would bring the drivers into the vmm and that should work along @mirekmal
You can leave all containers as - is for now
Follow this one for the setup
Installation on Synology Virtual Machine Managager - Community Guides - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)
Note that the startup after install may take 10+ minutes (depends on HW) so be patient if it does not show immediately

Just noticed your HW specs…memory is a bit thin with 2…it will work but not with a lot of stuff next to it so you should consider adding 4 or more but that is for later

And now waiting for your feedback… hereby another similar issue with the setup that you may follow
Help with install conbee2 on HA docker synology ds220+ - Configuration - Home Assistant Community (home-assistant.io)

Hi vingerha

As I can see my container is not on Host. So, I stop already here.

I prefer option 1, as it has not been possible to me to work with Home Assistant Supervised/Add-ons.
I guess that the container solution is more a standard Docker way to do it.

Your screenshot does not show the Netvaerk tab so I have to take your word for it
But do verify and/or change your container to host…not just for this one, also for detecting other devices
EDIT: not sure if you know how to do this but if indeed not on ‘host’, then your need

1. remove the old container
  2. re-launch from the image which would allow you to set as below…and re-apply the other settings as volume, etc.

SORRY did not see you guidens correct.

If I delete the container, will I then lose all the work with devices I already have set up?

I found this YouTube video “Living without add-ons on Home Assistant Container - YouTube “6:40 to 8:52”and it looks so easy as he informs, but when he has a Linux computer with different directories its not easy :frowning:

I can see that I have ttyACM0
crw------- 1 root 3, 187 Aug 8 2018 ttyab
crw------- 1 root 3, 188 Aug 8 2018 ttyac
crw------- 1 root 166, 0 Feb 12 21:14 ttyACM0
crw------- 1 root 3, 189 Aug 8 2018 ttyad
crw------- 1 root 3, 190 Aug 8 2018 ttyae

BUT
cannot see it
Serial1

Not sure ho 1far you went but… here youi’d have to select the conbee and the next screen will allow you to enter the path

Not if you have properly setup your config folder outside of the container with the volume option (-v)
This /config is important to setup as it allows you upgrading to new versions.
And in this initial setup , as already on host, not needed

OK
When I chose conbee.
zha1
The following window will come and here I have northing to chose, have made a guess " /dev/ttyACM0" but that was nor correct.
zha2
So I guess that the serial port has not been added to Docker.

Thats all new for me with the config folder outside the container. Mine looks lige this:

I have now made a backup from Home Assistant and a backup from Docker in Synology and exproted the files out of the Docker folder.
bu1
How to restore the backups I have not investigate in yet.

did you doublecheck on /dev/tty* ? Is your hardware still showing the conbee II stick?
sure it is not ttyUSB0?

Try this too, might have no access allowed if docker is not run as root
chmod 777 /dev/ttyAM0

A full restore is setting back the whole config folder, I backed this up to google drive via the Syno intergration with google

In my Synology I can still see the it.

And strange - as you can see earlier in this tread I could see /dev/ttyACM0 but now I can niether see /dev/ttyACM0 or ttyUSB0.

I use PuTTY (64-bit) to make a SHH on my Synology. One I have also been using for my SailfishOS.