Tapo P110M Energy Monitoring

Thanks @mgguinne ! So currently the only option for getting energy consumption is via TP-link cloud integration, not locally ?

If so, I think I will wait until Tp-link enables local energy consumption via Matter locally (hoepfuly with a future firmware update?)

I have a Meross mini smart plug that’s supports matter and energy monitoring here in the UK so watching this thread with interest.
My 30 or so ZigBee plugs drop off occasionally even with 2 extra routers and a relatively clear channel so I’m really hoping matter solves this.
Matter seems to be moving but slower than ideal.

Yep, that’s correct, @trimethia; I would get them when they go on sale via amazon (I got mine for about $20 each). I am fairly sure the firmware upgrade will come. Though I know the rule of not buying something awaiting a feature to come IN THE FUTURE!!!

https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B0CN2SWP7C

Setup a price watch via:
https://au.camelcamelcamel.com/product/B0CN2SWP7C

Here is a screen of mine

CleanShot 2024-09-04 at 08.26.16

Also as per this post above from @TexTown , the best place to know when this is released is to follow their firmware updates page.

mgguinne perfectly answered your question :smiley:

For all those commenting about asking for matter energy monitoring support, note that it’s not actually home assistant blocking this but tp-link, they need to update the firmware.

I would suggest chiming in on this forum post here: Tapo P110M update for Matter 1.3 - TP-Link Community

Tp-link have responded but haven’t been very committal. I’d suggest bumping the forum post!

2 Likes

I voted for the feature, I think as many people as possible should vote this feature up too!

2 Likes

@mgguinne You don’t need the TP-link cloud to get the energy consumption.
You can get all sensors and controls locally over HTTP.

Seems like the credentials get set on the device, the first time you added it to the TP-Link cloud. I provisioned the Wi-Fi credentials via the Matter setup, never even installed the TP-Link app or created an account.

I’m using a P110M locally via Matter and the TP-Link integration. The device is blocked by firewall from the internet. I did unblock it once, did an update (to v1.2.3) and enabled the block again, without issue.

A (possible) issue is, that the device runs without any authentication or encryption.

Hi there and hi @MrEbbinghaus

I‘m also looking for a plug that can do energy monitoring and handle 16A.
So the P110M seems to me next to to the Meross plugs the best choice atm.
What I don’t like with meross is, that there is no official integration in Home Assistant (which is not such a big deal).
So I would like to go with tp link.

As far as I understood I can indeed use the energy monitoring in HA. The way to do it is:

1. get the device via matter in HomeKit (so then the device also connects to wlan)
  2. install tp link integration
  3. find the device there - I guess via IP or something?
  4. enjoy

If that works i have two more questions

1. Can i then change the VLAN and IP of the device?
  2. Can i delete the device from homekit and keep it in HA?

Thank you.

@fox-on-tour Yes, you only have to get the plug into your Wi-Fi. The TP-Link integration should be able to find the plug automatically.

To get it into the Wi-Fi you can provision it via matter like I said above or use python-kasa (see Command-line usage — python-kasa documentation) (which should also work with the non-matter variants of this plug or in situations where matter doesn’t work in your network.)

Addressing your questions:

1. You should be able to delete the device from HomeKit afterwards. I just proposed this solution, because it is more user-friendly than using python-kasa.

2. The plug gets its ip4 via DHCP, so IP and VLAN are configured in your router. I don’t know if you can configure a static IP on the device itself.
    It also uses its mac address to get a link-local ipv6 address via SLAAC, if this is a concern for you.

1 Like

Thank you so much for the details - this helps a lot. Looking forward to geht my first plug.