Tapo P110M Energy Monitoring

I’ve updated to HA 2024.6, which includes the Matter 1.3 specs.
My first and single Matter device, the Tapo P110M plug with energy monitoring still only shows 1 entity: the switch to turn it on and off.

What needs to be updated or done to get energy monitoring in HA working for this device? A firmware update from TP-Link? Or specific matter change in HA? Re-add it to HA?

While we udpated the SDK to what should be capable of supporting all Matter v1.3, we have not added all the new device types just yet. So you need a bit more patients to get those.

Most likely it will be available with the next release of Home Assistant Core though.

2 Likes

Also, I am assuming that now the matter specification has been updated, TP-Link is going to need to create a firmware update for it? I can’t seem to find any public tp-link documentation on their firmware update changes.

If they released before 1.3 spec, then yes, they’ll need to provide a firmware upgrade.

Matter has a mechanism to distribute firmware update, and update information through their DCL. When you know the device vendor and product id you can look up if a firmware update is available there. You can find this information in the diagnostics (under 0/40/2 and 0/40/4).

Great information, thanks for that. I’ve found the device in the DCL

"0/40/0": 1,
    "0/40/1": "Tapo",
    "0/40/2": 5010,
    "0/40/3": "Smart Wi-Fi Plug",
    "0/40/4": 262,
    "0/40/5": "",

In here, the firmware is listed as 1.0.0 while the actual device is currently already running firmware version 1.1.0 Build 231009 Rel. 155719 (I updated this months ago using the Tapo app)
I now also understand why the HA Matter server reports 1.0.0 as FW version (using DCL)

So I guess we’ll have to wait for a TP-Link/Tapo update, preferably published through the DCL.

Hi @TexTown ,

Might I ask how could you add the Tapo P110M to Home Assistant? Via Matter?

I tried to commission the Tapo to Home Assistant but the Matter Server Addon keep rebooting after giving an error ( Verify or Die…)

I use the same stuff like yours( HA 2024.6 and the Tapo P110M version 1.1.0 Build 231009 Rel. 155719).

Yes, I used HA (mobile app) to add the device. But that was long ago, many versions before the current version. It worked without issues

1 Like

Can you share the logs when this is happening?

1 Like

I tried to commission it again to get the log for you. Out of nowhere, it worked. The Matter Server Add-on version is 6.1.2, the Home Assistant Core version is: 2024.6.3

Hmm, I guess problem is at the Tapo itself. I haven’t updated anything.

Anyway, thanks for your attempt to help!

New firmware for the Tapo P110M is out, unfortunately it doesn’t mention any Matter or energy monitoring improvements in the release notes.
I’ve updated the device throug the Tapo app to version V1_1.2.3 Build 240617. Nothing changed in HA, still only the switch entity…

The Matter 1.3 Energy Management clusters are not yet supported in Home Assistant, so it could be just that.

You can check if the device exposes the Energy Management cluster by Browsing the device in the Matter Server add-on Web UI. Check the Endpoint 1. If there are only OnOff/Descriptor and a couple other non-energy measurement named clusters, then the firmware does not support the new Energy Management clusters.

1 Like

Here’s a screenshot of the exposed clusters. One is called Custom/Unknown but nothing with Energy Measurement in its name.
I’ll keep an eye on PR’s for the Matter Add-on to find out if and when Energy management gets merged. Thank you!

If it helps to send more info about the device, let me know.

1 Like

@TexTown Please let us know when it’s working properly. I want to buy a few of them also to replace the old HS110 model (which must be reset every once in a while because they got offline).

So looking at the new matter specifications, the two new respective clusters are 0x0090 for “Electrical Power Measurement” and 0x0091 for “Electrical Energy Measurement”, neither are available when seen in the Matter Web UI for a device updated to 1.2.3, even after re-interviewing.

Just a bump mail to add my voice to hoping the energy monitoring gets added. Here in AU there are very few legally certified smart plug (with monitoring) options, and none that operate locally AFAIK.
The tapo is from a known brand, has a 2-year warranty suggesting it might be better built than others that last only weeks or months, is RCM approved, is of a form factor that does not block adjacent plugs, has the manual button on top where it is accessible, and in matter form should be completely local.

I recently got a non-matter P110 to replace one of many failed Arlec units but I don’t like having to use the Tapo web service for them to work. Hence I’d prefer the P110M’s, but do not want to go buying a few until we know the power monitoring is going to work.

Am in same boat as you. That said, there seems to be a new Ikea smart plug with energy monitoring coming out in October. Don’t know much more than that though.

The power monitoring works locally via the TP-link integration. (It actually provides a lot more features over it’s proprietary API than Matter.)

But be assured, once the P110m get’s an update to improve their minimal Matter support, I probably personally implement that feature in HA. :slight_smile:.

2 Likes

Same issue in Japan, the only other plug I can use locally are the ones from SwitchBot. I got 6 of them reboot randomly before being stuck in a boot loop after 1 or 2 days. I am glad some of them are under warranty but 6 plugs failing?!

I bought the Tapo P110M to start to replace them. Matter configuration failed, factory reset and tried again and it work. As mentioned above, no update detected and no energy monitoring yet.
Started the Tapo app which detected the plug, Hone assistant detected the plug too as a Tapo one and I can use energy monitoring from there.