Templates in command line sensor + Octopus Energy API

Hello all,

Struggling at the moment to get a sensor working to read out my electricity and gas meter readings.
My provider uses an API which is documented here: https://developer.octopus.energy/docs/api/ - see the section about List Consumption for a meter.
A REST GET command will return a JSON with all of the half-hourly meter usage readings for the time interval stated in the parameters. The JSON looks like this:

{
    "count": 48,
    "next": null,
    "previous": null,
    "results": [
        {
            "consumption": 0.063,
            "interval_start": "2018-05-19T23:00:00Z",
            "interval_end": "2018-05-19T23:30:00Z"
        },
        {
            "consumption": 0.071,
            "interval_start": "2018-05-19T22:30:00Z",
            "interval_end": "2018-05-19T23:00:00Z"
        }
    ]
}

I can confirm the service works using both REST and the cURL formatting using a static URL, for example:

platform: command_line
name: electricity
value_template: '{{ value_json.count }}'
command: 'curl -H "Authorization: Basic XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" "https://api.octopus.energy/v1/electricity-meter-points/YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY/meters/18P5016779/consumption/?period_from=2019-01-31T00:00:00"'

Hereā€™s the problem: if you donā€™t state the period_from parameter the GET returns thousands of values. I want just the previous dayā€™s values, because from what I can see, the meter readings only update once a day around midnight - so I canā€™t get live readings, and the most recent readings I can get are for the 24 hours leading up to midnight the previous night.

It therefore makes sense that I use a GET request with a period_from parameter that dynamically changes to whatever yesterdayā€™s date was.

Just to keep things simple, I made

ā€¦because that should just return a value of 48 each time (48 half-hourly readings over a 24-hour period).

This worked absolutely fine with sensor.command_line and a URL without templating - I got the value 48 returned without issues.

From what I understand - the REST sensor doesnā€™t support templates in the URL, but the command line sensor does (or at least, is meant to).

At first, I tried this:

command: 'curl -H "Authorization: Basic XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" "https://api.octopus.energy/v1/electricity-meter-points/YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY/meters/18P5016779/consumption/?period_from={{ (as_timestamp(now()) - (24*3600)) | timestamp_custom("%Y-%m-%d", True) }}T00:00:00"'

ā€¦which didnā€™t work, presumably because I ran out of " and ā€™ to play with. So I made a separate sensor:

sensors:
  date_yesterday:
    friendly_name: Date Yesterday
    value_template: '{{ (as_timestamp(now()) - (24*3600)) | timestamp_custom("%Y-%m-%d", True) }}'

and then tried:

command: 'curl -H "Authorization: Basic XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" "https://api.octopus.energy/v1/electricity-meter-points/YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY/meters/18P5016779/consumption/?period_from={{ states.sensor.date_yesterday.state }}T00:00:00"'

This didnā€™t work either. I even tried making a separate sensor purely to generate the URL string:

electricity_url:
    friendly_name: Electricity URL
    value_template: 'curl -H "Authorization: Basic c2tfbGl2ZV9QbjhvYVBOZFNEMUxJV2I4dU8xS2NEZWc6" "https://api.octopus.energy/v1/electricity-meter-points/2200042780238/meters/18P5016779/consumption/?period_from={{ states.sensor.date_yesterday.state }}T00:00:00"'

ā€¦followed by:

platform: command_line
command: '{{ states.sensor.electricity_url.state }}'

This hasnā€™t worked either! I have checked the states of both sensor.electricity_url and sensor.date_yesterday and they both give the correct values.

The moment I revert back to using a URL without templating in the command line sensor - it works again.

Iā€™m stumped as to what to try next - it really does just seem like the problem is the inclusion of templating in the command line for the sensor. Does anyone have any insights into this or suggestions I could try?

Many thanks

Al

1 Like

I donā€™t really have a solution for you, and this might already be really obvious to you, but are you aware of the dev-template page in HA?

If you go to your URL with ā€œ/dev-templateā€ at the end, or click on the icon of a a sheet of paper (4th from the left) at the bottom of the left-hand-side toolbar under ā€œDeveloper toolsā€, itā€™s a template playground to test out templating.

For example I can see that:

value_template: '{{ (as_timestamp(now()) - (24*3600)) | timestamp_custom("%Y-%m-%d", True) }}'

Evaluates to:

value_template: '2019-01-31'

You can try and use this page to test out and refine those templates, if you werenā€™t already aware it exists.

