Tasmota on HiHome WPP-16S1 smart plug

I have the HiHome WPP-16S1 smart plug. link

I am trying to flash tasmota firmware onto it and i’m trying to find the correct pads to connect my flasher to.
There are no obvious pads to solder TX/RX to and the plug is very difficult to open completely.

Here is a picture of the board.

I’we been unable to remove the PCB yet. I think i need to de-solder a few things before i can do that.

This is the chip on the board, the ESP8266EX
https://github.com/arendst/Tasmota/wiki/GPIO-Locations
UART0 is on pin 24 and 25, upper leftmost pins and UART1 is on pin 14 and 23
I’m unsure if i should use UART 0 or 1 for flashing, i have tried probing for the pins on the front side of the PCB but they seem to go to a via and maybe end up on the bottom of the PCB which i have no access to yet.
Any help would be appreciated

Hey, i just got one of these yesterday, and flashed it OTA with Tuya-Convert.

I used the template for the HiHome WPP-16S, and the only issue I’m seeing is my voltage being recorded incorrectly (~275V on a 230V power grid).

Remember to add the model type template:

Hi,
I flashed a couple of these plugs with Tuya-Convert, but unfortunately bricked one when I was updating the firmware. Took it out of the socket too early :frowning:
Do you maybe know a way to unbrick it, by using the soldering method and how this can be done? Any help is appreciated!

I have the same. But is this wrong voltage value not used to calculate other values?

I know this is an old topic. But you can set the right voltage value with an command:
https://tasmota.github.io/docs/Power-Monitoring-Calibration/

voltageset 230

1 Like

I have a number of these devices. One I was able to remove as there are screws holding the electronics unit to the plug pins. The other has soldered pins, so no way to ever remove it. On the underside of the picture, there are marked pads for the connection: 3.3V GND, TXD and TXD. they are unfortunately under the transformer a bit, but I used a screwdriver to pry it up a bit to get enough clearance and was able to reprogram serially. The one with the soldered pins, I have no idea how to connect. There are no connections on the top side other than the ESP8266 itself which is too fine for home soldering without breaking or melting the shell.

The new models cannot be converted anymore with tuya convert, so guess we are back at the start of this topic again :slight_smile:

Hi Kevin,
do you have any images on how you did do this ?
Thank you.
Ralph

Hi Ralph,
You mean for example the Hihome WPP-16R? I cannot find any info about this smart wifi plug.

Hi
Do you have a guide for flashing directly on the pins?

thanks
Kim

1 Like

Slight update here if anyone needs it for those plugs.
If you remove the screw you can put the plug in a wise and gently squeeze the pins through the housing. Press on both pins at the same time.
Then you can get access to the backside of the PCB, where you have the tx/rx pins. Then it is just a normal flash of the ESP using a FTDI adaptor.

Do you have pictures?

Sorry no, as they are now hidden behind stuff.
But remove the screw behind the sticker in the female end, so you open it up as shown in first post.
Then you can press the male pins through the housing and get access to the other side. Be aware of the wifi antenna ( the wire taped to the side.)

This is the underside when you push the circuitboard out.

1 Like

how to open the case of an wpp-16r? there is now sticker or screw.

thx in advance

WPP-16R