TADO valves without using TADO server?

I’m not sure if i should make a new post … but first i ask here.
So after some hrs the tado thermostats stopped working and when i try to change the temperature or when hass tries to pull the data i get this error.

2019-09-28 18:07:46 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: Task exception was never retrieved
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/homekit_controller/connection.py", line 273, in async_update
    self.pollable_characteristics
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/homekit_controller/connection.py", line 303, in get_characteristics
    self.pairing.get_characteristics, *args, **kwargs
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 57, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homekit/controller/ip_implementation.py", line 172, in get_characteristics
    self.session = IpSession(self.pairing_data)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homekit/controller/ip_implementation.py", line 441, in __init__
    c2a_key, a2c_key = get_session_keys(conn, pairing_data, write_fun)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homekit/protocol/__init__.py", line 311, in get_session_keys
    response_tlv = write_fun(request_tlv, step2_expectations)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/site-packages/homekit/protocol/__init__.py", line 80, in write_http
    resp = connection.getresponse()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/http/client.py", line 1336, in getresponse
    response.begin()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/http/client.py", line 306, in begin
    version, status, reason = self._read_status()
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/http/client.py", line 267, in _read_status
    line = str(self.fp.readline(_MAXLINE + 1), "iso-8859-1")
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.7/socket.py", line 589, in readinto
    return self._sock.recv_into(b)
ConnectionResetError: [Errno 104] Connection reset by peer

Sadly this doesn’t work for me, I was able to pair the bridge with the homekit controller integration but the only visible device is the tado bridge itself.

All other thermostats (1x smart thermostat, 3x radiator thermostats) won’t show up.
I’ve tried resetting the bridge a few times, tried repairing the thermostats while bridge was paired, restarts, deleting all old tado integration entities, nothing seems to work.
Any suggestions what else I could try?

Does your tado bridge have internet connectivity?

Yes, without any restrictions applied.
After setting the logger to debug the whole pairing process is captured but there’s no warning or error logged, everything seems to be fine.

Can you share a screenshot from the tado app / settings / devices?

Sure:

Have you tried manually adding a new Homekit Accessory under Integrations (using the red + button lower right corner)?

That’s the way I’ve added the internet bridge, manually under Integrations.
Sadly I don’t have any other homebridge compatible device to test if this is an isolated problem with the tado equipment.

Maybe toggle the “enable new entities” switch?

Also tried this, it was enabled by default, toggling changed nothing.
I’ll try to capture a somewhat clean pairing log.

What kind of setup are you running?
For me it’s:
RaspberryPi 3B+, HassOS 3.5, Hass.io 189 and Homeassistant 0.99.3
On the Tado side the bride and all thermostats are from V3+ kits.

Any other suggestions on how to try Homkit devices?
I don’t own any apple products and never played around with Homekit.

This is weird indeed. Assume you have restarted HA since adding the tado bridge?

Multiple times, also tried restarting the whole host.
Resetted the tado bridge homekit configuration a few times, readded it in HomeAssistant, let it settle in for a few hours to days, no change, still only the bridge is detected.

Maybe these guys can help…

Did you enable discovery in confiuration.yaml?

discovery:

Yes I tried that too but the only difference was instead of manually adding the bridge HomeAssistant informed me about the newly discovered device.

Out of the blue it worked today, I upgraded HomeAssistant to the 0.100b0 beta release and now all thermostats show up correctly.

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Glad I could help. Was it the discovery thingy that needed enabling?

Last thing I tried actively was adding:

zeroconf:

in the configuration.yaml, “discovery:” is always enabled anyways in my config.
After updating to beta HA finally all thermostats showed up.

Judging from core.config_entries file it may be actually related to the “zeroconf:” change:

{
                "connection_class": "local_poll",
                "data": {...}
                "domain": "homekit_controller",
                "entry_id": "...",
                "options": {},
                "source": "zeroconf",
                "system_options": {
                    "disable_new_entities": false
                },
                "title": "Wohnzimmer-Tado-Bridge",
                "version": 1
            },
1 Like

Today I’ve successfully added my Tado internet bridge and smart radiator thermostats to HA with Homekit controller, but the the wall mounted smart thermostat not showing up. I’ve tried to repair it, restarted HA, restarted host without success. Could you help me please how to add this single smart thermostat to HA without the Tado component (only with homekit controller)? Thank you for your help.

If the smart thermostat shows up in your tado app and/or on my.tado.com account and your configuration.yaml contains

discovery:

it should all work.

It was a hard way but finally succeeded. Don’t ask me how because I have no clue. Now I’m having other problem. Regardless if I set all thermostats to 25 degree Celsius the boiler does not start. Mentioning that the extension kit is not showing up in HA. The extension kit has to be integrated too in HA?