TADO valves without using TADO server?

ADB DV2200 epicentro…router by local provider.

Looks like an ADSL router, possibly with different VLANS on each LAN port (shielded from eachother) for Internet, Phone/SIP and/or TV.

Maybe worthwhile connecting a PC or laptop to each individual LAN port of the router and wait for DHCP to assign an IP address and take note. Would not be surprised if each port assigns a different subnet…

Hi,

I’ve added my Tado devices through the Homekit integration but it just showed me my internet bridge and the smart thermostat. My valve thermostats were missing. I figured that I have to add

zeroconf:

to my configuration (don’t have default_config). For completeness: I already had

discovery:

added but it was not enough. See comment by Markus G. Thx!

Hi, i reinstall ha yesterday. In the previous installation all is ok. I pair tado bridge this morning, but no device was found (8 radiator valve). Do you know if there is some iussue to pairing in last version?

I also had to readd the Tado bridge, did the homekit reset and was able to add the bridge, but the valves are not added… After downgrading to 99.3 they appeared right away

I solve the problem opening bug on github. It s a zeroconf bug that will be solved in next release. If you want to add valves, just delete the homekit map file after pair the bridge and restart.

I want to get 4 of the Tado valves. Is it correct that they can be used with the Tado Bridge or with a Homekit bridge ? Which one should I get ?

You’ll have to pair your valves with the Tado bridge. This can then be paired with HAs Homekit bridge.

Hope that helps!

What do you mean by “just delete the homekit map file after pair the bridge and restart”?

As a developer this feels like a very silly question… where do I enter that? I’ve just started using Home Assistant and am running Hass.io on Docker.

I can’t for the life of me work out where that goes. Thanks!

In one room I have two valves and one room thermostat. I have connected both valves to the room thermostat in the app. But when it is setup like that I can no longer get the sensor value from the valves. Only the room thermostat exist as a device.

So my question is: if I set up tado with the HomeKit Controller in HA, will I get access to each radiator thermostats sensors, even if I keep them associated with the room in the tado app?

@danielsim: If still relevant: If you haven’t done already: Go to Supervise and install the file editor. then edit the configuration.yaml and add it there.
However, add a sensor: infront / the line before.

I’m now also one of many people having issues with this…
I have three room thermostats (RU*) and nothing is showing up after I added the bridge as homekit controller…
I tried:

• Waiting for 1h
  • Restarting
  • Factory resetting the bridge several times (using the button on the back for 10s)
  • I even tried manually re-pairing one of the thermostats

I have added discovery: (even if it’s not needed) and zeroconf: to my config. Also tried it without… Nothing shows up.

One thing I’m thinking is: My thermostats are weirdly setup and somehow that may have an effect.
Why are they “weirdly setup”? Because of two things:

1) When I installed/added them some time ago, I ran into a dead end every time where they tell me “We don’t have a manual for your thermostat, please email us with more info and photos”. Every time. Not that they would have a manual after the first one… But fine, different topic…
However, the thermostat then shows up as “unfinished installation” in your app/account and you can’t do anything with it. But then, when tado sends you the manual, they activate it and add it to your account.
And why I still think it is “weirdly setup”: Because I can’t remove it myself from my account: The option is just missing. I need to email them and ask to remove it… This feels like weirdly connected to my account.

2) Even after resetting the bridge multiple times, the devices are not removed from my app and app says still "All good/fine and I can use the “test blink” thing and it works!? Shouldn’t the bridge have lost connection to all thermostats and I would need to re-add them? They just still work. Wtf!?

So I’m guessing that has something to do with it…

Did somebody of you (who got it working) also go through that custom manual procedure?
And is it correct that after resetting the bridge, the devices are still in the app fine and working!?

Thanks and greetings,

Andy!

@ezcGman - just to be clear, you have successfully paired homekit_controller with your Tado bridge but none of your thermostats are showing up? But at the same time if you use the official device all the thermostats are there?

(I’m homekit_controller maintainer, i have 0 experience with tado just checking whether its a device setup issue of a homekit_controller bug).

Correct: I’ve went to integrations, clicked the ‘+’ in the bottom right, clicked on “HomeKit Controller”, it found the tado bridge (next to some Yeelight devices, interestingly), I selected it, entered the pairing code, done.
It shows up in integrations now but the bridge itself is the only device it lists there when I click on it. Thermostats do not show up: Not after 30m, not after a day, not after two, not after restarting HA :wink:

And yes: If I open the tado app on my phone, they are all still there and work fine.

I could also just remove the tado bridge as home controller, restart HA and use the official tado integration again: Entered my my.tado.com credentials and all thermostats are still there and also work fine with the integration.

So I think I’m either to stupid to reset the bridge, or my thermostats are really, really weirdly setup by the tado staff. It kinda feels like the thermostats skip the bridge and have their own wifi connection, but they don’t, I know :wink: It just feels like it :slight_smile:

Are you able to send me your .storage/homekit_controller-entity-map file? The .storage folder should be in the same folder as your configuration.yml.

If tado is the only thing you are using homekit_controller for then take a backup of the file, delete it, restart HA and see if the thermostats appear. It could be caching an old state. It is supposed to announce changes to us though.

Deleting that file is a good idea. Currently it was just had an empty mapping list. I deleted the file, removed the tado integration again, added the bridge has homekit controller again and now waiting again :slight_smile:
If they don’t show up, I can send you the file :slight_smile:

Thx!

