Synology security status sensor

Can anyone explain what the security status binary sensor is? What sets it, what is it looking for? Any info would be appreciated.

I would like to know this too. Its a new addition with no explanation and my NAS is showing “unsafe”

See here, and read some of the posts below, explains some of the details:

And there the forum infinite loop is created.

I’m aware of this, however, like @Mariusthvdb my Security Advisor shows all green yet I still have an “unsafe” status. Maybe it’s because there are a few things I have told the Security Advisor to ignore. Maybe it’s because I access Synology DSM via HTTP internally on the network. I have a signed certificate from Let’s Encrypt and not a self signed one for external access. Maybe it’s because not all of the accounts use 2FA. My point is I don’t know why I still have an unsafe status, so I would like to know what criteria sets this sensor status.

1 Like

So it looks like there was an update edit to the post that was linked. He changed the default port of DSM, rebooted, and the status went safe. Makes me wonder 2 things. I use the default ports but disable the alert, so maybe it doesn’t like that. The status only changes when DSM is restarted, but I cannot/have not tested that. However, I do ignore the DSM update alert email, so maybe that’s what it doesn’t like. I cannot reboot DSM to test at this time.

Ok, so I had time to play with this sensor over a few days. It literally is just the status of security advisor. I did combinations of enabling/disabling status checks and alerts along with reboots of HA and my NAS. every time security advisor showed an alert, the status was unsafe and every time security advisor was green checkmark, the status was safe. In other words, the result was what I expected it to be each time. However, one thing I did not try (wasn’t patient enough and just rebooted HA after every change because sensor update interval is 20 minutes even though I have it set to 10 minutes in the integration config) was when exactly the sensor changes state. Does the next polling interval catch it (should), or does it take a restart of HA or reinitialization of the sensor to read the status.

1 Like

The Security Advisor appears to be the solution. When I opened my Security Advisor on my Synology it indicated that it needed an update. My Synology Security Advisor had Auto Scan enabled, but it was during a period where the device was not powered on. Might be a case that the Security Advisor wasn’t able to execute the Auto Update.
Prior to this I checked all the DSM and Application updates, because it was indicating Update Needed.

Thanks…

1 Like