Synology DSM - UPS status sensor

I think a nice (small?) feature could be to add support for UPS from Synology DSM. This way helps to trigger some shutdowns or prepare for power loss. I know that there is an integration for UPS, but in my case, the UPS is not near HA and the UPS is not network-controlled. But luckily is near to my Synology.

Thank you for the amazing work, devs/community.

This is already supported! My UPS is connected to Synology, using NUT integration in HA to see state and create automation.

1 Like

Hi BeardedTinker, :smile: (I watched recently some of your videos, good stuff :+1:). If I try to install in HA, NUT integration, it asks for the server hostname, port user, and pass. Do I need to provide a Synology hostname? And which user and pass? The admin?

L.E. Just make it clear, synology and HA are on different machines (HA is on RPi).

Thank you.

I too have a CyberPower UPS that is direct attached to my Synology via USB reporting via NUT to Home Assistant. It took some fiddling around at the shell command prompt of the Synology to get DSM 6 to share the UPS info out to NUT. I believe the link below is the guide I used to get this working.

Good hunting!

https://diktiosolutions.eu/en/synology/synology-ups-nut-en/

Hello again! BeardedTinker’s solution was simple and it worked. I provided the NUT integration with the IP, user/password from Synology and it worked.

Thank you.

Hi Dani, great you succeeded! Do mind sharing your sensor readings? I have an APC Back-UPS ES 850G2 - firmware 938.a2.I - but different readings than BeardedTinker’s output.

Thanks in advance.

Hi m4v3r1k, same for me. Some things are missing (switch), I also thought that I have also controls not just sensors.

Hi @BeardedConti just wondering if you might have any idea what Dani and I are lacking or is the NUT output just different as per UPS brand/model? TIA!

1 Like

Switch is not from UPS, that one I created in HA. When it switches to battery it turns on :slight_smile:
But also, each manufacturer but also device series has different options in both Synology and also NUT.
I’ve created few automation for back when Zigbee didn’t know what state to return to after power failure.
When power is restored I would send to all lights turn_off just to prevent them from being in ON state.
Also I track some other things for it too, but that’s all “custom” need to prevent some problems.

1 Like

Thank you very much BeardedTinker for your additional information about the readings for any other UPS (brand/model) and the additional switch you created yourself.

Much appreciated. Cheers

Thank you also for the additional info. Additional question for both (or someone who knows). If Synology on power loss tells UPS to shut down. When power is restored will both (UPS + NAS) startup again?

Thank you again.

Thank you BeardedTinker and everybody. Also my CPS 1600E working with same sensors.

This depends on two settings:

• UPS has to be able to auto start on power restore
  • Synology has to be set to start on power restore
    In Synology you have option to set that one, can’t remember where it was, but for UPS, it depends on the model - some have option to configure, but others have pre-set states. Please check your UPS documentation on that one.

Thank you.

I’ll try to search for UPS.

For Synology I think is this:

Yes, that should be it!

@danim I am providing the NUT integration with the IP, user/password from Synology (Home Assistant is running inside Docker) and it does not work for me. I keep getting Failed to connect. I must be doing something wrong, but what? Thanks

I take it you are referring to this NUT integration?

I have enabled the network UPS server

Hi @Snowman66 , yes, those are the things that I did, maybe is something with UPS. Mine is an APC Smart-UPS 1500 and it works, it connects, and I see data. But, I tried to read the state in node-red and either it was not reporting/updating or reporting/updating took some time. I didn’t test it too much at the time.

Thanks @danim. Mine is an APC Back-UPS RS 1000MS. I’ll keep digging out.

Did you allow the IP address of HA so that NUT integration can access it?

@Snowman66, I have been having the same issue, I have my network segregated within Vlans with the synology on eg vlan1 and HA on vlan2, and i get the same issue.

The solution i have found is to move the synology to the same vlan, this now works straight away, which suggests that your synology and HA has to be on the same network.

Also I did not have to enter any username or login.

@BeardedConti, I have been using your guides for some time (they got me through lockdown) thus I would like to thank you. I always know what I am going to get when i watch your videos.

1 Like