Testers Needed - Harmony Hub Support Implemented in Python

For what it’s worth I still have the problem of hass not being able to auto install pyharmony:

(homeassistant_venv) homeassistant@homepi:~ $ hass --script check_config
Testing configuration at /home/homeassistant/.homeassistant
16-11-20 17:44:44 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] Error loading homeassistant.components.remote.harmony. Make sure all dependencies are installed
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/homeassistant/loader.py", line 139, in get_component
    module = importlib.import_module(path)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.4/importlib/__init__.py", line 109, in import_module
    return _bootstrap._gcd_import(name[level:], package, level)
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 2254, in _gcd_import
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 2237, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 2226, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1200, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1129, in _exec
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 1471, in exec_module
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 321, in _call_with_frames_removed
  File "/srv/homeassistant/homeassistant_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/homeassistant/components/remote/harmony.py", line 17, in <module>
    import pyharmony
ImportError: No module named 'pyharmony'
16-11-20 17:44:44 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] Unable to find component remote.harmony
16-11-20 17:44:44 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.bootstrap] Unable to find platform remote.harmony
Failed config
  General Errors:
    - Platform not found: remote.harmony

Successful config (partial)

SEEMS to be working fine after a manual install but I haven’t had much experience with it working so I’ll confirm later after I’ve figured it out a bit… Is there any way to have the current_activity in the Remote tile? I haven’t figured that out yet and I just have it separate with both the default Remote tile and:

sensors:
  - platform: template
    sensors:
      family_room:
        value_template: '{{ states.remote.family_room.attributes.current_activity }}'
        friendly_name: 'Family Room'

Still finding the configuration of hass challenging and I wish there was an editor with a real-time preview :stuck_out_tongue:

After having this great component working for two wonderful days, I can’t seem to apply the fix for 1.0.11.

logs:

16-11-20 13:01:25 homeassistant.loader: Loaded remote.harmony from homeassistant.components.remote.harmony
16-11-20 13:01:26 homeassistant.components.remote.harmony: Loading Harmony platform: Harmony Hub
16-11-20 13:01:27 pyharmony.auth: Malformed JSON (GetUserAuthTokenResult): {‘GetUserAuthTokenResult’: None}
16-11-20 13:01:27 homeassistant.components.remote.harmony: Logitech login failed for remote: Harmony Hub

i’ve installed pyharmony 1.0.11, however ‘python3 pyharmony’ returns

python3: can’t open file ‘pyharmony’: [Errno 2] No such file or directory

I’ve also updated the ‘components’ to reflect the new authToken.

are there any specific methods for uninstalling/reinstalling/updating this? i’ve been using the guide at the top of the following post:

tia

If you’re using the Home Assistant virtual environment then make sure you install pyharmony within that environment.

thanks mihalski

i’m in
(hass_venv) hass@raspberrypi:/tmp$
when i
pip install master.zip
and get
Successfully installed pyharmony-1.0.11
upon completion
however still get:
pi@raspberrypi:~ $ python3 pyharmony
or
(hass_venv) hass@raspberrypi:/home/pi$ python3 pyharmony

and a hass restart still shows the JSON failure in the log :frowning:

EDIT: success! fyi…
close/stop hass
uninstall pyharmony
delete old harmony_conf
apt-get update/upgrade
reboot
hass now automatically downloads pyharmony 1.0.11, makes the new conf file etc, and the component works again!

big thanks @iandday @mihalski @BTallack @Bahnburner !!!

Thank you Iandday for this fantastic component!
I have it connecting with 2 harmony hubs and will be configuring homeassistant to trigger activities.

I also have an older version of the hub, called Harmony Link.
I see that the readme for some versions of pyharmony refer to support for Link/Hub,

Is there any chance support can be added for the link? (I know it’s asking a lot, but maybe it is not too different than hub)
I will be happy to help if I can. The Link is easy to find for less than $20, so it is a cheap alternative with very similar function to hub.

Thank you!

I cant for the life of me figure out how to install this on a all in one installation.
Is anyone so kind to post which commands i have to run in order to install this?

Hi @mefistofelis

i installed on the HASS AiO, and this process got me there (compiled from posts by @datamonkey @BTallack):

sudo apt-get install subversion
sudo su -s /bin/bash hass
source /srv/hass/hass_venv/bin/activate
cd /tmp
svn export https://github.com/iandday/home-assistant/trunk/homeassistant/components/remote

then copy the ‘remote’ folder manually from:
/srv/hass/hass_venv/tmp
to:
/srv/hass/hass_venv/lib/python3.4/site-packages/homeassistant/components

add the component to your configuration.yaml:

remote:

• platform: harmony
    name: Harmony
    username: YOURHARMONYUSERNAME
    password: YOURHARMONYPASSWORD
    host: YOURHUBIP
    port: 5222

a swift reboot, and HASS will install pyharmony, and should create a new file in your main config dir - harmony_yourharmonyhubname.conf

from there you should be good to go!

1 Like

have you tried setting up the link as a third device? I only have the hubs so I dont know if it would work or not.

Well i did all that and i still cant boot HA.
Is it possible that because my password for harmony contains special charachters such as ! or @ it fails somewhere?

Edit: that was it the whole time i used " " and it worked

Something has changed… 6 minutes stuck at:

16-11-21 07:08:02 INFO (Thread-5) [homeassistant.components.remote.harmony] Loading Harmony component: Family Room

Could it be something to do with the work on the async core? Weird thing is yesterday it started fine a few times even with the latest hass.

can you set logging to debug for the remote component?

@iandday Would you be able to clarify the proper formatting on sending a device command for me?

Activities are pretty straight forward. I’m able to trigger an activity with:

- service: remote.turn_on
      entity_id: remote.living_room_tv
      data:
        activity: "15508274" 

However I’m not sure how I’d trigger a Volume down command. According to the conf file, the receiver is ’ 30557844 - Onkyo AV Receiver’ and the command is ‘VolumeDown’ but I do now know how I’d format this data.

1 Like

I just used the below data to Mute my sound bar

{“entity_id”:“remote.family_room”,“device”:“35128149”,“command”:“Mute”}

So for your case it should be

- service: remote.send_command
      entity_id: remote.living_room_tv
      data:
        device: "30557844"
        command: "VolumeDown"
1 Like

That did the trick. Thanks @iandday!

Now if only I could find a way to make it look a little cleaner than:

You could set a input select component to hold the actions you want, then a script “call action”.

The script would lookup what select option is currently selected, then send that to the Remote Component.

That’s the only suggestion I could think off the top of my head.

See https://home-assistant.io/cookbook/perform_actions_based_on_input_select/

That’s what I did for the Activity select and it worked well. I’m just looking for something to control the volume more cleanly now.

more of a rube goldberg implementation, but what about a Input slider? Min of 1, max of ten, and an initial value of 5. An automation can trigger the appropriate script depending if the value is less or greater than 5, then you can reset the slider to 5 once the volume change script is executed. Might not be great for rapid adjustment of the volume with the delays.

Everything’s working flawlessly over here with version 1.0.11. Thanks for the fix and the constant improvements. This component has come a long way since 0.2.0.

2 Likes

Now I think I may try that just to see if I can do it.

Mine also works this morning after updating, thanks so much @iandday for continued hard work!

Out of interest, why do you need the authentication?
I am sure you may have seen harmonyhubjs-client, which seems to interact locally only?
Link: https://github.com/swissmanu/harmonyhubjs-client