BTW:
It looks like

command: 'curl -H "Authorization: Basic XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" "https://api.octopus.energy/v1/electricity-meter-points/YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY/meters/18P5016779/consumption/?period_from={{ (as_timestamp(now()) - (24*3600)) | timestamp_custom("%Y-%m-%d", True) }}T00:00:00"'

Evalues just fine to:

command: 'curl -H "Authorization: Basic XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" "https://api.octopus.energy/v1/electricity-meter-points/YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY/meters/18P5016779/consumption/?period_from=2019-01-31T00:00:00"'

Try this (which replaces the double-quote characters inside the template with escaped single-quote characters):

command: 'curl -H "Authorization: Basic XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX" "https://api.octopus.energy/v1/electricity-meter-points/YYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY/meters/18P5016779/consumption/?period_from={{ (as_timestamp(now()) - (24*3600)) | timestamp_custom(''%Y-%m-%d'', True) }}T00:00:00"'

FYI, in YAML, a string that is quoted with single-quote characters can contain a single-quote character by entering the single-quote character twice.

Just tried this but unfortunately doesnā€™t seem to work eitherā€¦

Can you expand on ā€œdoesnā€™t workā€? Are there any useful (INFO, WARNING or ERROR) messages in home-assistant.log, such as Running command: ..., or Command failed: ..., etc.? If so, what are they?

Hereā€™s another way, perform the date calculation in a shell script and pass the result to curl as a shell variable.

Create a shell script (get_data.sh) containing these two lines:

STARTDATE=`date -d yesterday +"%Y-%m-%dT00:00:00"`
curl -H "Authorization: Basic XXXXXX" "https://api.octopus.energy/v1/electricity-meter-points/YYYYYY/meters/18P5016779/consumption/?period_from=$STARTDATE"

Then call the shell script from the command_line sensor:

command: "get_data.sh"

NOTE:
In command, you might have to specify the path to the shell script.

It may be difficult to see but the date command is delimited by backquotes ( ` )

Oooh, I like that. Will try that now.

Iā€™ve been struggling to debug it @pnbruckner - the sensor shows up in my entities list but state is just ā€˜unknownā€™. Thereā€™s nothing relating to it in the logs on the Info screen and nothing in Hassio --> System Log. Iā€™ve set up Logger with:

logger:
  default: critical
  logs:
    homeassistant.components.sensor.electricity: debug

ā€¦but the only error Iā€™m getting in home-assistant.log is:

2019-02-01 20:14:55 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.config] Incomplete core configuration. Auto detected elevation: 0

Try changing:

homeassistant.components.sensor.electricity: debug

to:

homeassistant.components.sensor.template: debug

or even:

homeassistant.components.sensor: debug

Ok, changed to:

logger:
  default: critical
  logs:
    homeassistant.components.sensor.template: debug
    homeassistant.components.sensor.command_line: debug

So I put @123ā€™s script into the config folder and changed the sensor to:

- platform: command_line
    command: "/config/get_data.sh"

ā€¦but get this in the log:

2019-02-01 20:48:51 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.config] Incomplete core configuration. Auto detected elevation: 0
2019-02-01 20:49:25 INFO (SyncWorker_8) [homeassistant.components.sensor.command_line] Running command: /config/get_data.sh
2019-02-01 20:49:25 ERROR (SyncWorker_8) [homeassistant.components.sensor.command_line] Command failed: /config/get_data.sh
2019-02-01 20:50:27 INFO (SyncWorker_6) [homeassistant.components.sensor.command_line] Running command: /config/get_data.sh
2019-02-01 20:50:27 ERROR (SyncWorker_6) [homeassistant.components.sensor.command_line] Command failed: /config/get_data.sh

Reverting back to @123ā€™s syntax gives this in the log:

2019-02-01 20:55:59 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.config] Incomplete core configuration. Auto detected elevation: 0
2019-02-01 20:56:35 INFO (SyncWorker_3) [homeassistant.components.sensor.command_line] Running command: curl -H Authorization: Basic xxxxxxxxxxx https://api.octopus.energy/v1/electricity-meter-points/yyyyyyyy/meters/18P5016779/consumption/?period_from=2019-01-31T00:00:00
2019-02-01 20:57:38 INFO (SyncWorker_11) [homeassistant.components.sensor.command_line] Running command: curl -H Authorization: Basic xxxxxxxxxxx https://api.octopus.energy/v1/electricity-meter-points/yyyyyyyy/meters/18P5016779/consumption/?period_from=2019-01-31T00:00:00

This is just weird! The log above suggests that everything is parsing correctly, yet it doesnā€™t yield the same resultā€¦ Iā€™ll try again with the non-template version and see what the log spits out and compare it.

