Tablet Wall Mount Built (magetic & wireless charging)

Dear folks,

today I want to share my custom magnetic and wireless charging tablet wall mount. Due to the lack of proper mounts in the internet, I decided to built my own:

Based on FreeCAD I created a printable 3D object:

As I do not own a 3D printer myself, I uploaded my file here and ordered a print at the seller GT-print (can recommend that one):

Once the print arrived, I sanded it and painted it in white:

I bought these Neodym magnets, painted them also white and glued them on the wall mount:

In order to charge the tablet wirelessly, I bought a qi wireless charging adapter for the iPad 2019:

And round metal plates that will connect with the magnets:

Finally, we need a Qi Wireless Charging plate that supports “fast” charging (I removed the white charging LEDs):

Assembled at the back of the 3D print:

The total costs were 46,6€

• 3D print 15€
  • Magnets 10€
  • Qi Wireless Receiver: 14€
  • Metal plates: 4€
  • Qi Wireless Charger 3,6€

Happy sharing :slight_smile:

28 Likes

Very nice.

Question: it looks in the last photo that the qi charging coil sticks out quite a long way. How well does the whole thing sit against the wall?

I love this! I was just working on mounting my old Nexus 9 to the wall and you’ve given me an excellent idea!

@nickrout it sits well against the wall, everything fits within the wholes at the back. As I did not want to drill a cable duct in the wall, cabling is on the surface

@flamingm0e I just decided to upgrade to 6 magnets. 4 are probably also sufficient but I want to secure the Tablet as much as possible. As the nexus has the same weight, you may want to consider this during planning, too :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was looking at the photo the wrong way, it looked like it was sticking out rather than sunken is. Classic optical illusion!

That is the only bit I am not so keen about. I think I would include a small power supply and place it next to a light switch and crib some 240v power. The meanwell supplies are good. I’d probably put that supply in the wall void and just a usb cable emerging from the wall.

In this light, some of these flat style cables are good for this sort of thing https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32866540017.html

@nickrout in case you can easily drill ducts / big holes holes into the wall, I would definitely go for your solution. Unfortunately with concrete walls this is not much fun and entails partial renovation :smiley:

You could even power it via lan

The cons of the Qi charging is its low speed as it is intended for mobile phones. But one does not need to unplug / plug a cable for some browsing on the couch.

As I changed from a galaxy tab to an iPad, I am still searching how I can automatically put the tablet in standby mode via an automation. On the galaxy I used the browser_mod but that does not work anymore on the iPad, just turns the background black

Wooden framing, plasterboard over that, the most common house construction in NZ. It tends to bend rather than collapse in an earthquake.

Usually the cavity if full of thermal insulation, and the framing is both vertical and horizontal so poking wires is not super simple, but it is easier than concrete!

I can get under my house so anywhere on the ground floor I can run a ethernet cable and put it up through a hole in the bottom framing plate, and put a port just abve the skirting.

But I digress. Nice design, and thank you.

1 Like

I like it a lot.

I was just today looking for something similar for a wall mount/wireless charger for my phone and I wasn’t successful at all. I ended up ordering a small shelf that i can put the qi charger pad I currently use on the bedside stand onto & get it up a bit higher so I don’t bump the phone off the charger in the night. (stupid CPAP machine hose… :frowning:)

How does the tablet get leveled when you stick it to the wall. Do you have to worry about making it level when putting it back on the wall? It seems like the 3D printed base could use a bottom ledge to guide it into a level position?

Very cool. Just curious, why a 2019 iPad lol

@bbrendon I liked the clean look without any ledge. It works but I decided to upgrade to two more magnets in the middle as there is still some unused space left and I want to make it even stronger - just to be completely sure. I modify the printed mount today and upload new pictures and a conclusion later

@shanem I used a galaxy tab t510 before and Lovelace ui was horribly unresponsive on that slow Tablet at the lower end. The second reason to upgrade to an 2019 7th gen iPad (the cheapest) is that browsing is way more comfortable (thus I wanted a magnetic wall mount to use it at any time and easily attach it again to the mount)

1 Like

UPDATE
Today I upgraded to 6 magnets (additional holes made with a dremel, thus not that smooth like printed) and attached a back plate that is slightly higher as the metal pads. In combination with the charging adapter (which is also slightly higher) they prevent that the tablet can be pushed from the top to the bottom and potentially fall down by force from the top. Now I am really satisfied and think a ledge is not necessary.

1 Like

I like your dashboard UI. Are you using Lovelace UI?

The first pic in this thread is lovelace.

Yes, it’s the old color scheme of @aFFekopp https://github.com/aFFekopp/homeassistant

Updated design :slight_smile:

1 Like

Why don’t u not just build it into the wall like me :joy:

I put a touchscreen Waveshare with Intel NUC

@thundergreen Looks nice. I am also using the tablet for internet browsing and in the basement for my 3d printers. Thus I wanted it to be easily removable and attachable. The walls are also steel enforced concrete, therefore the cable is not hidden :joy:

You use a nuc to drive a wall display? Seems a bit OTT.

One good reason for the magnetic mount is that you can take it off the wall and sit on the sofa with your touch dispay, or use it as, well, an ipad.