The Future of Z-Wave in HA - QT-OpenZWave

They are stored on each device. Right now, you can use MQTT to alter them (or view them, they are part of the Node Tree)

Can you open a issue on the main openzwave repo with a log from when you lock/unlock the device?

Sure thing.

EDIT: Issue created with relevant log entries

I am making progress and have all my devices added and can see them and their data in both mqtt explorer and openzwave admin gui. I am hping someone can help me solve two remaining issues:

1. I need help figuring out how to enable polling for old GE zwave devices (12722) and dimmers that donā€™t seem to update status. I think this means I need to enable polling and set an interval (on the controller?) and then for the devices with issue I also need to enable polling and a polling_intensity. I think this means I need to publish an mqtt command and use mqttexplorer but am not sure how to structure it. Something with setValue and enablePoll but I have never done this before and could use some help!

2. For the GE dimmers (14294) it looks like there is a scene value which I believe can be used with double-tap. To make this work previously I needed to add an association between the dimmer and controller. Can anyone help me figure out how that would work in qt-openzwave? Is this another mqtt command?

Thanks for any help!

I need help figuring out how to enable polling for old GE zwave devices (12722) and dimmers that donā€™t seem to update status.

Did they work fine in OZW 1.4, or did you also enable polling? If the former, you may be experiencing this problem. Non-zwave plus Jasco devices are not detecting physical events. Ā· Issue #110 Ā· OpenZWave/qt-openzwave Ā· GitHub. If the latter, you can use the enablepoll command with the Level value. qt-openzwave/docs/MQTT.md at 20d38006c4231b1db46c9819fe19f5b95e3affe4 Ā· OpenZWave/qt-openzwave Ā· GitHub. Use MQTT Explorer to find the Level value.

For the GE dimmers (14294) it looks like there is a scene value which I believe can be used with double-tap

This is not supported by ozwdaemon. Add support for Basic command class Ā· Issue #60 Ā· OpenZWave/qt-openzwave Ā· GitHub

Thanks. They worked with polling enabled in the built in zwave integration that used 1.4. In the new qt-openzwave 1.6 it did not appear to enable polling for those devices when added. I will try the enablepoll command and see if I can figure out how to send that via mqtt.

All command topics are in the same format:

OpenZWave/1/command/enablepoll/

All message payloads are JSON, the docs tell you what keys to provide. In this case:

{
  "ValueIDKey": 123456789,
  "Intensity": 1
}

You have to find the value id key for what you want to poll. For a dimmer switch, itā€™s the value with the ā€œLevelā€ label in the COMMAND_CLASS_SWITCH_MULTILEVEL command class (38).

When I tried polling it didnā€™t seem to matter what intensity was set to, it always polled every 30 seconds.

2 Likes

Thanks so much. This is really helpful. I will try this shortly and edit my above post if it fixes anything.

EDIT: Thank you again! This worked. I added polling to one device and that one updates when polled now (so my status is only out of sync for up to about 30 seconds max). I will now add this to other devices and see how bad the network degradation is.

As an aside, the most recent GE/Jasco dimmers 46203 seem to update fine but still have the weird toggle back and forth behavior in the home assistant front end due to slow dimming ramp.

Question about the new ā€œOpenZwaveā€ addon.

If all device (zwave) are added to my gen5 aeotec stick.

Where is the right place to make a backup of the zwave stick to protect from a broken stick/other?

What would be the procedure to backup/restore my zwave network?

1 Like

You might just try doing a simple Google search on backup aeotec stick. You will find the software and procedure documented very well.

Thansk, your answer is partially. I do not want to do it externally but automatically preferably via home assistant. And where is it stored? Stick or not?

Not possible, if I recall correctly the zwave stick backup software is windows only.

When calling the ozw.add_node service to add my Schlage lock, what value do I put for the ā€˜secureā€™ parameter? I already have a secure network key configured.

UPDATE: I got it working. The payload should be

{ā€˜secureā€™: True}

has anyone been able to use a custom device xml file with the add-on? No matter what I do if i set a custom device type xml when i refreshnode or exclude and re-add the device it crashes the daemon and continues to crash it until I remove the custom device type xml. The same XML works perfectly outside the add-on (using ozw-admin in local server mode it works perfect).

just wondering if anyone has been able to add an xml device type? (using the add-on)

Today i added my Homeseer HSM100 multisensor.
The device worked under the ā€œoldā€ integration, i had to enable polling to get the temp end luminance values.
To get motion events i had a automation setup to listen to the node event BASIC-LEVEL value changing from 0 to 255.
I have been fiddling for hours to get this sensor to report motion without any luck.

Does anybody have any clues or tips to get the motion sensor part to report?
Any help is much appreciated.

Thanks,
br,
Raymond

1 Like

Hi all,
I have one questions perhaps a little out of context.
Im a Homeassistant / Zwave beginner and is currently strugling to get the Aeotech Doorbell 6 to send messages to my homeassistant on the ā€œoldā€ 1.4 zwave software. The Doorbell is connected but im not able to pickup the push of the button in automations.
Iā€™ve tried to use the guide in this post Aeotech ZW162 Doorbell but failed to get to work.

So here is my questions - is Zwave software version 1.6 having a way to detect the push of the button?
(here 1.4 needs a workaround)

sidenote: im using ā€œvenvā€ on ubuntu (running on ESXi) - and the Aeotech USB zwave stick (pass through from ESXi)

Sorry for noob question :slight_smile:

I have the same problem, so the same question :slight_smile:

Iā€™m currently working with @Fishwaldo on my own personal setup and the solution may fix this problem. It seems v1.6 of OpenZwave has this issue with many old devices. Stay tuned.

1 Like

@petro, @Fishwaldo
A few years back i tried Openhab as a domotica solution. Back then my homeseer hsm100 sensors also didnā€™t show their motion sensor states.
Chris Jackson who maintains their ZWave implementation helped me and got the sensors working.
In Openhab its called express control: https://www.cd-jackson.com/index.php/zwave/zwave-device-database/zwave-device-list/devicesummary/140
Maybe its helpful for you guys.

If i can do anything to help/test, let me know.

Thanks for all your hard work,
br,
Raymond

One thing you could do is download MQTT explorer. Using that you can easily see what the sensor sends when it detects motion. You could use HA to trigger off that MQTT topic or maybe even figure out what the device XML changes would need to be to get it to report properly