Tablet for wall Recommendations

I have old iPad 4 devices that don’t work well with many styles in customizations like custom icons and icon colors.

iPads are expensive. I’m ok with something else - they’re going to be on the wall just as long as they work well with Home Assistant.

A Kindle Fire HD 10 is $149.

Any other suggestions? I assume a Fire HD 10 would have no problems with anything HA can throw at it?

2 Likes

Costco has the Galaxy Tab A7 10” for $179. Seems like that would be the best to run the HA app. If I bought a Fire HD 10, I’d have to run unsupported apps that may not be the most stable over the long run as OS updates come out.

Is there any reason why I would want to buy an Amazon Fire HD 10 over a Samsung Galaxy Tab A7?

1 Like

I run a couple Fire HD 10’s with Fully Kiosk Browser…they work very well. I have Fully dim the screen until something crosses its camera path and then it lights up. I bought a couple of Mounts from mbmounts.com and mounted them over a receptacle outlet and wired it in directly. Good luck!

Do you have to install the Fire Toolbox to get that installed? What other things did you have to do so that you can run HA on the device? Have there been any issues with running customized cards in HA? Have you been able to use dynamic icons and change the color of that icons based on state without any trouble on the device?

I have no idea what Fire Toolbox is so, I’m going to assume that I’m not running it. lol…So far no matter what I’ve thrown at it it’s running pretty flawlessly. I have the following running within loveleace:

Bar-Card
Button-Card
Shutter Card
Koisk Mode
Auto Entities
Slide Entity Row
State Switch
Mini Graph Card
Mini Media Player
Weather Card
Fan Control entity Row
clockwork Card
Vertical Stack Card
Layout Card

I really think it has more to do with the browser than the tablet, and Fully Kiosk browser is fantastic for this application.

I’ve used the Fully Kiosk browser for over a year on refurbished Fire Tablets HD 8 and 10. This can be set to stay on constantly. Example: I just bought a used HD 8 (8th gen) on Woot with the wireless stand for under $60. This generation of Fire tablet allowed me to download the Fully browser using the built in Silk browser (after allowing “Apps from Unknown Sources” in the Security & Privacy Settings). In addition, I can still use Alexa commands and automatically see my Wyze cameras when motion is detected (using the Alexa Wyze skill and an Alexa automation routine). Occasionally I have to deal with tablet updates and restart the Fully browser.

1 Like

Cool… Have you don’t any custom icons and icon colors based on state?

I most of those icons change color when turned on.

Also, forgot to mention that the Tablet returns to the Fully browser shortly after asking Alexa to display the weather, set a timer, etc…

Here is a 21” panel lcd flush mounted to the wall running lineage OS (Android derivative) on a RPI4. I am having a frame made to fit around.

2 Likes

Nice!
Touchscreen?

Yeah, and how responsive is it in the UI when you click around and change screens? (If it’s a touchscreen)

Yes it’s a touchscreen and it’s very responsive. I run HA and a calendar in split screen. It’s a multitouch capacitive touch screen and the RPI4 has plenty of power to keep things running smoothly. I have a per room custom zoned hvac system. I set and control the thermostats using homeassistant. I designed BLE temperature beacons placed in each room with inflatable dampener system. So it’s very important that homeassistant stays up and running.

I ended up ordering an Amazon Fire HD 10. Will see how it is once I get it. Will reply to this thread with some brief thoughts. Should be here Wednesday.

@gwillen
Would you please post the make and model of the screen? It looks brilliant and I can imagine it becoming scarce very soon. :blush:

Do you use HDMI only or USB too for the touch?

Sorry I missed the notification’s in my email. https://www.alibaba.com/product-detail/21-5-wall-tablet-touch-panel_1600068813757.html?spm=a2756.order-detail-ta-bn-b.0.0.3f792fc27qM7eA. The supplier is fantastic. I communicated with several before I settled on this one. Delivered in 7 days albeit with a faulty power supply but that wasn’t an issue as I couldn’t use that power supply in the wall anyway. Also want to add it has a builtin speaker which is nice for chimes and notifications. Yes it uses hdmi and usb for touch input. Worked with Lineage without any configuration.

1 Like

I also want to add for those of you who are considering a tablet. Lithium Ion batteries under constant charge with inadequate ventilation is a recipe for disaster. They are designed to dissipate heat from the back.

1 Like

Thanks @qwillen,
I’m about to order a RPi 4b with 8G and this is the best option I can see. Tablets may not receive firmware updates and not be rootable, as well as have a battery problem you raised.
Another ask; would you please post your physical and any software quirks to make it work seamlessly? How do you handle screen on time? Is there a form of proximity sensor to activate the screen when activity is sensed?
This is even likely to get the WAF.

For Lineage OS I followed this guide. As far as managing screen on time I just use the android auto dark theme. At night the light is minimal since the entire screen is black. It doesn’t come with a proximity sensor like traditional android device. It’s just a bare display. The screen worked out of the box with Lineage OS and required zero configuration or calibration. I bought a Mean Well dual mode power supply mounted in the basement for powering the display (12V@8A) and RPI4 (5V@3AMP). If the RPI4 is under powered you will have display issues as it cuts power from the GPU in order to keep the main processor functioning.

@gwillen
Thanks Gabriel,
Which RAM version of the Pi did you use? I’m tempted by the 8G but it may be overkill.

The screen looks fantastic and one will be coming shortly.

Frank

Frank,

Buy the 8GB because nobody regrets having to much memory. :slight_smile:

Gabe