The future of YAML

Eventually that will happen some time in the future. Right now Home Assistant can still be considered beta, as it’s not even at version 1.x. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

Private github repos are still readable by github.com employees. You know, Microsoft. So yes, good that it’s not a public repo, but realize you’re still trusting outside your zone of control.

1 Like

I have over 20 Aeotec Z-Wave devices. And I agree with athome, the adding, removing, and configuring needs work. That I have to scour through a log file just to see if a command worked is bothersome and definitely not user friendly.

I keep hearing about trying to make things easier for everybody but it just sounds you are trying to make easier for less technically savvy people. Some of us have lots of time and energy customizing our systems because we had the power to do so. This does not make it easier for us. This is so typical , once a project gets big enough it gets away from it roots. Sounds like a corporate type decision. Very sad this is going in the wrong direction for some of us :frowning: :frowning:

7 Likes

The answer used to be a solid no every time the question was asked if yaml was going away. Now it is a “No…but” Sounds like back tracking to me

2 Likes

Oh look, a user who is screwed because of a UI configured integration. This would have been dead simple to fix with a yaml config.

3 Likes

Private github repos are still readable by github.com employees. You know, Microsoft. So yes, good that it’s not a public repo, but realize you’re still trusting outside your zone of control.

Other git based repos are avaliable. I quite like BitBucket myself :slight_smile:

You can have a local git server also, some people use git on synology NAS for example.

That should be “a second user…”

I’ve asked twice now in this thread (three if you count this time) but I still haven’t had anyone who promotes the idea of “UI only integrations” explain how someone is supposed to “officially” fix a failed integration that was configured via the UI if the UI doesn’t load.

Come on, people, let’s “Make It Easy™”!

I have yet to have an integration that a configuration issue caused the UI not to load.

The user in question in that thread had a custom component who’s dependency failed to load, not sure why THAT caused their UI not to load but since it’s not an official component/integration who knows.

1 Like

Maybe you haven’t but I did. And it took several hours of troubleshooting to get everything working again. If I was a “non-tech savvy” user I wouldn’t have been able to even come close to being able to recover from it.

And how common it is isn’t really even the point. It can happen.

But even if the cause is something else (custom component or not), if the error logs say that the error is caused by a certain integration then the logical first step of any troubleshooting procedure has to be removing that integration. Otherwise the error logs are completely superfluous.

And if you can’t remove that component (custom or not) then you are still in the same boat in the end.

There has to be some official way to recover from a failed integration/component configured via the UI that is just as “easy” as simply removing the configuration from your yaml files.

2 Likes

Not to mention that a number of custom components are moving over to the ui set up, so we’re still in the same boat. I’d like to think that this means an ‘official way to fix’ is on its way, but I suspect in the long run they’ll just remove the ability to add custom components.

2 Likes

Yet more:

1 Like

tell me about it. I am stack from the morning and now I am looking for a way to reinstall HA and I don’t know how :frowning:

I just had an epiphany…

We are all thinking that the “Make It Easy™” concept was to make it easy for users when all along it was to meant to make it easy for the dev’s.

Now it makes perfect sense! :grinning:

I keed, I keed…or not… :wink:

1 Like

The same I said 12 days ago.

1 Like

Of course.

Always late on the uptake… :grinning:

What is amazing is how Home complicated Home Assistant is. It has over 1500 integrations, lots of custom components, and many systems that it will run on. The more you use it the more you find out what you don’t know. I appreciate all the effort that the developers are doing. Making it easier for development is a good thing. It is a long way from being easy for non technical users.

I think it fits here.

1 Like

That’s what I suspect…take away all the customisability (not UI configurable) is the road they are on.

1 Like

Your “more” example is another user using a custom component. Those components aren’t supported by the HA devs or the core system so their behaviour can’t be guaranteed. All of your examples so far have been people doing unsupported things and then having stuff break.

Can you find an example where someone wasn’t using a custom component?

1 Like