SystemD Journal warning is still there after 6 months

I got below warning 6 months ago and I believe I fixed it, maybe I also clicked ignore on the message but I do not think so.
Now it popped up again but with the original date.

`Unsupported system - Systemd Journal issues

System is unsupported because Systemd Journal and/or the gateway service is missing, inactive or misconfigured . Use the link to learn more and how to fix this.

Warning - 11/5/2022`

Is this message still valid i.e. I still have the problem? Or is the message just stuck and I need to ignore it.

I had it recently too.
I had to purge the systemd-journal, os-agent and the supervisor from the hostOS and reinstall the newest versions.
Be sure to delete old versions if you follow guides or you might download to another name than expected, because the file already exist, which means your guide will tell you to install a filename of an old file.

I am in the same situation, that message pop up again after 6 months and I fixed it at that time.
Again, following the suggested procedure, reinstalling the service went fine, updated the os-agent went fine but the update of homeassistant-supervised.deb to the 1.4.2 version wasn’t possible because it doesn’t support my OS ([error] Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) is not supported!).
Anyway, the problem of updating the homeassistant supervised package should not affect the solution of the journal problem in my opinion. I noticed that in the previous days, I saw an update of the systemd-journal-gatewayd package, which probably triggered the popup of the warning.
If anyone has more clues on how to resolve it, it’ll be very appreciated!
Thank you, best! M.

Raspbian is not a supported OS, so it makes sense you can’t install the supervisor and it is the supervisor that connects to the systemd-journal-gateway service.

Okay, I cannot migrate on pure Debian since I haven’t found any documentation on how to configure my Raspbee.
What I’ll miss if the System Journald service is broken? Is it problematic?
Thank you, best. Michele

What are you running on your Debian besides HA?
Do you actually use the little benefits of a supervised installation?
Many would probably be better off with a HAOS installation, where everything is handled for you by the HA developers.

I have other services for my home that are running, backups of my laptop etc. so I cannot run the HassioOS. I was running it at the beginning, years ago but then I extended a lot of the services and cannot go back.

rm -rf /run/systemd-journal-gatewayd.sock
touch /run/systemd-journal-gatewayd.sock
nano /etc/systemd/system/systemd-journal-gatewayd.socket

content of /etc/systemd/system/systemd-journal-gatewayd.socket

#  SPDX-License-Identifier: LGPL-2.1-or-later
#
#  This file is part of systemd.
#
#  systemd is free software; you can redistribute it and/or modify it
#  under the terms of the GNU Lesser General Public License as published by
#  the Free Software Foundation; either version 2.1 of the License, or
#  (at your option) any later version.

[Unit]
Description=Journal Gateway Service Socket
Documentation=man:systemd-journal-gatewayd(8)

[Socket]
ListenStream=/run/systemd-journal-gatewayd.sock

[Install]
WantedBy=sockets.target

reboot

7 Likes

Killed it!
Thank you, now it is back working as usual. :pray:
Services at daemon level are a bit tricky for me and I haven’t found the time to dig more deeply but now it is solved.
Would be great if the package homeassistant-supervised would be compatible with Raspbian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye), I am probably now sticking to the 1.3.1 version until it will became a blocking problem.

I had a similar issue on one of my HA instances but found a different solution.
I’m posting it here to an old thread in case its able to help someone down the road.

Firstly, I’m running supervised HA in docker on an RPi Model 4 running Bullseye.

I tried all the suggested solutions but none worked, so then compared the HA install with the issue to another one that does not have the issue and I found that /etc/systemd/system/systemd-journal-gatewayd.socket.d/10-hassio-supervisor.conf did not exist on the system w/ the issue.

I created the /etc/systemd/system/systemd-journal-gatewayd.socket.d dir
and then created 10-hassio-supervisor.conf with the following content
[Socket]|
ListenStream=

After reboot the repair went away and I was able to view the host log in settings->system->logs

2 Likes

Thanks,

Chasing my tail with this one for a while, this solved it!

I was trying to chase where this is being used in the code and verify the unix socket path. I can confirm now that “/run/systemd-journal-gatewayd.sock” is hardcoded in the code: supervisor/supervisor/host/logs.py at 3cd617e68f07799dce6bc480196dd532ac5aa374 · home-assistant/supervisor · GitHub

There were several issues in my setup, first that socket file was turned into a directory as already mentioned several times here. This is because the container hassio_supervisor binds this file to its own file socket file:

$ docker inspect hassio_supervisor
        "Mounts": [...
            {
                "Type": "bind",
                "Source": "/run/systemd-journal-gatewayd.sock",
                "Destination": "/run/systemd-journal-gatewayd.sock",
                "Mode": "rw",
                "RW": true,
                "Propagation": "rprivate"
            }

and if the socket file wasn’t properly initialized by the host system, the default behaviour of docker would automatically create an empty directory and bind that, thus, it became a directory instead of a file. To make sure the socket is created, follow what ShortPutt already did, do

$ systemctl edit systemd-journal-gatewayd.socket
# add the these lines at the top
[Socket]
ListenStream=

Verify the override, by using the cat systemctl command: systemctl cat systemd-journal-gatewayd.socket.

Second issue in my setup was that systemd-journal-remote.service was listening in HTTPS.

$ systemctl cat systemd-journal-remote.service
[Service]
ExecStart=/lib/systemd/systemd-journal-remote --listen-https=-3 --output=/var/log/journal/remote/

As you can see, --listen-https is given. All I had to do is replace that with --listen-http instead.

$ systemctl edit systemd-journal-remote.service
# again add these lines at the top
[Service]
ExecStart=
ExecStart=/lib/systemd/systemd-journal-remote --listen-http=-3 --output=/var/log/journal/remote/

Use the systemctl cat again to verify the change.

Afterwhich, I just reboot.

For reference, this is my HA machine info:

$ cat /etc/os-release 
PRETTY_NAME="Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)"
NAME="Debian GNU/Linux"
VERSION_ID="11"
VERSION="11 (bullseye)"

$ uname -a
Linux ha 5.10.0-29-amd64 #1 SMP Debian 5.10.216-1 (2024-05-03) x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ root@ha:~# ha info
arch: amd64
channel: stable
docker: 26.1.3
features:
- reboot
- shutdown
- services
- network
- hostname
- timedate
- os_agent
- resolved
- journal
- disk
hassos: null
homeassistant: 2024.5.5
hostname: ha
logging: info
machine: qemux86-64
operating_system: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye)
state: running
supervisor: 2024.05.1
5 Likes

@francisp nailed it. Thank you so much. Been chasing this error for a long time now. Tried everything i could find on the internet, but not this. Thanks again

Harry

Thanks man, you saved the day! :sunflower: