Tasmota MQTT IRHVAC Controller

Ah. No worries.

These configurations turned out to be adequate:

I compiled v12.0.1 and everything works great. Well except for this known intermittent issue.

Hello there,
I have made another unit to control another A/C. I have had several problems with the IR receiver as it doesn’t seem to be able to work beyond tasmota 9.5.

In tasmota 8.1 everything is fine, the DHT11 and the BMP280 are detected and the Ir signals are decoded an recognized. Other versions of Tasmota don’t detect the DHT11, only the last one detects the BMP280, but none handles the ir received as 8.1 (9.5 works fine with the ir, but no sensors detected)

The question I have is related to the garbage received through the Ir receiver, I mean this:

11:54:37.547 MQT: tele/tasmota_D05166/RESULT = {"IrReceived":{"Protocol":"UNKNOWN","Bits":3,"Hash":"0x4CB0FADF","Repeat":0}}
11:54:38.649 MQT: tele/tasmota_D05166/RESULT = {"IrReceived":{"Protocol":"UNKNOWN","Bits":6,"Hash":"0x830719A7","Repeat":0}}
11:54:39.603 MQT: tele/tasmota_D05166/RESULT = {"IrReceived":{"Protocol":"UNKNOWN","Bits":4,"Hash":"0xDDE32E9C","Repeat":0}}
11:54:41.456 MQT: tele/tasmota_D05166/RESULT = {"IrReceived":{"Protocol":"UNKNOWN","Bits":6,"Hash":"0x39D46BF8","Repeat":0}}
11:54:44.408 MQT: tele/tasmota_D05166/RESULT = {"IrReceived":{"Protocol":"UNKNOWN","Bits":5,"Hash":"0x75D18CF7","Repeat":0}}
11:54:48.621 MQT: tele/tasmota_D05166/RESULT = {"IrReceived":{"Protocol":"UNKNOWN","Bits":4,"Hash":"0xF3EAEB56","Repeat":0}}
11:54:49.422 MQT: tele/tasmota_D05166/RESULT = {"IrReceived":{"Protocol":"UNKNOWN","Bits":3,"Hash":"0xFCABFFBE","Repeat":0}}
11:54:50.925 MQT: tele/tasmota_D05166/RESULT = {"IrReceived":{"Protocol":"UNKNOWN","Bits":7,"Hash":"0xF510B603","Repeat":0}}
11:54:52.727 MQT: tele/tasmota_D05166/RESULT = {"IrReceived":{"Protocol":"UNKNOWN","Bits":8,"Hash":"0x86A592B2","Repeat":0}}
11:54:57.881 MQT: tele/tasmota_D05166/RESULT = {"IrReceived":{"Protocol":"UNKNOWN","Bits":6,"Hash":"0x51193D0E","Repeat":0}}
11:54:59.332 MQT: tele/tasmota_D05166/RESULT = {"IrReceived":{"Protocol":"UNKNOWN","Bits":9,"Hash":"0x709CC782","Repeat":0}}
11:55:01.138 MQT: tele/tasmota_D05166/RESULT = {"IrReceived":{"Protocol":"UNKNOWN","Bits":10,"Hash":"0xDE28F953","Repeat":0}}
11:55:02.541 MQT: tele/tasmota_D05166/RESULT = {"IrReceived":{"Protocol":"UNKNOWN","Bits":5,"Hash":"0x16CE2840","Repeat":0}}
11:55:11.355 MQT: tele/tasmota_D05166/RESULT = {"IrReceived":{"Protocol":"UNKNOWN","Bits":7,"Hash":"0xC609098F","Repeat":0}

In both units, since they started, there is those ir unknown received, every single fake ir detected sends a unnecessary mqtt message.
I have tried to place a 1K resistor in the input of the data but still the same.
Any suggestion to mitigate this?
Could be a rule done to ignore the unknowns be sent to the mqtt broker?
Thanks for this beautiful component, best regards

Does anybody have an idea how to troubleshoot the actual hardware setup? I followed @gh0s7 's instructions and managed install tasmota-ir 9.1.0 on a nodemcu and to setup an entity in HA. When using the AC’s original remote the IR receiver decodes the signals correctly (verified both in tasmota’s console and the state changes in HA), however my IR LED doesn’t emit any signals. It maybe the dupont wires I’m using as a temporary setup or some mistake in the wiring itself, but I’m not sure where to start. I even tried swapping my IR LED with a green one to see if it will light when I change the state from HA, but it stays off all the time.