Ok, progress. When it works with the non-template URL, the log shows:

2019-02-01 21:06:37 INFO (SyncWorker_16) [homeassistant.components.sensor.command_line] Running command: curl -H "Authorization: Basic xxxxxxxxxxxx" "https://api.octopus.energy/v1/electricity-meter-points/yyyyyyyyyyyy/meters/18P5016779/consumption/?period_from=2019-01-31T00:00:00"
2019-02-01 21:07:40 INFO (SyncWorker_2) [homeassistant.components.sensor.command_line] Running command: curl -H "Authorization: Basic xxxxxxxxxxxx" "https://api.octopus.energy/v1/electricity-meter-points/yyyyyyyyyyyy/meters/18P5016779/consumption/?period_from=2019-01-31T00:00:00"

So it looks like when thereā€™s a template in there, it excludes the " from around the header and url, and therefore fails, but without the template, the " are preserved and it works

FIXED IT!

For anyone who has the same issue in future:

command: >-
      curl -H '"'Authorization: Basic xxxxxxxxxxxx'"' '"'https://api.octopus.energy/v1/electricity-meter-points/yyyyyyyyyyyy/meters/18P5016779/consumption/?period_from={{ (as_timestamp(now()) - (24*3600)) | timestamp_custom("%Y-%m-%d", True) }}T00:00:00'"'

The solution was a) to put it in a new line and b) to surround double quotes with single quotes to protect them being stripped out by Jinja2 parsing (like this - ā€™ " ā€™ )

Thanks for steering me towards the solution everyone!

1 Like

Glad to hear you resolved the problem!

Not that it matters anymore but for the solution I had proposed, this is what I needed to do to make it work:

• Specify the full path to the script file. In my case it was:
command: "/opt/homeassistant/config/test.sh"
  • Ensure the user that owns the Home Assistant process (in my case the userā€™s name is homeassistant) has execution permission for the script file.

Error messages ā€œCommand failed: test.shā€ followed by ā€œtest.sh: not foundā€ mean the specified path was wrong.

Error messages "ā€œCommand failed: test.shā€ followed by ā€œPermission deniedā€ means the process did not have permission to access the script file.

Ah, I thought I might have screwed up the path - whoops! Thanks anyway!

Any chance you could post the working setup? Iā€™m a relatively new Octopus customer and would like to see the energy usage in HA.

Sure:

name: [gas or electricity]
    json_attributes: 
      - results
    command: >-
      curl -H '"'Authorization: Basic [encoded API key here]'"' '"'https://api.octopus.energy/v1/[insert 'gas' or 'electricity' here]-meter-points/[mpan or mprn]/meters/[meter serial number here]/consumption/?period_from={{ (as_timestamp(now()) - (24*3600)) | timestamp_custom("%Y-%m-%d", True) }}T00:00:00'"'

Note that for authorization you will need the encoded API key - easiest way to do this is to get your API key, go to https://client.restlet.com, click ā€˜set an authorizationā€™, copy the API key into the username box, and click ā€˜setā€™ - you should then see the header formed with 'Basic + [encoded API key].

This should return a state of ā€˜48ā€™ which is the number of 30minute intervals returned by the request, then all the attributes are the measurements of the intervals.

Iā€™m rubbish at coding so the way I got a useable value is with this:

gas_yesterday:
    friendly_name: Gas Use Yesterday
    icon_template: mdi:fire
    unit_of_measurement: 'kWh'
    value_template: "{{(state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[0]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[1]['consumption']+....state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[47]['consumption'])|round(3)}}"

ā€¦yes, itā€™s a long line of code adding together all 48 values, then rounding it to 3 decimal places, but it works, and gives the total gas/electricity used in the previous day.

From what I can tell the meter sends the data for the previous day off around 0700h each day because thatā€™s when the sensor refreshes with the next lot of data - so from 0000h to 0700h this wonā€™t have a value because the API hasnā€™t caught up with the command line sensor.

