The Raspberry Pi 4 has been announced!

Not with a 3+ (or I assume, a 4).

See here:
https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/msd.md

Can asnyone recommend a USB SSD to use with this? Or an enclosure to use with a regular SSD?

Will the 3B software work on the 4? Mine should be arriving tomorrow!

I purchased the following drive and cable for my 3+. Kingston 120GB A400 SSD 2.5ā€™ā€™ SATA 7MM 2.5-Inch SA400S37/120G. Sabrent USB 3.0 to SSD / 2.5-Inch SATA Hard Drive Adapter [Optimized for SSD, Support UASP SATA III] (EC-SSHD). Total price was a little less than $30. The drive is self-contained so can just sit next the the 3+.

Youā€™re lucky !

RPi 4 is old out in Franceā€¦ I have to wait for 3 weeksā€¦ :fearful:
But I curious to know if the software works on pi 4 !

Iā€™m waiting for your feedback impatiently !

First off the bat will be a change in firmware to reflect the change in design/specs v Raspberry Pi 3b+.

I wouldnā€™t be in any panic to order the Raspberry Pi 4. At minimum you will need to do a full distribution upgrade to reflect firmware changes v Pi3 b+ and Raspbian is on the verge of releasing Raspbian Buster which could well mean that no further developmental work on Raspbian Stretch is happening.

For those who have already ordered their Raspberry Pi 4 be prepared to get your hands a little dirty.

I noticed that the 4gb model is sold out so this could be the best reason to sit back and wait for a bit. Why have 2gb when for an extra Ā£10 you can have 4gb.

If itā€™s ā€œnot that hardā€, why, then, are there several dozens of videos on You tube explaining how to run Raspian from a USB drive? No two alike.

A lot of confusion stems from what flavour of Home Assistant the user is running.

Iā€™m running HA in a venv on a Raspberry Pi 3b+ and itā€™s fairly straightforward but Iā€™ve seen so many comments some saying you can boot Hassio from USB and others saying you canā€™t. I donā€™t use Hassio so I canā€™t comment on that.

I will say the Youtubers sometimes create more questions than they answer.

You can definitely run Hassio from a USB drive on a 3+ running raspbian stretch lite. I just converted my setup a month or so ago. Yes, the information is all on online but it is confusing because there are no instructions for purely a raspberry pi. Itā€™s either for NUC, or generic linux, or Hassbian. Maybe I should write up my process?

4 Likes

That might be an idea. Could put an end to all those on line myths of ā€œcan we, canā€™t weā€. :bulb:

This is great news. Need to pick one up just to play with but Iā€™m a few hours late to the party! Sold out (buyapi.ca) and back ordered to August (CanaKit) in Canada for the 4GB models.

Really looking forward to trying out the Pi 4, this is quite a step up from the 3 IMO.

Nice, but unfortunately we still need to have the OS on an SD Card.

I believe a firmware/os update will allow USB boot in the future, so no need for an SD card if you donā€™t want to use one. :slight_smile:

USB boot available now so that wonā€™t change.

Until a stable version of Raspbian for the Pi 4 becomes available it will all remain very experimental so thereā€™ll be few rushing to install a production version of HA.

I think they meant USB boot for HassOS. Sure you can go the Raspian+Docker+Hass.io route on USB boot but canā€™t run HassOS direct from USB yet (unless I am mistaken)

1 Like

Apparently the pi 3b+ can boot off USB or SD with their stock Raspbian images. Donā€™t really see why that wouldnā€™t with with Hass.os?

But Iā€™m far from an expert so Iā€™m sure thereā€™s a good reason!

Well it doesnā€™t boot with HassOS from USB and while I see that you can move the dB to a USB now, I donā€™t see any indication booting from USB is going to be supported any time soon or everā€¦

1 Like

Ah. Thatā€™s a shame.

Hi,

I think there might be a solution in the future:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/booteeprom.md

Br,
Raymond

From what Iā€™ve read, on the Pi 3 B+ (and probably Pi 4 B), if you burned the Raspbian image onto an SSD instead of an SD card, the Pi will boot from the SSD if it doesnā€™t detect an SD card. So I speculate if you burned the HASSIO image onto an SSD, it may work also. The thing Iā€™m wondering is whether HASSIO is smart enough to make use of all available space on the SSD.

I havenā€™t actually tried doing this. Maybe someone who has can chime in with more definitive info.

Documentation says you can just burned the Rasbian image right on to the SSD instead of an SD card, and itā€™ll just work. Do you think this is also the case with the HASSIO Raspberry Pi image?

Very informative. Thank for posting the link.