@ddppddpp give some pictures of the hardware and the connections. :slight_smile:

Receiver mostly works (apart from the UNKNOWN spam that seams to plague the discussion participants).
For the transmitter, I’ve tired connecting to 5V and 3.3V, I’ve reversed polarity, I’ve verified transistor connections.
I’ve played with LED directions and distances.
Every time I change a setting from the HA dashboard, I get the ‘stat/devicename/RESUlT’ entry in the Tasmota console and a very weak flickr on the red LED on the receiver module. Using the AC remote results in a very bright flickr and a ‘tele/devicename/RESULT’ entry.

@ddppddpp everything looks ok … The only thing, that I cannot check is the transistor connection, model and type …

I turned out more trivial than that… this was not an IR LED, it was a ‘clear’ LED… duh.
Solved, working like a charm :beer:

1 Like

Hi, I’ve tested this with automatethings’ irblaster and so far it works great.
Just a few questions :

• With the newest HA, multiple fan swings still not supported?
  • What’s the recommended power sensor for detecting true ON/ OFF state? Would something like sonoff s31/s31 lite work? Kinda worried cause AC has higher power consumption compared to other home appliances.

Just want to share that I’ve managed to hide a small maker’s box with a NodeMCU inside the body of my HVAC, dropping the IR transmitter and receiver in the same area where the HVAC’s original IR receiver sits. That way I can send commands via the original remote control unit, via the Home Assistant integration and also score pretty high on the WAF :smiley:
Once again, thank you @gh0s7 for the great documentation and all the help!

1 Like

I am an happy user of this integration
I have only one problem (maybe I’m doing somethig wrong)
I am controlling 2 AC
When I send the mqtt topic to start the AC, it works fine, but the thermostat cards do not update their status

Is it normal? What shall I do?

Thank you

If you don’t have IR receiver attached to the board and configured it is normal. The card updates if you use the card or if you have IR receiver, that catches the signals from the controller itself and the original remote controller. Fo if you don’t have IR receiver it is normal.

@cemara It depends from the maximum power consumption of the AC, also it depends from the voltage 110V or 220V. In my country we use 220V and my AC maximum power consumption it sais 1.5kW wich is 7A. I see that Sonoff s31 is up to 1800W on 120V 15A …
You have to see whats the maximum input current or power of your AC (it should be listed on the inner body of the AC). Tell us the max input power, max input current or max consumption of you AC, also your outlet voltage and we can reccomend you some of the brands and models. For the first question - yes, still no separate dropdowns for Horisontal Swing and Vertical Swing.

Thanks, I ended up getting athom since it’s preflashed, and it supports 220v,
regarding s31, I have the same issue my country is using 220v,
but the thing is,
in itead’s website they said it doesn’t support 220v,
but I asked s31 seller in aliexpress he said the S31 description supports 90v-250v,
I hope someone could clarify this… would rather get sonoff tbh.

@cemara I think if you’re not using multisplit AC, 16Amps would be enough. 16A @ 220V are 3.50kW. Most of the AC are usin less power, but in AliExpress I see there are even 20A sockets/plugs (4.4kW). But you better check your AC power needs befor buying anything …

@cemara as for the vertical and horisontal swing… @nao-pon is currently implementing services that allows setting SwingH and SwingV. The only down side using service calls is that it won’t show in dropdown in More Info in the card. It will be necessary to use it manually from servicess or create a script/automation and attach it to a button lets say, if you want it to be controllable via the UI. Or you can use it with input_select helper.

1 Like

I created a Blueprint to control a vertical or horizontal vane, so I’ll share it with you. Currently you need his Github version of Tasmota-IRHVAC.

First, create a dropdown helper containing the list of wind directions your AC supports.

A list of what this integration supports can be found in the Blueprint details.

2 Likes

Thank you
I use a BW RC1 to send and receive the IR signal
But when I send the mqtt command, somehow it does not update the card…

Sorry if It’s been mentioned, but I can’t find any way to make this work in conjuction with tasmota plugs like athom to detect (and importantly update) it real state on/off condition.
If there’s an infrared from other source and it’s somehow captured by the AC first I think it’s gonna cause the state to go out of sync

@gh0s7
Hi, can you have at look at my wiring connection?
I’m powering it via usb, so I’m using VU pin but i still can’t get transmitter working.
The receiver works just fine though

Hi, just to confirm
You’ve replaced the led with a proper IR transmitter since you had the wrong one installed before this on the breadboard?