Synology NAS with HUSBZB-1

Hi all,

Has anyone able to run HomeAssistant on Synology NAS with HUSBZB-1 combo stick? I don’t see any new device in "/dev/ when I plugin the stick to my DS216+II.

fwiw, I see my Aeon zwave stick show up in “/dev”

Thanks!

Did you ever find a solution to this?

I figured out a solution to this issue. Synology does not have drivers installed for this device, however, if you install the Domoticz package (http://www.jadahl.com/) the drivers will be installed along with that software. You can just ignore the Domoticz software.

2 Likes

Did you install Domoticz as a package and do you have to run it to get the drivers working? Thanks for this post have not seen anything on getting the HUSBZB-1 working in Synology.

I just installed it, I didn’t have to actually run or use it.

Thank you - this worked perfectly. I used the driver only package on that site, for my DSM and cpu version, link here : http://www.jadahl.com/drivers/ installed the package, then plugged/unplugged the usb stick and it found it and assigned to /dev/ttyUSB0 and /dev/ttyUSB1 immediately when i ran dmesg.

1 Like

amazing! lifesaver, thanks for sharing

Does anyone have this working on a more recent 6.2 DSM?

For those who are having problem get zwave usb stick “recognized” by synology (i.e. the Synology can’t attach a path (such as /dev/ttyUSB0 or /dev/ttyACM0 ) , I think I found where the problem lies.

In short, the problem is that some of the zwave usb stick require a different driver which is not part of Synology’s DSM distribution. In my particular case, I need cp201x driver be loaded to the system.

For those who can’t get their zwave usb stick to be “recognized,” chances are, when you go to /lib/modules directory, you won’t able to find the driver file, which typically named something like cp201x.ko .

The key here is to find this cp201x driver. By some googling, I found someone who is implementing a home automation system, and he packaged the entire home automation system as well as the needed driver (i.e. my precious cp201x) in form of a synology package.

To download and install the correct driver, do the following:

1. Identify the chipset which your Synology NAS is using. The reference page is here

2. Go to jadahl’s website and download the appropriate driver

3. manually install the spk package via your Synology GUI

4. unplug and re-plug your USB stick

You can log into synology and type dmesg to check. You should see something like this:

[155739.488501] usb 3-1: reset full-speed USB device number 3 using etxhci_hcd-170202
[155739.517380] usb 3-1: cp210x converter now attached to ttyUSB0
[155739.524005] usb 3-1: cp210x converter now attached to ttyUSB1
[155785.532727] aufs au_opts_verify:1571:dockerd[15135]: dirperm1 breaks the protection by the permission bits on the lower branch

as of why there are TWO device attached instead of one, let me know if you actually know the answer. I am just some script kid using other people’s work.

Of course, once you know that the usb device is attached, you have to set up the home assistant, yada, yada, yada.

Last thing… donate a buck or two to jadahl when everything worked :slight_smile:

1 Like

So I just bought a ds218+ and want to get the HUSBZB-1 to work for both zigbee and z-wave devices. I’m leaning on installing home assistant but might go with open hab. Have you guys gotten this type of configuration to work? Does knghrvd solution seem to work?

If you just bought Synology, you can give Home Assistant a try relatively easily, as your Synology is a x86 machine and docker is supported.

You can simply run a home assistant in docker environment and it should able to run it easily.

Give it a try first and then post questions here, as there are docker-related options you kind of need to know to make HA more usable in real world settings.

Hey yall, I’d like to get the HUSBZB-1 working on DSM 7. The drivers for DSM 7 provided by http://www.jadahl.com/ are not compiled in an easy-to-install .spk – there are direction but I’m pretty novice at this so I would love some help manually installing the .ko files.

The part I’m getting tripped up on in the directions: “Place the drivers in /lib/modules folder”.

I tried to copy the drivers via SSH but I keep getting “Permission denied”. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How are you accessing the folder structure? Are you using SSH and command lines or are you in DiskStation? If commands, make sure you’re using sudo?

Thanks for following up on my old post! I figured it out though, it may have been the lack of ‘sudo’ but what I actually did was also change the folder permissions based on this tutorial using the command “sudo chmod 755 /lib/modules”… After that I was able to copy the files via SSH.

Great. My entire integration broke today. Does anyone have new instructions for enabling the stick for Synology? The driver’s are all still there but there’s no ttyusb or ttyacm showing at all.

7.0? or 7.1? 7.0 is easy… 7.1 i’m trying to figure that out right now.

1. Download the drivers you need.
  2. copy startup file to /usr/local/etc/rc.d/start-usb-drivers.sh
  3. copy the driver to /lib/modules/cp210x.ko
  4. Check permissions and restart.

Good to go.

Jadahl is down for me right now so 7.1 is out.

I’m currently using the 7.0 drivers on 7.1 and they’re working out so far.