I show both gas and electricity meter readings on the front end in a nice little graph showing my weekly energy usage:

A much more elegant solution would be a nice little bash script that loops around and adds the dictionary array of consumption values together - if you manage this please let me have a copy of your code!

Let me know if you run into any issues.

Oh - by the way - donā€™t be alarmed by your gas consumption numbers, the API reports it in kWh, not metres cubed!!!

3 Likes
  gas_yesterday:
    value_template: "{{(state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[0]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[1]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[2]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[3]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[4]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[5]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[6]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[7]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[8]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[9]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[10]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[11]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[12]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[13]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[14]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[15]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[16]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[17]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[18]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[19]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[20]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[21]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[22]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[23]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[24]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[25]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[26]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[27]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[28]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[29]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[30]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[31]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[32]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[33]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[34]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[35]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[36]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[37]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[38]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[39]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[40]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[41]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[42]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[43]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[44]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[45]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[46]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[47]['consumption'])|round(3)}}"

electricity_yesterday:
    friendly_name: Electricity Use Yesterday
    icon_template: mdi:flash
    value_template: "{{(state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[0]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[1]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[2]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[3]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[4]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[5]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[6]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[7]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[8]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[9]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[10]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[11]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[12]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[13]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[14]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[15]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[16]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[17]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[18]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[19]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[20]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[21]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[22]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[23]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[24]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[25]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[26]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[27]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[28]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[29]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[30]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[31]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[32]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[33]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[34]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[35]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[36]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[37]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[38]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[39]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[40]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[41]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[42]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[43]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[44]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[45]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[46]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.electricity', 'results')[47]['consumption'])|round(3)}}"

Hereā€™s the full code for the sensors that calculate the consumption total for you to copy and paste - should save you a bit of time!

1 Like

Thank you very much, Iā€™ll give this a shot over the weekend! :slight_smile:

How did it go?

If you want to convert kWh to m3 for gas consumption you just need to divide by 11.36 (changes at very end of line 5):

gas_yesterday:
    value_template: "{{(state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[0]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[1]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[2]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[3]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[4]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[5]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[6]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[7]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[8]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[9]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[10]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[11]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[12]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[13]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[14]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[15]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[16]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[17]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[18]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[19]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[20]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[21]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[22]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[23]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[24]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[25]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[26]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[27]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[28]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[29]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[30]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[31]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[32]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[33]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[34]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[35]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[36]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[37]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[38]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[39]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[40]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[41]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[42]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[43]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[44]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[45]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[46]['consumption']+state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results')[47]['consumption']) /11.36 | round(3)}}"

After seeing the value_template you created, it made me wonder if there was a way in Jinja2 to make it more compact.

At first I jumped on the idea of using a for-loop. Just iterate through all the consumption values and add them up. Unfortunately, the latest version of Jinja2 (2.10) has tightened up its scoping rules and, long story short, you canā€™t calculate the sum using a for-loop.

Today I saw this post and thought it was not only clever but a potential solution for making your value_template more compact.

It performs its magic using map and sum. The map creates a list containing the desired attribute values and then sum adds up all entries in the list. Very neat!

Using the Template Editor, I created some data and then tested the template.

{% set x = {"results":[{"consumption": 10}, {"consumption": 20}, {"consumption": 30}, {"consumption": 40}, {"consumption": 50} ]} %}

{{ x.results | map(attribute="consumption") | sum }}

The result is 150 as would be expected from 10+20+30+40+50.

I donā€™t have access to the actual data you are using so I canā€™t confirm that what I have to offer will instantly work for you. Here it is:

value_template: '{{ (state_attr("sensor.gas", "results") | map(attribute="consumption") | sum / 11.36) | round(3)}}'

If it doesnā€™t work, please give me the data from your state_attr('sensor.gas', 'results') and Iā€™ll make it work.

EDIT
As expected, the suggested template did contain an error and has now been corrected as per ajoyceā€™s suggestion.

3 Likes

Oh @123.

I like you a lot.

That works absolutely perfectly - being of a non-coding background I spent ages looking at python script of variables and for/sum loops and couldnā€™t figure out any way of making it work with a Jinja2 template.

What a beautifully simple bit of code! Many, many thanks for fixing the biggest headache in my configuration.yaml!

1 Like