TADO valves without using TADO server?

Did you manages to get this working correctly? I tried recently but found that I had to have the Tado integration installed too.

Hi! Obviously, this thread is old and your question probably not relevant for you anymore. However, since it kept popping up on my recent search how to set up tado valves/thermostats with HA without using the tado cloud / server / app, I would like to quickly share my experiences.

In short: In my setup (HA OS installation on RP4, tado bridge, 2 tado valves) I could set everything up without any tado software/app/integration. Valves are in manual mode (“hand” instead of “house” in display), but temperatures can be set nicely set via HA/lovelace or in automations.

These steps have been working for me without the tado app or any prior registration, hence, out of the box

• Connect tado bridge to power and LAN, wait until all three lights are lit
  • Install HomeKit-Controller (!) integration in HA - in my case tado bridge was immediately found
  • Unpack valves, take off back part, pull out paper to connect batteries
  • On the bridge, press and hold front “pair” button for 3 sec until light flashes quickly
  • On the valve, press and hold pairing button for 3 sec, wait for valve to show: - - -
  • On bridge, quit pairing mode by again pressing and holding the pairing button for 3 sec

In my case, the first valve appeared in HA as a device of the HomeKit-Controller integration after some minutes. For the second valve, it took an HA restart to show the device (or I have been too impatient).

Downside of not registering the equipment with tado might be that I am left out of updates etc., but for now, the functionality fully covers my needs.

Hope this helps. Have great start into 2022 everyone, Henry.

3 Likes

you can actually add the stuff to the tado app as well when using homekit, so you can still use its app through the cloud but homekit allows for a local connection to home assistant

Just chiming in here as people seem to have some experience with local tado:
Is there a service call to set the offset with this integration? I just found a service call for the cloud connection to do that under developer tools.

Did someone find a way to get battery statuses while using HomeKit-Controller without Tado server/cloud?

have you found a soloution to the battery status?

Unfortunately still not :confused: .

Unfortunately I am an Android user. Any ideas on how I could achieve the same result - local rather than internet?

Exactly as @Henry28 described, Home Assistant is the HomeKit-Controller in this case, Android or IOS doesn’t matter.

Thanks, I managed to pair everything. This is SSOOO cool!! Lots of other devices that require web services are now connected for local polling via Home-Kit.

However, I still cannot get to the heating levels of the Tado thermostats. The heating level is the degree to which the valve is open. I need the heating level because I have a circulating pump that gets turned on or off depending on whether there is sufficient heat load. I sum all the heating levels and if they are above a certain threshold I turn on the pump, and if the sum is below the threshold I turn off the pump. The issue is that using the Tado web integration, which is only updated every 10 min, the total heating level drops to 0, but, because of the 10 min update frequency, HA doesn’t detect this and keeps the pump on, causing cavitation.

This is what I see when I use the Tado integration.

This is what I see in the HomeKit integration for the same device. I don’t see all the other sensors, particularly Heating.

Just fyi these are exactly the same sensors I see from the tado thermostats in my HomeKit integration. I know this does not help, but just to confirm that there’s probalbly nothing “wrong” with your setup.

As for the other sensors, my understanding is that some of them are facilitated by tado cloud algorithms, hence will not be available in the local-only setup. Obviously that should not be the case for the heating level sensor you are looking for…

As far as I see. Only status (heating/off), temperature current, humidity and target temperature are pushed towards HomeKit which is pity. Till they push some more data we have to leave with only that.

I think you are correct @Henry28 .

I’m still trying to work out if in fact the sensors operate in local polling mode on HomeKit, or they are still on the 5 min webservice update of the Tado integration.

Can someone confirm this for me?

HomeKit

Update every 1 minute or 0.2 degrees
ScreenShot_20221209200306

Tado
ScreenShot_20221209200632
Tado
HomeKit and Tado
ScreenShot_20221209200826

2 Likes

The solution provided works perfect, thank you.
Did anyone one find a solution to se a offset for the valves? The service “climate.set_current_temperature” or “climate.set_offset” is missing and i don’t have an idea, how to implement the offset temperature or the temperature of another sensor in the room.

Nevermind, this post seems do deliver a working solution:

I am rebuilding my HA, and i have Tado, I am interested in moving Tado to the home kit controller to do away with the cloud requirements. Keeping track of battery levels is pretty key in our place as we have well over 100 batter devices from sensors etc. I see someone asking about battery levels. Is there any change on that? are the visible now?

No, if you use only homekit controller you will not have battery levels in HA. What I did is to create automation if Thermostat goes to target temp 5 C or it’s in heating state for more then 2 hours then I send notification that that thermostat is probably dead. I know it’s not what you want but they will not expose battery levels to Homkit as far as I read in Tado forum.

If you do not block Tado bridge from access to internet(Tado will send all the data to their cloud) then you will anyhow receive email about low batteries.

Thanks for the update. Yes thats pants they wont expose that. I dont really have any requirement to block the bridge and happy to leave it connected. But saying that i like all notifications to come from the same place.

Might have to think about this one some more. I mean the API does work but i want something more real time and if thats the trade off to not getting battery details…

I wonder if someone cleaver out there who knows how this works could use a script or something that does use the API to just pull the battery levels in to separate entities or helpers. At least that way the battery levels could be retrieved

What you can do is setup Tado official integration and also Homekit controller in HA. Then control thermostats via Homekit and through Tado official integration you will get battery levels on HA so you can use them in dashboards, automations.