TADO valves without using TADO server?

Haven’t read all the comments, but after adding the bridge to HA, it can take up to 30 minutes before the radiators will show up! This is the normal behavior and it does the same thing with actual Homekit.

Never heard of any extension kit. Can you be more specific (screen shot of the error notification is always helpful).

Could be though that the main thermostat (the square one not the radiator thermostat) is not set-up correctly and does not communicate properly with your boiler, but that’s not a HA issue.

I’d recommend you first get your system working via the app / my.tado.com, following Tado’s set-up instructions and then start worrying about HA.

I have a question about using TADO radiator valves with HA as well.

I have successfully set them up, and I now see 5 thermostat cards. I do not entirely understand what I am seeing however. Status is indicated as “off(heating)”. What does that mean?

I seem to be able to set a target temperature, and when I do that the valve switches to manual. So that is good.

I assume that by “off(heating)” you mean that hvac_modes under HA States is showing “off,heat”, or are you referring to hvac_action, which has two possible states: off or heating?

In any case “off” under hvac_modes means that the thermostat is off, as in not actively managing temperatures (although it remains online and can be switched on via app or HA).

“Off” under hvac_action means that the current temperature as measured by the thermostat is above the target / set temperature, ie. no heat demand.

Whenever HA is in control of your thermostats, their state in the TADO app will show up as “manual”. This is the correct / intended behavior.

“off(heating)” is literally what is shown on the top right of the thermostat card.
I was looking through the wiki for an explanation of what all the different UI elements do in that card, but did not find it. Hence I asked.

At the bottom there is a coloured flame icon, and when I click that it goes grey, and the thermostat goes in “frost protection” mode. Next to it there is a greyed out on/off button that does not react to clicks. I can set a temperature and this is communicated to the thermostat, so that is good. But I do not see any state change to “on” in that case. The thermostat is just set to manual, with the correct temperature.

So basically in my case that “on/off” button an state is without purpose?

Hi
I have several Tado valves but I think that the temperature sensor in the valve itself is not to precise because of the proximity to the radiator. ( it read an higher temperature Than the real one ). Is possible in HA to make the valves use a different sensor to control the radiator?

They aren’t very good no as you are right they are too close to the radiators which tend to get very hot. You can however, set an offset within the tado app.

You are right (and not alone: https://community.tado.com/en-gb/discussion/459/launch-an-external-temperature-sensor-for-the-smart-radiator-thermostats).

The tado system allows for the temp in a particular room to be controlled by a smart thermostat instead of a smart radiator knob. This is by far the easiest and most expensive option as you would have to add a smart thermostat (~ 120 euro in NL) to every room. I have this setup in my livingroom and master bed. You just tell HA to control the smart thermostat and the tado logic will adjust the smart knobs to regulate room temp as measured at the smart thermostat, ignoring measured temp at the knob.

A cheaper, more cumbersome way is to install separate temp sensors in each room (like the https://www.home-assistant.io/integrations/mitemp_bt/ available for 10-25 euro depending where you buy) and control the temperature in that room via HA’s generic thermostat. Problem is that the generic thermostat can only deal with an on/off switch as a heating device, so you would have to create an HA template switch for that particular tado smart knob. Like I said, rather cumbersome but not undoable…

1 Like

Hi @flyingpenguin. A quick Q. I’m about to get a Tado system with the house I’m buying, I’ve been asked whether I want it else the seller will take it with them. I’m all for HA but my wife, not so much, having read the thread I’m a little unclear, can you still use the Tado system via the app as well as by HA? I’m just thinking about the wife acceptance factor until I get my HA system back up and integrated in its new surroundings.

Yes, the app will work just fine, the HA integration just uses the API the Tado website is using (i.e. it acts as if you were changing the thermostat using the Tado website).

Good to know which one is installed:

Tado V2 = free geofencing etc
Tado V3+ = monthly fee of 3 euro or so for ‘advanced features’ such as geofencing

If the previous owner is not asking any money to leave it behind I would certainly take it and would go so far as to pay full sticker for all components if asked…

So a resounding yes on both managing the system via the app as well as HA.

Good luck.

Many thanks to you and @Skye. I appreciate your replies and confidence in the product! I will look into the kit he’s got and move forward.

Hi Guy, why my Hassio don’t detect my new tado (v3+) internet bridge?
I put:
discovery:
enable:
- homekit
I put also:
zeroconf:
restart server very time, but nothing Cassio don’t detect the bridge.
What’s wrong in my procedure?

1 Like

@cicerone73 Discovery is deprecated (unless you have an old version of HA), zeroconf shouldn’t be needed in the config as long as you have this line in your configuration.yaml

default_config:

The tado bridge is required (I hope you have one) and it will not be entirely auto discovered. The reason for this is because there is an integration for it that uses the unofficial tado api. Though I will always advise you to set it up through the Homekit controller (as that eliminates the need for tado cloud).

To do this, make sure you delete those lines you have added. You don’t need Homekit as the controller has little to do with the Homekit component (so those lines will do nothing for you). Once you have removed the lines restart HA.

Once back up go to configuration>integrations and press the orange + button at the bottom right. Now scroll to Homekit Accessory and add it. You should now see a dropdown menu showing the available accessories (if you have a tradfri HUB for example this will also show up there). Now choose the tado internet bridge, pair it and wait, it can take up to 30 minutes before the entities will show up in HA as that is the normal behavior in Homekit as well.

I hope this helps!

@jimz011 thanks for your support. I have tried also to use only
default_config:
and restart HA, I have tried to make manual discovery by Homekit Accessory after 2 hours but HA don’t found homekit available component. I have got tado bridge and I don’t pair it with Apple homekit. I have used only android app to pair termostat and valve. The bridge is in the same LAN of HA.
Actualy I have HA 105.5 and Hassos 3.5.

Hm, did you try the reset Homekit button on your tado bridge? It is one of those 2 buttons and you will need to hold it for 10 seconds (lights will flash 5 times).

1 Like

Nothing. I try to reset the bridge every time with special button. Is it possible to see some log file o debug to understand why HA don’t see TADO bridge? Homekit accessory after 5 second: “Unpaired devices could not be found”.

Very strange…today while I’ve added sonoff switch to HA, Tado bridge appear to HA for small time. So I think that the configuration is correct, perhaps there are some problems in the network?

I don’t know why, but I solve the problem by change the ports ethernet of Hassio and tado. If I put both on the ethernet ports of the router the discovery don’t work, but if I put both on the ethernet ports of switch in the same network the discovery work very well.

What is the make and model of your router?