Right now, it just looks like this:

{
    "data": {
        "pairings": {
            "17:23:cd:96:8d:21": {
                "accessories": [
                    {
                        "aid": 1,
                        "services": [
                            {
                                "characteristics": [
                                    {
                                        "format": "string",
                                        "iid": 2,
                                        "perms": [
                                            "pr"
                                        ],
                                        "type": "00000023-0000-1000-8000-0026BB765291",
                                        "value": "tado Internet Bridge IB4250274816"
                                    },
                                    {
                                        "iid": 3,
                                            "pr"
                                        ],
                                        "type": "00000020-0000-1000-8000-0026BB765291",
                                        "value": "tado"
                                    },
                                    {
                                        "iid": 4,
                                            "pr"
                                        ],
                                        "type": "00000030-0000-1000-8000-0026BB765291",
                                        "value": "IB4250274816"
                                    },
                                    {
                                        "iid": 5,
                                            "pr"
                                        ],
                                        "type": "00000021-0000-1000-8000-0026BB765291",
                                        "value": "IB01"
                                    },
                                    {
                                        "iid": 6,
                                            "pr"
                                        ],
                                        "type": "00000052-0000-1000-8000-0026BB765291",
                                        "value": "60.6"
                                    },
                                    {
                                        "format": "bool",
                                        "iid": 7,
                                            "pw"
                                        ],
                                        "type": "00000014-0000-1000-8000-0026BB765291"
                                    }
                                ],
                                "hidden": false,
                                "iid": 1,
                                "primary": false,
                                "stype": "accessory-information",
                                "type": "0000003E-0000-1000-8000-0026BB765291"
                            },
                            {
                                "characteristics": [
                                    {
                                        "iid": 9,
                                            "pw"
                                        ],
                                        "type": "E44673A0-247B-4360-8A76-DB9DA69C0101"
                                    }
                                ],
                                "hidden": true,
                                "iid": 8,
                                "primary": false,
                                "stype": "Unknown Service: E44673A0-247B-4360-8A76-DB9DA69C0100",
                                "type": "E44673A0-247B-4360-8A76-DB9DA69C0100"
                            }
                        ]
                    }
                ],
                "config_num": 0
            }
        }
    },
    "key": "homekit_controller-entity-map",
    "version": 1
}

If the tado was not paired to homekit_controller then deleting that file would have had no effect. The file is cleared when you unpair. So it makes sense that it contained an empty map.

That file contains a fairly low level view of what devices your internet bridge thinks are attached to your Tado bridge / account - it doesn’t get “filtered” on the HA side so the services and characteristics are the only ones the bridge is sharing with us. If they aren’t there then at the point the file was created the internet bridge didn’t know about them. (This is how we diagnose the difference between a problem on a device and a problem understand the specific protocol that the device is talking).

The config_num field is how we track when the file is stale. It is incremented by the Tado bridge over zeroconf when new accessories are added or removed. If the number doesn’t match what is in the file, a new file is requested. Deleting the file is just purely to make sure that process hasn’t failed. Feel free to repeat it later in the day - but do not unpair and repair, just delete the file then restart the HA service.

The only scenario i’ve seen like this is where a user was trying to get an unsupported device to show via homekit. For example, i think hot water devices can’t be mapped to HomeKit, but TRV’s can (normally). Getting a list of models and firmware versions might be helpful to diagnose this.

Have you been able to get this to work with “real” HomeKit? (i.e. iPhone or iOS).

I finally managed to get at least two out of my three thermostats to show up. What I did:

• Deleted the integration, restarted HA
  • Deleted the .storage/homekit_controller-entity-map file
  • Reset the tado bridge, restarted HA
  • Added the tado bridge as HomeKit controller
  • Deleted the .storage/homekit_controller-entity-map file, restarted HA
    => When HA came back, the tado bridge instantly had two out of the three devices.

I bet, I restarted HA way too much, I know. But the core thing that did the trick for me is deleting the entity map file after I paired the bridge with and restarted HA. Waiting without deleting didn’t do anything.

Still, one thermostat is not showing up. This is an older model (RU01), while the other two are RU02. Bur according to that page, they should work: Are my tado° products compatible with Apple HomeKit? | Help Center

I will ask their support if there are any known HomeKit limitations for this model.

Have you been able to get this to work with “real” HomeKit? (i.e. iPhone or iOS).

No, I don’t own a single Apple device :slight_smile:

Will have to leave the RU01 to tado. If it’s not visible to the HomeKit API there’s nothing I can do.

It looks like you are hitting multiple problems though. I would say that deleting that file isn’t what fixed it, at least in full. I suspect that there is a delay for these devices appearing in HomeKit and we don’t understand what causes the delay or if there is a way to speed it up. And that sometimes they don’t appear at all (as is the case with the RU01).

When the do become available to HA there is then a secondary problem. tado is supposed to announce via its zeroconf data a c# number. That is supposed to increment, and that is supposed to make HA rebuild its cache. That process did not happen for you. At the moment we don’t know if:

• The tado didn’t do that
  • Something about your network setup prevented HA from seeing that notification
  • HA got the notification but didn’t process it

I’ll probably add a check at startup and/or a service to rebuild the cache to avoid having to delete the file.